• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future ideas for Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 May 2023 - 06:34 PM

I'll also add to my list something that's been overlooked since the MSTS era--Simple Collision Detection for Smoke, Steam and Exhaust Particles. I bet most of you are already tired of steam/smoke/exhaust clipping through the interiors of passenger cars (see post # 354)!

#22 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 May 2023 - 11:02 PM

I'd love to see a parameter to shift the main shape if there isn't one already. I have lots of wonderful rolling stock from SLI, but almost none of it sits on the rails correctly and moving things with SFM is tedious, especially since repainters have to instruct the end user on how to fix their shapes to avoid uploading payware models.

#23 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:00 PM

Something that's been bugging me--the way ORTS treats passenger stops--it's supposed to start loading automatically when your train comes to a complete stop, but that's not always the case given certain rolling stock parameters.

If we could bring back the use of a key command to initiate the loading/unloading process that'd be great. We could even add a requirement that the locomotive be "set and centered" (meaning that the brakes have been sufficiently applied and the reverse is in the center or neutral position) before loading can commence.

We should also modify the requirement for stopping position from "the entire consist must be between the platform markers" to "AT LEAST ONE passenger carriage needs to be between the platform markers."

And then there's double-stops, for consists that are too long to fit within the platform markers...

#24 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:43 PM

View PostErickC, on 29 May 2023 - 11:02 PM, said:

I'd love to see a parameter to shift the main shape if there isn't one already. I have lots of wonderful rolling stock from SLI, but almost none of it sits on the rails correctly and moving things with SFM is tedious, especially since repainters have to instruct the end user on how to fix their shapes to avoid uploading payware models.

The best I know of right now for shape file shifting is CentreOfGravity ( x y z ), where setting the z value to something other than 0 will shift the wagon forwards and backwards. This is definitely a suboptimal solution as I think the y value of the center of gravity is actually used in some physics calculations which will be at risk of messing up, and the code specifically ignores any z offset greater than 1 meter. Also, it's completely useless for shifting things up/down or left/right. A dedicated token for shape offset would be a no-brainer.

#25 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:11 PM

View PostWeter, on 31 May 2023 - 07:23 PM, said:

Hello.
Didn't You forget doors opening?
Trams, commuter and metro trains are rarely been "centered" at so frequent stops. After all, some have "safety pedal".

I didn't forget, it's just that, at the present time, not all rolling stock has animated doors.

#26 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:14 AM

View PostWeter, on 31 May 2023 - 11:49 PM, said:

Oh, no: I've meant opening of doors event as a trigger for boarding to start :)

Still seems a bit pointless when the rolling stock doesn't have animated doors.

#27 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:15 AM

View Postpschlik, on 31 May 2023 - 08:43 PM, said:

The best I know of right now for shape file shifting is CentreOfGravity ( x y z ), where setting the z value to something other than 0 will shift the wagon forwards and backwards. This is definitely a suboptimal solution as I think the y value of the center of gravity is actually used in some physics calculations which will be at risk of messing up, and the code specifically ignores any z offset greater than 1 meter. Also, it's completely useless for shifting things up/down or left/right. A dedicated token for shape offset would be a no-brainer.

Yep, and it's the vertical axis that's the problem, especially with SLI shapes which have a tendency to either be buried in the rail or floating above it.

#28 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:21 AM

I think we might need a cab control for regulating firing rate, specifically for quasi-simulating stoker-fired and oil-burning locos.

I know there's people who'd say we should go 100% with all the relevant physics and valves for the super-mega-accurate oil-burning simulation, because that's super cool and all and we're all excited, but I suggest this much simpler idea as a start for simulating the firing valve or stoker motor control.

#29 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:42 AM

View PostJonatan, on 01 June 2023 - 07:21 AM, said:

I think we might need a cab control for regulating firing rate, specifically for quasi-simulating stoker-fired and oil-burning locos.

I know there's people who'd say we should go 100% with all the relevant physics and valves for the super-mega-accurate oil-burning simulation, because that's super cool and all and we're all excited, but I suggest this much simpler idea as a start for simulating the firing valve or stoker motor control.

It would be a good idea to add a simple control that could be in fixed steps. Mechanical stokers and oil burners generally had a fixed number of notches. (I would like to see them use a fixed number of notches for AI firing too, but have been told that is not going to happen!)

#30 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:21 PM

Linking to another idea I'd like to see happen http://www.elvastowe...d-to-headlight/

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users