• You cannot reply to this topic

Future ideas for Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 06 July 2023 - 07:07 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 06 July 2023 - 06:31 AM, said:

Open Rails default value for adhesion correction is 100%, and the moving average filter is no more used.

As of U2023.07.05-0722, which I updated to yesterday:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/429042953755951124/1126530022438609068/bild.png

#42 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 July 2023 - 11:04 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 06 July 2023 - 06:31 AM, said:

Open Rails default value for adhesion correction is 100%, and the moving average filter is no more used.

That's a puzzle. I thought I had made that change ages ago.
Well spotted.

#43 User is offline   Niknak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR NewYear MG

Posted 06 July 2023 - 11:27 AM

It's also shown as 130% on the ORMG version too.

#44 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 06 July 2023 - 12:02 PM

I forgot updating the GUI when I did the changes. My intention was to keep the correction factor at 100% by default. I believe the model is currently stable enough to produce stable results with that.

#45 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 06 July 2023 - 07:47 PM

Another idea--new gauges for steam locomotives:

1. BACK PRESSURE GAUGE: Not all locomotives have them, but when so equipped, they assist the engineer in choosing the right cutoff setting. Back in the day, the recommended back pressure was about 6-14 psi when the loco was in operation. Unlike steam chest pressure gauges, which measure the steam pressure on the intake side of the valves, back pressure gauges measure the pressure on the exhaust side of the valve. Since the extended HUD already has a readout for back pressure, this can be easily implemented.

2. RECEIVER PRESSURE GAUGE: On compound locomotives, these measure the steam pressure in the receiver pipe (between the high and low pressure cylinders) and help the engineer determine whether the engine is working either simple or compound. Usually, engineers made the switch from simple to compound when the receiver pipe pressure reached 70-80 psi (unless the loco was fitted with an automatic intercepting valve).

3. PYROMETER: Most commonly found on superheated locomotives, the pyrometer measures the temperature of the incoming superheated steam to the steam chest. The pyrometer provides a more accurate and instantaneous indication of locomotive performance, as it is much more responsive to water and fire conditions that lower the total superheat. When the engine is in operation, and the throttle is wide open, the pyrometer should give a reading equal to (based on the information provided by the extended HUD): (Water Temp + Max Superheat) * Throttle Opening. Anything lower than this is an indication of either priming, foaming, a bad fire condition or other adverse conditions that affect locomotive performance.

(Side Note: On locomotives equipped with front-end (smokebox) throttles, the "Maximum Superheat" and "Current Superheat" should ideally be the exact same value at all times, regardless of throttle opening percentage, since the superheater elements are always filled with steam. Since the pyrometer measures the temperature of the steam at the steam chest, only the pyrometer value should fluctuate with throttle opening.)

4. STOKER STEAM GAUGE(S): On locomotives equipped with mechanical stokers, there were two or more pressure gauges, one showing the pressure of the steam being delivered to the stoker engine (indicating the feed rate of the stoker), and two or more gauges showing the pressure of the steam at the distributor steam jets (which help spread the coal over the entire grate area).

Also, an improvement to tender water gauges--it would be nice to specify the calibration of the tender water gauge as a height unit (inches, cm, etc.) instead of a volume unit. Most tender water gauges are calibrated in the height of the water level above the tender bottom, especially when the tender water tank is an irregular shape. Here is an example PRR tender diagram that shows the correlation between water height and volume.

#46 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 06 July 2023 - 09:22 PM

Some good ideas above. Various compound systems may need to be developed before we can have a receiver pressure gauge. Pyrometer is one that I had thought of. Another missing gauge for modern diesel and electric locos would be an AIR FLOW METER for the brake system.

#47 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 07 July 2023 - 07:12 AM

My venture into the brake system code indicated that it should be fairly easy to determine what the flow rate is (the amount of air moving from the main res to the brake pipe is already calculated, just have to convert it to units of volume/time), maybe add some filtering to avoid jitters, then make it available for the HUD and cabviews to use. It's a useful bit of information that I'm surprised we've gone so long without having.

#48 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 07 July 2023 - 11:19 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 06 July 2023 - 12:02 PM, said:

I forgot updating the GUI when I did the changes.

Sorry, Cesar, I didn't mean to take credit for work that you had done. No wonder, when I searched through my PRs, I couldn't find this one !

#49 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor

Posted 07 July 2023 - 12:13 PM

Sorry, Cesar, I didn't mean to take credit for work that you had done. No wonder, when I searched through my PRs, I couldn't find this one !

Don't worry, my point was that it was my mistake, not yours. IIRC the changes related to adhesion were done at the same time as menu option redefinitions.

I'll submit a PR with reorganized adhesion options.

#50 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 07 July 2023 - 11:13 PM

View Postcesarbl, on 07 July 2023 - 12:13 PM, said:

I'll submit a PR with reorganized adhesion options.

Many thanks.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users