Elvas Tower: Why does this .cvf move the engine in opposite direction? - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does this .cvf move the engine in opposite direction? MSTS does it right Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 17 January 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

Thanks for info.
I don't know if this is an international standard, and wonder if it is true also for symmetrical locos as e.g. the HHP8.

In the meantime I have found a very low cost solution to the problem of the NS3193. Within the CABVIEW folder of the NS3193 just do a plain copy of the cabview of the loco (SD40.cvf) and rename it SD40_rv.cvf. That's all. SD40.cvf should now work as desired. There is only an issue about side of inclination in superelevation, and I foresee to provide a patch for that, but no hurry. In the meantime you should have your loco working as desired.

Carlo,

Thanks for looking into this solution. The payware in question caught me by surprise. The more I thought about this the more I should have thought of the "_rv.cvf" option. This is the correct solution and since it is a MSTS .BIN feature it might happen to somebody else because I do not think it is described as being supported in the current Open Rails manual. This payware was created in 2006 and perhaps the author did not think to revisit his work to upgrade to MSTS .BIN "standards" and include the "_rv.cvf" option.

Most models with freight animations look rather bad from the cabview when superevelevation is enabled. I do hope there is a solution for the static 2D cabview to keep the overall "roll view" (roll as in aircraft roll) intact/synchronized with the freight animation in the future for Open Rails. In other words the cabview rolls right or left by a small amount and the freight animation also rolls by exactly the same amount. Right now the freight animation rolls much more than the cabview roll (slant) and as a result (since many models are not double sided in terms of polygons) you see an empty space in place of where the outside of the locomotive was.

The previous paragraph might be remedied with 3D cab views that include the outside of the locomotive (as in Trainz), but those 3D cabs are few and far between right now. You would still have the problem described in the previous program the moment the user went to the 2D cabview.

Thank you for pointing out how to solve this, I shall make a note of it for the future.

#32 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

View Poststeved, on 17 January 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

This is just an observation. The picture in post #10 shows a locomotive with a big white F next to steps. This is so that anyone looking at the engine will know which hand signals will move the engine in which direction. Forward is always toward the F.Every locomotive has a big F on one end ( doesn't matter which end ) that designates the front of the unit. The controls have to function with with the F end as the front regardless of control stand location or direction of operation.

I am not sure that this applies to N&W's dual control stands. I have seen a few pictures where the SHF is the front of the locomotive, EVEN though that "F" is on the long hood. In fact the train is moving forward with the "F"......"on the wrong end".

#33 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

In reality the solution I propose is a solution that "cheats" OR. But it works.

#34 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

Look just in front of the door on this picture.
There is a big black F right next to the Maryland flag.
I believe this is a HHP8.

Steve

#35 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 17 January 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

In reality the solution I propose is a solution that "cheats" OR. But it works.

Oh oh....I am testing the .cvf and _rv.cvf and I found a problem....sorry.

1) When the initial direction of the cabview faces towards the rear and both .cvf and _rv.cvf exist, the CTRL-E option is "not available".

2) With the same conditions as in 1), the motion will always be towards the front, unlike the condition where only the .cvf file exists and the motion is towards the rear. To be pedantic, the "W" key goes forward, and "S" key goes backward with the presence of the _rv.cvf file. But you can never have the opposite of this. It is as if the .cvf file is "ignored".

3) If the initial condition is to have the cabview face forward, and .cvf and _rv.cvf exist, then CTRL_E works such that the "W" and "S" key effects can be flipped and the motion is as expected.

Is this what we want?

#36 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

It is what we want. For this particular type of loco just one cab is available like in msts, and that one is working like in msts. The second one is unreachable and has the aim of cheating orts.

#37 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 17 January 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:

It is what we want. For this particular type of loco just one cab is available like in msts, and that one is working like in msts. The second one is unreachable and has the aim of cheating orts.

Carlo,

Ora capisco il meccanismo. Grazie e molto obbligato.

Steve

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users