• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Water Flashing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Train-a-Mania 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

On Paul Charland's routes (Springfield Terminal, Dominion Atlantic, and Thousand Islands Railway), he uses objects for replicating water. However, Z-fighting is causing the water to "flash" between layers. Is there any way this could be fixed?

#2 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

Nick,

I've been noticing that as well with Tom Galbardi's Badland's 3 environment, which uses multiple, layered semi-transparent textures for the water. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Paul Charland's water objects, but perhaps it uses something similar. I've also noticed that objects with 2 semi-transparent textures overlapping each other will cause a similar phenomenon. My only workaround for the water is by using a flat/solid single-layer texture, which doesn't have much visual "depth," but it does solve the distracting flashing. For flashing objects (one example being the parked subway cars in LA on the Surfliner 2 route), I retextured the internal windows to have a straight 1-bit alpha, rather than the semi-transparent 8-bit alpha. Hopefully this makes sense and I'm explaining it correctly (please let me know if it doesn't).

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

For flashing objects (one example being the parked subway cars in LA on the Surfliner 2 route), I retextured the internal windows to have a straight 1-bit alpha, rather than the semi-transparent 8-bit alpha. Hopefully this makes sense and I'm explaining it correctly (please let me know if it doesn't).

James has recently posted about this and a related problem, and provided an interesting Wiki link that explains the technicalities.

If you haven't already seen it, the thread is here:

http://www.elvastowe...cing-artifacts/

Cheers Bazza.

#4 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hi Barry,

The problem Nick is having is with the water on three of my routes, the STR, TIR, and DAR. All three have had their BlendX lines changed and were not flickering here, with the people who beta tested, and over the years, none of the thousands of people who have downloaded the routes have mentioned it. Nick's having the problem while running in OR and I thought it might be settings, so I had him change his setting to match mine without any luck.

Not sure, but Nick, do you have the same problem running these routes in MSTS?

Paul :-)

#5 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hi Paul,
I have the flashing in the TIR when running in OR, but not in MSTS. I think I have seen the flashing in OR since 0.9 - the water beside the engine house flashes between blue and brown when the camera elevation changes.
Cheers,

#6 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

Hi Sid,

That's what Nick has been seeing. I don't run that much so haven't noticed the problem. Is there a known solution or just a bug OR has to correct?

#7 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

charland, on 08 June 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

Hi Sid,
That's what Nick has been seeing. I don't run that much so haven't noticed the problem. Is there a known solution or just a bug OR has to correct?

I also get it in the Lehigh route, but to a lesser extent. I thought that I remembered a discussion in one of these forums a long time ago, but I can't find it now. I don't think it was reported officially as a bug (at least I can't find it). Does anyone else remember it as a bug?
Cheers,

#8 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

Known issue - different variations on a theme from as far back as 2013.... search "flashing water" - advanced search choose Open Rails portion of forum - about 5 or 6 threads show.

#9 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

I read some of the older posts and the same problem was fixed back in build 2028... I guess it's broken again.

#10 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

R H Steele, on 09 June 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

Known issue - different variations on a theme from as far back as 2013.... search "flashing water" - advanced search choose Open Rails portion of forum - about 5 or 6 threads show.

Thanks, Gerry, for the update - what is the status of the bug? I see no change since I first noticed the flashing.
Cheers,

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users