Menu Options Can we simplify them? Rate Topic: -----

#361 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 May 2023 - 10:52 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 07 May 2023 - 09:16 AM, said:

Traditionally electric locomotives in OR were unpowered at startup, so this was what I set as default. On the other hand, both diesel and steam engines behave in the opposite way by default, so any of the options is OK for me.

Please give them the same default behaviour as diesel and steam. For some time now we have been trying to rationalise the menu options, making them more consistent and also gradually emptying the Experimental tab.

I have an idea for the high-level option "Simple controls and physics" to be extended to change all three start-up states together as well as some other controls. More about that later.

#362 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 18 May 2023 - 12:16 PM

Please give them the same default behaviour as diesel and steam. For some time now we have been trying to rationalise the menu options, making them more consistent and also gradually emptying the Experimental tab.

I'll do that. Possibly all the three options could be merged into a "Hot Start" checkbox then.

I have an idea for the high-level option "Simple controls and physics" to be extended to change all three start-up states together as well as some other controls. More about that later.

I wouldn't like that hot start is linked to "simple controls". My preference is a realistic simulation (simple controls off) but with the power already connected. I agree that if simple controls are selected, hot start should be activated, but when simple controls are off hot start should be optional. In some situations, having your train ready to start is more realistic than having to power it on by yourself.

#363 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 May 2023 - 12:14 AM

If we could add an option to turn the wind effect off, or at least change its speed and direction, that'd be great. I'm getting a little tired of seeing the smoke drift sideways at all times instead of going straight up into the air.

#364 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 May 2023 - 03:58 AM

Testing environment?

#365 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 19 May 2023 - 08:06 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 18 May 2023 - 12:16 PM, said:

Possibly all the three options could be merged into a "Hot Start" checkbox then.

I'm not in support of this. Depending on the person, they might wish one to be in hot start mode while the others are not. I personally like to start a session with my steamers ready to go, but enjoy the startup sounds of a diesel.

Again, we can't employ a "this works for everyone" mentality, with so many users having their own unique preferences. We shouldn't be afraid of having more options...

Speaking of starts, how about an option to start with a steamer completely cold? For those who realy like getting involved... :rofl2:

#366 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2023 - 11:10 AM

View PostJonatan, on 19 May 2023 - 08:06 AM, said:

I'm not in support of this. Depending on the person, they might wish one to be in hot start mode while the others are not. I personally like to start a session with my steamers ready to go, but enjoy the startup sounds of a diesel.

Again, we can't employ a "this works for everyone" mentality, with so many users having their own unique preferences. We shouldn't be afraid of having more options...

I agree. We should not be afraid of having more options but, as you can see from the start of this lengthy thread, the Options Menu had become a mess and is now gradually being sorted out with a few redundant options removed and others re-organised.

View Postcjakeman, on 23 January 2022 - 03:18 AM, said:

Here's an animated mock-up showing how we might tackle one of the sliders:

https://youtu.be/wGAOLpccFbU

In an earlier post, the animation tries to show how a slider for Simple - Advanced controls might be used to change many options at once while still allowing settings to be set individually as the user wishes.

The animation only includes the initial loco state for diesel engines, but I guess there would be extra checkboxes for steam and electric.

#367 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 23 May 2023 - 04:05 PM

View PostTraindude, on 19 May 2023 - 12:14 AM, said:

If we could add an option to turn the wind effect off, or at least change its speed and direction, that'd be great. I'm getting a little tired of seeing the smoke drift sideways at all times instead of going straight up into the air.

I would also like to see a ( on/off ) for the wind ( it's certainly not a breeze ) . We don't all live in hurricane country . Too much wind action takes away a lot of the realism in my part of the world . Sure would be appreciated .

Just a thought !

#368 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 May 2023 - 10:44 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 19 May 2023 - 11:10 AM, said:

I agree. We should not be afraid of having more options but, as you can see from the start of this lengthy thread, the Options Menu had become a mess and is now gradually being sorted out with a few redundant options removed and others re-organised.
Sounds like we need an OR policy/guideline covering when it is ok to have a new option, and how it is structured into the Options menu. There may also be some options that are reliant on others, so this either has to be separated, or they need to be linked or covered by the same option.

If we don't have a "framework" then it runs the risk of becoming a "mess" again. Perhaps the ORMT session can work on this.

#369 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 24 May 2023 - 12:59 AM

Hello.

I know I'm making it difficult for the content creators, but what if this thing was transferred to the eng file. It can be adjusted to suit the locomotive so that it can be played with the engine running or with the engine stopped. Of course, this is for electric locomotives and steam locomotives.
Three-position selector switch:
Stopped, Running, Defined by Eng file

Sincerely, Laci1959

#370 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:27 AM

Does anyone know how far that I have to go back to an older version to get rid of the unrealistic constant winds ? I keep many older versions so it's possible to backdate - - - I'm hoping !

Any help would be appreciated .
Thanx !

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users