• You cannot reply to this topic

Are we missing blended braking in OR? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

I get nervous whenever there is a suggestion to "fix" a data-driven problem in the code.

Might it be better to add a new parameter to .eng files... BlendedBraking ( Yes | No )? There might be locomotives that have all the elements mentioned but don't brake in the way you expect and so a code only "fix" would be inappropriate for them.

Or is the issue need a bigger "fix"... Matej mentioned levers vs. controllers. what was that about?

#22 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

Actually, what I mentioned implies adding new control curve(s) anyway. :)

#23 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

I've implemented simple dynamic brake blending (not committed yet), and i'm trying to follow the MSTS style (not exactly that, but something like that) at first. As i can't run MSTS since 2009, i just trying to remember how it was.

Currently it works like this in my implementation: the dynamic braking is enabled when trainbrake lever is at Service/EPApply 0%, and reaches full force at Service/EPApply 100%, on further braking notches like Full service, continous service, suppression, and emergency, stays at 100%. DB is disabled if the trainbrake lever is below Service/EPApply 0% (so at quick release, release, lap, etc notches).
It works even if no dynamic brake lever/controller defined. If there is DB lever/controller defined, then the higher setting is applied ( if TB lever is at Service 55% and DB lever at 60% = 60% dynamic brake, if TB lever is at Service 75%, DB lever is at 40% = 75% dynamic brake).

How is this sounds?

Later i want to add an .eng parameter that decide, if the dynamic brake lever is not in "release" postion is overrides the blending or not(ORTSDynamicBrakeLeverOverride), and another to decide if the dynamic brake percentage should follow the trainbrake lever movement, or should be applied like how the brake cylinder pressure changes i.e. "virtual brake cylinder pressure" (ORTSDynamicBrakeVirtualCylinder), and brake with the same force as the airbrake would(combined with the currently available airbrake auto bailoff if dynamic braking is on).
Also another param should be added for realism i think: ORTSDynamicBrakeRegenerative 0/1. If it's set to 1 on electrics, then the dynamic braking would be available only if there is line voltage.

#24 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

View Postdisc, on 13 December 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

I've implemented simple dynamic brake blending (not committed yet), and i'm trying to follow the MSTS style (not exactly that, but something like that) at first. As i can't run MSTS since 2009, i just trying to remember how it was.

Currently it works like this in my implementation: the dynamic braking is enabled when trainbrake lever is at Service/EPApply 0%, and reaches full force at Service/EPApply 100%, on further braking notches like Full service, continous service, suppression, and emergency, stays at 100%. DB is disabled if the trainbrake lever is below Service/EPApply 0% (so at quick release, release, lap, etc notches).
It works even if no dynamic brake lever/controller defined. If there is DB lever/controller defined, then the higher setting is applied ( if TB lever is at Service 55% and DB lever at 60% = 60% dynamic brake, if TB lever is at Service 75%, DB lever is at 40% = 75% dynamic brake).

How is this sounds?

Later i want to add an .eng parameter that decide, if the dynamic brake lever is not in "release" postion is overrides the blending or not(ORTSDynamicBrakeLeverOverride), and another to decide if the dynamic brake percentage should follow the trainbrake lever movement, or should be applied like how the brake cylinder pressure changes i.e. "virtual brake cylinder pressure" (ORTSDynamicBrakeVirtualCylinder), and brake with the same force as the airbrake would(combined with the currently available airbrake auto bailoff if dynamic braking is on).
Also another param should be added for realism i think: ORTSDynamicBrakeRegenerative 0/1. If it's set to 1 on electrics, then the dynamic braking would be available only if there is line voltage.

I would need to test that in order to see if it works as it does on MSTS.

As for the RTSDynamicBrakeRegenerative 0/1 idea, I do like it!

#25 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

test: Attached File  RunActivity.zip (314.78K)
Number of downloads: 319 for ver 3388.

For blended dynamic braking the dynamic brake % on hud won't move, just 0% appears when enabled(if there is dynamic brake controller added in .eng), but at axle driving force, and cab instruments should always show everything. The % on the hud shows the position of the DB lever (if exists).

#26 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

View Postdisc, on 14 December 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

test: Attachment RunActivity.zip for ver 3388.

For blended dynamic braking the dynamic brake % on hud won't move, just 0% appears when enabled(if there is dynamic brake controller added in .eng), but at axle driving force, and cab instruments should always show everything. The % on the hud shows the position of the DB lever (if exists).

As for how you describe it, it is what I expected on the first place. :) With the Czech rolling stock, however, it did not work. Tested loco can be downloaded here: http://modely-msts.c.../cd_163-079.exe
Sounds and cab: http://modely-msts.c...y/zvuky_X6X.exe http://trainset.simt...b163065_WTB.zip

#27 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Try with default acela trains. I don't like to install any content with installer.

It works with that czech locomotive however that .eng is seriously misconfigured. It takes a minute to release the airbrake, and the brake jump immediately continous service, then to emergency, and there is a combined brake handle defined but there is another train brake handle. This does not makes sense.
The brakes are uncontrollable on this loco.

With better throttle and brake lever settings, everything is ok.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-12-14 10-02-19.jpg

#28 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:17 AM

Hi disk
What build you using? I am downloaded runactivity from post 25. Put in version x3388 and blended no work neither Acela. Number built is 0.0.5826.34830 (2015-12-14 19:21:00Z). On your screen is number 0.0.5826.38678 (2015-12-14 21:29:16Z).

About train brake lever. In MSTS notch TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart lap presure in brake pipe for elektric and diesel lokomotive. On steam decrease presure in brake pipe. In OR only decrease presure in brake pipe for all lokomotives.

for cd_163079
Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.06 0.3
NumNotches ( 4
Notch ( 0 0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch ( 0.3 0 TrainBrakesControllerHoldLappedStart )
Notch ( 0.6 0 TrainBrakesControllerContinuousServiceStart )
Notch ( 0.95 0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart )
)
)

#29 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

Due to that weird brake settings, the dynamic brake only applied at continous service, and emergency

Throttle ( 0 1 0.05 0 
                NumNotches ( 0 )
            )
            Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.05 0.4
                NumNotches( 4
	           Notch(0    0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
	           Notch(0.2  1 TrainBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapLimitedHoldingStart  )
	           Notch(0.9  0 TrainBrakesControllerFullServiceStart )
	           Notch(1.0  0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart )
                )
            )

With these settings it's controllable, and has percentages, instead of binary brake. If i does not work on acela, then you're running runactivityLAA, which isn't included in zip.

#30 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:03 AM

This is no weird brake settings. Lovomotice in real word have not percentages braking. Only fixed notch and each have their function. One control lever for power, dynamic brake and pneumatic brake.

I am using no runactivityLAA and Acela no working blended function.

Attached File(s)

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users