• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are we missing blended braking in OR? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:42 AM

Blended braking is one of the very few MSTS features that aren't yet available in OR. I got a request for addition of such feature. Are there other people missing it (although I wouldn't volunteer for that, as I'm not the expert on brakes)? Is it worth implementing it?

#2 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

Yep I say it's very worth implementing since out here in North America trains like Amtrak use it. Some braking parameters like the default Acela use it along with protections to the brake shoes from power braking with a limit as to where power is cut out.

BrakesEngineControllers( "Train, Dynamic, Blended" )

DoesBrakeCutPower( 1 )
BrakeCutsPowerAtBrakeCylinderPressure( 15 )

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:40 AM

I would implement it if needed, but I don't know how it is supposed to work. I would like to implement it in a way that works both in Europe and America.

#4 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:50 AM

Mimicking the MSTS blended braking might be a good start; it ought to work fairly well for passenger train implementations across the board as a means of gentle, controlled braking -- even if it isn't the prototypical method in every case. That would at least help meet the stated 1.0 goal of matching MSTS behavior.

Branching out beyond that is probably best left to releases beyond 1.0 -- and opens up a wider variety of braking systems. There are electro-pneumatic systems and the anti-locking varieties (Usually referred to as anti-slide or anti-skid in railway terminology, but functionally similar in principle to anti-lock brakes on cars that use a servo system to modulate brake application at the wheels regardless of brake pipe pressure).

I run mostly US prototypes in OR which uses the single-pipe air system. Forgive my ignorance, but is the twin-pipe system often used in the rest of the world being fully modeled in OR? If not, that would certainly be welcomed.

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

View PostEricF, on 21 January 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

[...]

I run mostly US prototypes in OR which uses the single-pipe air system. Forgive my ignorance, but is the twin-pipe system often used in the rest of the world being fully modeled in OR? If not, that would certainly be welcomed.

At least here in Europe, twin pipe brakes are standard.

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

I also agree that starting mimicking MSTS (but how does MSTS manage blended braking exactly?) is a good idea. However to take into account different locos from different countries, one idea that I suggest is to implement support for double-interpolated braking curves, that can be structured like the curves already available in OR for the tractive force (see e.g. paragraph 8.14 of the manual).
There could be two tables, organized as follows:
- for the dynamic/electric brake:
ORTSDynamicBrakeBlending(
brakecontroller%value_0 (
speed_value0 dynamicbrakecontroller%value0
speed_value1 dynamicbrakecontroller%value1
speed_valuen dynamicbrakecontroller%valuen
)
brakecontroller%value_a (
)

brakecontroller%value_100 (
)
)

for the train brake:
ORTSTrainBrakeBlending()
organized as the above table.
The double interpolation functions should be already available within the OR code.
It has also to be evaluated if putting outside of the internal parentheses the speed values and inside the brake controller values were be a better solution.

When such tables are not there, the standard MSTS approach is used.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

As a contribution to this theme, I write here how blending is implemented in some Italian locos and EMUs, by translating some info I got.
- in the most part of the Italian trains with electric braking (with the exception of the TAF EMU and of the E464 single-cab loco for push-pull trains) the brake lever has a first position where only the electric braking is active with maximum electric braking force, and from the second position in addition to the electric braking also the pneumatic braking begins to be active.
- in the TAF in the first three positions of the brake lever only the electric braking is inserted ( 25-50-75kN), with the 4th position the electric braking is inserted to 100kN and also the pneumatic braking begins to be inserted
- in the E464 in the first position of the brake lever the electric braking is inserted at 50% of the full value, and with the next positions the electric braking increases intensity and together also the pneumatic brake is inserted more and more.
- all locos themselves that have electric braking have a device that manages the braking of their motorized axles; if at a certain moment on such axles the electric braking is active, on such axles at the same moment the pneumatic braking is disabled
- the electric braking is enabled from max speed down to 35 km/h; if at the same time also the pneumatic is active, that lower threshold is reduced down to 5-10km/h.

I hope this can provide some idea. With some table and some threshold a good parametrization is possible.

I add another point: the same person let me notice that
"BrakeCutsPowerAtBrakeCylinderPressure( 30 )"
is not implemented in OR. I think it would not be a big job to add this to the braking management.

#8 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

As i know, in europe the dynamic brake blending is not depending on speed, but the target, and achievable braking force. Which means if you drive an EMU, it will use they dynamic brake as primary brake, and in normal conditions the airbrakes only applied at very low speeds to make the train completely stop, and keep it stopped. But if the line voltage drops(or other failure) so the regenerative braking is impossible, then the computer automatically applies the airbrakes to reach the target brake force.

On modern electric locomotives also the regenerative brake is the main brake, so the computer will use that even if you pull the train brake lever, and starts using the airbrake on the loco only if the maximal dynamic brake force is reached, and more braking force is needed.

So in short: dynamic brakes are used as main brakes both in modern EMU and locomotives, airbrakes applied only if the dynamic brake force is not enough. But there are locomotives around the world that have "fixed" dynamic brake/airbrake settings, where every trainbrake lever notch sets a certain percentage of dynamic and airbrake.
For this we need a working ORTSDynamicBrakeForceCurves, which is implemented, but actually works... parameters for setting limits (overall brake force, max/min speed), a working anti-slip/anti-lock wheel system is needed.

Note that these braking systems can be controlled by automatic train controlling systems too, like AFB which is controlled either by the driver, or the LZB.

#9 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:30 AM

Yes, I think disc is right: The thing with curves can be handled with ORTSDynamicBrakeForceCurves, of course with the exception currently, that train brake lever cannot be locked to move in pair with dynamic brake lever. This makes me wonder what would be the better approach: take the train brake lever position and blend the dynamic brake into it, or take the dynamic brake position and blend the train brake into it. I tend to the latter, since it is a common configuration of having a separate train brake only controller on locomotives (at least there is on MÁV's Stadler Flirt EMUs), and maybe not so common of having a separate dyn.brake controller beside the combined one.

I don't know how much the MSTS implementation is useful. Reading on forums, I understand it that MSTS-way doesn't match any real-world locomotive... If it is true, it would be a waste of time implementing that one...

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:11 AM

As I wrote, here it is the opposite, that is with the train brake lever you command both dynamic brake and train brake. The dynamic brake lever does not have effect on the train brake.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users