• You cannot reply to this topic

Settng up an Exclusvive OR Install Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

I hope to experiment with running routes and activities using just an Open Rails install. Do i put the Trains and Routes folders INTO the Open rails folder ? or is there a better way to do it? Do we also need a Global folder, sound folder,etc? can someone post a screen cap of a good OR folder structure? thanks

sorry to not have had time to ask this before but we are building a route that is pretty much only going to work on OR and want to be able to show our testers how to set their install up. thanks for any help on this.

#2 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:12 AM

Well, according to the OR manual, you need to have the GLOBAL, ROUTES, TRAINS and SOUND folders. Your GLOBAL folder needs the SHAPES and TEXTURES folders to support shared objects. (Like XTracks etc.)

The tsection.dat file MUST be present in the GLOBAL folder. Also according to the manual, in GLOBAL, sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat are needed if there are routes that don't have their own specific files with the same names in their root folder.

By the way, the names aren't case-sensitive to Open Rails, but most of us are familiar with the all-caps format since that's how the MSTS installer creates the folders.

I'd seriously consider keeping the Open Rails application folder separate from your Train Simulator folder(s). It keeps the application segregated from the data it's operating on -- that reduces clutter and makes backups and restores clean and easy. OR makes it simple to set up and pick from multiple Train Simulator folders. That way you can group eras, geographical regions, routes under construction etc. -- you can create a logical organization. There may be some duplication of supporting files this way, but given the overall low cost of hard drive space (Unless you use an SSD...) it's worth it in terms of good "housekeeping."

#3 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

You also need a dieselsmoke.ace and a smokemain.ace in the Global\Textures folder. I use the one from 3dTrains. There are others at T-S file library.

#4 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:57 AM

@ChrisGer,

Don't put the trains- and routes-folder into the OpenRails-folder. An Update of OpenRails will delete all files and folders inside the OpenRails-folder.

Cheers Lutz

#5 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

OK thanks guys i understand all of this except for the last post from Lutz

if i dont put the TRAINS and ROUTES IN the Open Rails folder then i wont have an OR only install. I am asking how to make an OR ONLY install with no MSTS at all. this is for our testing team for a new Route project I am one of the leads on and we need to be able to tell our testers how to set up an OR only install with no MSTS as i understand in the future OR will need to convert all MSTS content and wont run MSTS stuff at all. Just want to be ahead of the curve.

So where SHOULD I put the TRAINS and ROUTES folders?

i can btw, update OR by hand, as i understand files and file structures Have worked with this stuff for many years. I am not sure if you mean that update of OR that will delete the folders is just the way the automatic update works.

#6 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Treat Open Rails like you would MS Word. The Program files go in one Folder (C;\Program Files\Microsoft Word). The data (Letters, etc.) go in another folder (My Documents). It is not like MSTS where the data is in subfolders of the MSTS folder.

Example I have Open Rails program installed in C:\Open Rails. My "Data" is installed in various folders in my A: SSD drive Such as A:\MSTS (My old main MSTS installation), A:\WP3raw (This folder has never had MSTS installed just the WP3 route and extra WP rolling stock. Note: the Root folder of this install is completely empty.), A:\CB-ENG Test (This folder specifically setup with ENG files with errors to test ConBuilder), and A:\MSTS-NG (MSTS install just for Narrow Gauge)

#7 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 02 June 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

Treat Open Rails like you would MS Word. The Program files go in one Folder (C;\Program Files\Microsoft Word). The data (Letters, etc.) go in another folder (My Documents). It is not like MSTS where the data is in subfolders of the MSTS folder.

This is a great way to explain it, I might have to borrow it next time someone asks. :)

View PostCrisGer, on 02 June 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

So where SHOULD I put the TRAINS and ROUTES folders?

i can btw, update OR by hand, as i understand files and file structures Have worked with this stuff for many years. I am not sure if you mean that update of OR that will delete the folders is just the way the automatic update works.

The built-in updater deliberately removes everything to avoid any bits getting left over from a previous version. You are recommended to use the updater, but that is certainly your choice and you can turn it off if you wish. If you do use it, remember not to store anything in the same directory or subdirectory as OpenRails.exe.

The key here is that Open Rails does not care where the data is, or even how many sets of data you have; as long as each set of data is structured correctly (like an MSTS install or mini-route is), it works. You should put the data wherever it makes sense for you to keep it, and My Documents is just as good as C:\MSTS.

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hi Chris

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a small section of my train sim drive. Ohio Rails is one route and shows the folder structure required. The testing folder holds a test route and anything I am currently testing. I also included the two Open Rails folders in the shot to show that more than one version of OR can be installed at the same time. They do share settings.

I included the Utils folder but as this is MSTS, you do not need it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR_Folders.jpg

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

A little off topic but it seems a reasonable place to ask. I understand that documentation is installed with the installer but where to? I cannot find it. Or has it been deleted with an update?

#10 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

great help thanks guys.

so Copper...are those folders on the C Drive? or some other Drive? or in program files? curious what to tell ppl to do for placement....for best operation..i am getting a clearer picture much appreciate the help. OR in its own folders, the rest in their own folders, quite sensible.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users