#341 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 April 2022 - 04:36 AM

Hi Peter,

steamer_ctn, on 18 April 2022 - 09:50 PM, said:

I have changed some code in the adhesion coefficient of the locomotive (PR #620) which I believe now makes the "Adhesion proportional to rain/fog/snow" redundant.

That seems very sensible.

I will remove the option and we will see if the users remain content.

#342 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 26 April 2022 - 06:59 AM

cjakeman, on 19 April 2022 - 04:36 AM, said:

I will remove the option and we will see if the users remain content.

Attached Image: 2022-04-26 15_40_30-Window.jpg
So this bottom checkbox will disappear.

Regarding the other checkboxes shown here, I didn't get much response to my posts about Load DDS textures or MSTS environments, so I've asked some questions privately and learned that, if DDS textures are available, then they should be used. (DDS is more modern and standard than ACE.)

With this in mind I shall be removing these two checkboxes from the Experimental tab.

The "MSTS environments" would be better as a route-specific control, so that checkbox will also go and "MSTS environments" will instead be actioned by a new parameter in the TRK file:

ORTSUseEnvironmentFile ( 1 )

I wonder how many other controls should be route-specific?
How about "Open/close doors on AI trains"?
How about "Super-elevation"?

#343 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 April 2022 - 07:45 AM

Why should we turn off doors opening on AI trains?
Super-elevation can look very nasty, so it has sence to live its parameters and possibility to turn it on/off.
DDS/ace works odd, for instance with BNSF scenic route, some textures won't be loaded if DDS unchecked, but with other MSTS-heritage routes, DDS should be turned off...

#344 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 26 April 2022 - 08:30 AM

Hello.

Super-elevation can look very nasty, so it has sence to live its parameters and possibility to turn it on/off.

That's very true, I agree with @Weter.
Two examples of the effect of overlifting. Incorrect track construction, i.e. missing Frog element and an overzealous user.
https://kephost.net/p/2021/33/4458_770cf9816f37.jpg
Image signature: due to the overlift in the lower left corner, one track obscures the other. I think the minimum length should be 130-150 meters.

https://kephost.net/p/2021/33/5728_28ddb8eddf26.jpg
Picture signature: tired poor man, and he leaned against the wall to rest so little.

The only thing about the dds texture is that I turned it on once and so far I haven't found any problems. Novice users do not turn it on, this is a problem. The question comes up in different FB groups, but someone always helps.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#345 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 26 April 2022 - 10:34 AM

Hi Weter,

Weter, on 26 April 2022 - 07:45 AM, said:

Why should we turn off doors opening on AI trains?

I think you may have forgotten the discussion earlier in this thread.

The option to disable door opening has been provided as some routes have track data that doesn't correctly indicate the side of the train, so the doors open on the wrong side.

It is already possible to disable the door opening in a route-specific way, so this global checkbox is redundant.

#346 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 26 April 2022 - 10:41 AM

DDS/ace works odd, for instance with BNSF scenic route, some textures won't be loaded if DDS unchecked, but with other MSTS-heritage routes, DDS should be turned off...

I don't understand your comment "with other MSTS-heritage routes, DDS should be turned off".

But if there are no DDS files, then ACE files will be loaded instead. Can you explain what the problem is?

#347 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2022 - 11:59 AM

This phenom has entered into the lore in these parts...TrainSimulations/SLI has two versions of the BNSF Scenic...one for MSTS with ace files and a newer Open Rails version that contains DDS files...the newer version has explicit instructions about installing the route...but as usual many users do not bother to read or follow the instructions and end up with a mess regarding DDS vs ACE files...the result is usually that some shapes are missing ( white outs or blanks ) in OR. If a clean, instructions followed install is made, the mess is usually resolved. There are many-many-many forum posts about this. ( both ET and TS forums)

As a matter of practice I always run OR with DDS in preference to ACE checked and NEVER, not once have I had a problem...and I run a lot of older MSTS routes.

#348 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 26 April 2022 - 02:40 PM

as usual many users do not bother to read or follow the instructions and end up with a mess regarding DDS vs ACE files...the result is usually that some shapes are missing ( white outs or blanks ) in OR. If a clean, instructions followed install is made, the mess is usually resolved

Sounds very applicable to my situation: some misunderstood with that checkbox might be, because of different installations on different PCs.
Well, if that function was already tested and understood, I can say, turning it on gives an advantage. And add, that I'll try and test it, keeping this new information in mind.

if there are no DDS files, then ACE files will be loaded instead
there might be a bug somewhere, but some textures of Scenic route were substituted to gray ORTS placeholder, as in earlier route version. Namely, terminating buffer and tunnel walls.

#349 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 26 April 2022 - 02:51 PM

I have really forgotten, or miss it, but that looks like the particular route's issue, the result of inaccurate marker's placement. So it should be corrected as soon as possible.
While prohibiting AI trains to open their doors (however looking better for players) is only masks that problem, but doesn't bring us closer to its resolve.

I agree, let's deal with doors for every route, but not by global checkbox so far.

#350 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:55 AM

Finally caught up with the last set of changes and resolved the merge conflicts that were blocking them.

Next step is to move some more controls out of the Experimental Tab, which I hope will be emptied and removed.

Attached Image: 2022-08-06 11_51_56-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

The two controls marked in blue will be moved to the Video Tab and the controls on that tab re-arranged neatly and Help icons added.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users