Elvas Tower: Why does this .cvf move the engine in opposite direction? - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does this .cvf move the engine in opposite direction? MSTS does it right Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

This .cvf is from a Norfolk Southern SD-40 engine (payware, DW), where the default view faces towards the rear of the engine in the cab. When the reverser is placed in the forward position the engine travels opposite to the default view in MSTS. In short you look out back at the consist (with your working dials and levers in plain view), but you are moving in the opposite direction in MSTS.

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0h0t______

Tr_CabViewFile (
	CabViewType ( 2 )
	CabViewFile ( SD40frnt.ace )
	CabViewWindow ( 0 0 640 480 )
	CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
	Position ( -1.24 3.58 6.11 )
	Direction ( 13 156 -1 )
	CabViewFile ( SD40cablft.ace )
	CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
	Position ( -1.25 3.867 5.39 )
	Direction ( 6 2.2 0 )
	CabViewFile ( SD40cabrgt.ace )
	CabViewWindow ( 2 0 640 480 )
	CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
	Position ( 1.23 3.929 6.11 )
	Direction ( 5.5 166.5 2 )
	EngineData ( C30-7 )

BIG SNIP

In Open Rails this no longer works correctly. When the reverser is placed in the forward position, the engine travels as if it is in REVERSE!! As of "Open Rails X2481 2014-09-13 21-19-10.zip" ("Open Rails X2480 2014-09-13 11-59-08.zip" worked properly) the correct operation stopped acting the way it would in MSTS.

If there is a reason for this change please explain why that is so. What is the "work around" solution?

As it stands right now, "weird" cabs like that of the NS SD-40s no longer work. Namely...you must face forward in the default view (dial and levers in view) to go forward.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:42 AM

Looking at the cabview file parameters I could ask: "why does this engine move the wrong direction in MSTS?"

I ask for some cooperation (some tests) from you, under MSTS:
1)change the second parameter of the first "direction" line from 156 to 180 and see if MSTS now reverses motion; if yes, with other tests find out from what intermediate value between 156 and 180 MSTS reverses motion (OR reverses motion at 90 degrees, which seems the most obvious choice);
2) if motion is not reversed changing to 180, as last chance try changing the third parameter to 0 and see if MSTS now reverses motion.

#3 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

View PostFrom 13 January 2015 - 04:42 AM:

Looking at the cabview file parameters I could ask: "why does this engine move the wrong direction in MSTS?"

1)change the second parameter of the first "direction" line from 156 to 180 and see if MSTS now reverses motion; if yes, with other tests find out from what intermediate value between 156 and 180 MSTS reverses motion (OR reverses motion at 90 degrees, which seems the most obvious choice);
2) if motion is not reversed changing to 180, as last chance try changing the third parameter to 0 and see if MSTS now reverses motion.

Carlo,

For both tests 1) and 2), NO CHANGE!? With the reverser in the forward position, in MSTS, it goes forward, which OR does not do as of x2481.
Are there any other tests, you might recommend?

I have not looked at SVN yet to see what modules were changed in x2481.

Thank you.

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 13 January 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

Some musings on the issue.......................

I thought that direction in that part of the cabview file is the viewing direction the numbers being

Direction ( view_up/down view_left/right unknown) Of course I could be wrong, this being from memory........

In the example below, the first Direction statement "Direction ( 0 1.9 0 )" the left/right parameter is +1.9 (view direction 1.9 degrees right), I did this as it shifted the whole world slightly to the left thus enabling the driver to see the signals out of the small front window, If the view is straight forward the boiler blocks the view of the signals.

Tr_CabViewFile (
 CabViewType ( 3 )
 CabViewFile ( "H220_front_5x8_1.44.ace" )
 CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
 Position ( -1.45 3.5 -6 )
 Direction ( 0 1.9 0 )
 CabViewFile ( "h220_left1024.ace" )
 CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
 Position ( -1.65 3.5 -7 )
 Direction ( 5 -90 0 )
 CabViewFile ( "h220_right1024.ace" )
 CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
 Position ( 1.65 3.5 -7 )
 Direction ( 5 90 0 )
 EngineData ( h220 )

I have a similiar problem also in one of my machines hitting the forward key in MSTS and OR produces opposite behavior.

I have done some work on this and I must say I cannot get any sense out of the animation line in the DIRECTION TRI_STATE parameter, the "numFrames" not behaving as I think it should. I must look at another machine that has a working direction switch in the cabview.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm needs more work on how cabview animations are controled...........

Lindsay

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

I think there is a clarification needed here. Eldorado, what do you mean when you say "the reverser is placed in the forward position"?
1) Hitting the "W" key, or
2) aligning the cabview lever "picture" to be in forward position, even if it means you have to hit "S" key?

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

I tried using Eldorado's parameters in a rear-looking cab. I have the same behavior in MSTS and OR; in both cases the cab is recognized as a rear cab, and "Forward" is the direction the train driver's are looking at (to be precise the driver is looking a bit at the left of the tracks).

#7 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words....but pictures fail me, so....

The locomotive is the front of the train.

The cabview is facing towards the rear of the train. The cabview is NOT facing towards the front of the train.

The "W" key is pressed and the HUD tells you that you have left the "N" position to the "F" position.

With the .cvf as described in the O/P, when the throttle is moved to increase RPM by pressing the "D" key the movement is towards the rear of the train. It is going backwards, not forwards as expected.

I was thinking today that if the .con file indicates what the starting orientation is for an engine, should OR not use that value to determine what direction the engine will move with the "W" and "S" keys as opposed to the the direction indicated in the .cvf file?

I would have to see what MSTS does tonight.
Edit added: [In fact in MSTS when the Flip () is found in the consist file, the locomotive goes in the direction opposite to what you selected with the "W" and "S" keys. So "W" goes in reverse....and "S" goes in the forward direction.]

I hope I have made the problem a little clearer. All versions of OR after X2480 do not work the way it does in MSTS. In my tests last night, even absurd numbers for the Direction (X Y Z) in MSTS still move the locomotive forward. MSTS does not seem to care about the value in the .cvf file to determine which direction to move.

Thank you kind sirs.

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Perhaps the engine is 'flipped'?

vince

#9 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR, MSTS, Railworks

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

This locomotive sounds to be one of the Norfolk Southern "Long Hood Forward" SD40's. Meaning, that the locomotive is supposed to operated looking down the long hood. If you view the locomotive in an external view at the long hood on the frame by the steps you should see a letter F denoting the Front of the locomotive. So, the locomotive in your activity is facing the wrong direction just flip it and it will be fine.

#10 User is offline   Jeffrey Kraus-Yao 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Erased.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: NS1611.jpg

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic