• You cannot reply to this topic

Model Instancing - Artifacts Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jdilworth 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hi guys,

Model Instancing has to be one of the best features to date, without question. I'm wondering though, if others also notice flashing/flickering artifacts on objects instanced with transparency (ie. trees)? I read through this forum and noticed others mentioned it too, so I'm wondering if there is a known fix to this issue?

Thanks,
Jason@SLI

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

Hi Jason,

I've found it a pretty common issue and while I've found posts that said search the forum for a solution - I've yet to find a definitive answer... I had planned on trying to greatly increase the volume sphere parameter in the shape file - as I know it's a solution to stop certain types of objects from disappearing at certain view angles - but I haven't tried it yet and it's just a wild guess...

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

jdilworth, on 07 June 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

Model Instancing has to be one of the best features to date, without question. I'm wondering though, if others also notice flashing/flickering artifacts on objects instanced with transparency (ie. trees)? I read through this forum and noticed others mentioned it too, so I'm wondering if there is a known fix to this issue?

The only known issue is this one, where a large number of instances cause problems with their locations (they jump around a bit like flickering).

I've not seen other mentions of the issue you describe, though, and don't recall seeing anything like it myself.

Given the rendering code is identical for instanced and non-instanced objects, are you absolutely certain that's the trigger? Can you grab it in a screenshot?

#4 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hi James,

I notice it most when you have a couple different types of vegetation stacked in close proximity to each other - such as weeds along the right of way placed by a gantry entry... What happens is - even if not moving the camera perspective - all of one type of vegetation will be blinking constantly - it's there for a second or two then gone for a second or two... I've seen examples on multiple routes using different shapes - such as Rick's Monon and the Tri-State project... Back when instancing first came out I turned it off and the flashing stopped - I haven't tested it in a while though - I just learned to live with the flashing... I'll try and grab some screens later tonight (EDT)... It seems to be the same thing Jason is referring to and I've seen others mention it as well...

Also - I have more than one machine and it occurs on both so it's unlikely hardware related...

Regards,
Scott

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

Definitely not seen anything happen when the camera's not moving. If the scenery is using alpha blending, though, it is going to get screwed repeatedly. People really should not use alpha blending. :)

#6 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

I've noticed it mostly with large forest regions, both when moving and not moving (including when it's paused), although it seems to come and go. I can't really confirm it, but it almost seems to occur more the longer I play. I hasn't given it much thought, thinking it was due to my not-overly-good ATI Card.

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

James Ross, on 07 June 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

People really should not use alpha blending. :)

Pls define the term "alpha blending".

#8 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

Genma Saotome, on 07 June 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Pls define the term "alpha blending".

The use of any of the following shader names (and any of their +/- sorted variants that some tools show) is going to trigger alpha blending:

• BlendATex
  • BlendATexDiff
  • AddATex
  • AddATexDiff

Alpha testing (sometimes called "cutouts") is separate and fine to use (with a non-blending shader like "TexDiff"). It's the blending (semi-transparent) stuff that's never going to be perfect and is really expensive to get good. This is a generic 3D real-time rendering problem, FWIW, but since not many games allow entirely user-generated content, not many expose the issue.

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

Thanks, James, that's something to aware of when creating content.

The further the OR project goes, so will the number of 'fish hooks' multiply. Given its age, MSTS actually did some* things quite well, once you removed the barbs off the hooks, of course. :)

*Don't ask me to enumerate them, I'd likely go >>> :)

Cheers Bazza.

#10 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

What about for forest regions, which don't use specific shape files of their own? Or, is what I'm experiencing possibly a different problem altogether (maybe with my graphics card?) http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unknw.gif

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users