Elvas Tower: Why does this .cvf move the engine in opposite direction? - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does this .cvf move the engine in opposite direction? MSTS does it right Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostJohnS, on 14 January 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

This locomotive sounds to be one of the Norfolk Southern "Long Hood Forward" SD40's. Meaning, that the locomotive is supposed to operated looking down the long hood. If you view the locomotive in an external view at the long hood on the frame by the steps you should see a letter F denoting the Front of the locomotive. So, the locomotive in your activity is facing the wrong direction just flip it and it will be fine.

Well look at this: http://www.dieselswe...om/NS_SD40s.htm

The author intended that the user should be able to use the direction of the locomotive.....UNFLIPPED....such that it was either long hood forward, or short hood forward. As I understand it, N&W (not N&S), which originally ordered the SD40s had requested dual control stands. Inspection of the model does not show those dual control stands...most likely to save polys.

More on dual control stands here: http://en.wikipedia....l_control_stand

Often you can see a lead loco with the N&S brand with the "F" on the long hood part of the loco, but its actual operation is with the short hood forward....going....forward of course.

#12 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

View Postvince, on 14 January 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

Perhaps the engine is 'flipped'?

vince

Read reply to "JohnS". No it is not flipped.

#13 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostJeffrey%20Kraus%26%23045%3BYao, on 14 January 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Good call!

Almost....but not true. The Flip () parameter is NOT in the .con file. Thanks for the pic of the LHF, but from that same collection from DW you will notice that in Shapeviewer the short hood is forward for engine #3193. It is with the short hood forward that the engine should move forward...check out the operation in MSTS, which from your posts, you still use. Now use the same engine #3193 and place the Flip () parameter in the .con file and see what happens.

Thanks!

#14 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 14 January 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

The cabview is facing towards the rear of the train. The cabview is NOT facing towards the front of the train.

With the .cvf as described in the O/P, when the throttle is moved to increase RPM by pressing the "D" key the movement is towards the rear of the train. It is going backwards, not forwards as expected.

This seems consistent to me. I would expect the locomotive to start moving towards the end of train, since the cabview is facing also towards the end of train. Reverse cabviews are handled slightly differently compared to MSTS, to match most of the world locomotives, as far as I know.

#15 User is offline   Jeffrey Kraus-Yao 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

Erased.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: NS3193 outside.jpg
  • Attached Image: NS3193 normal.jpg
  • Attached Image: NS3193 flip.jpg

#16 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:08 AM

another thing to realise is that the cabview for that set of engines only has one forward ace file which shows LHF, when in the sim no matter which way the engine is facing, be it the shapes default LHF or the flipped short hood the only view will be the ace files drawn view IE: LHF, in order to see the actual end of the engine you have to do what BLW does with their engines which is to have an FA which also has the long and short hood included as the cabview can see the FA but not the actal engine, so on BLW engines depending which way you are facing you see the correct view, on most including the one in this thread you only see the picture provided by the forward ace file provided, yes it has 2 variants but both are still LHF views.

I did the cabview on the SOU SD45 set done by the late Paul Fowler and in that view we provided a LHF and a SHF cabview so when flipped in BIN you could indeed see out and get a short hood view,(done by editing the SD45_rv.cvf to use an alternative ace to the main .cvf) but, we never could work out how to get working controls in the alt view and so left it just as a short hood out of the window because msts still operated the controld via the keyboard.

#17 User is offline   Jeffrey Kraus-Yao 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

Erased.

#18 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:23 AM

my comments were more directed towards the fact that in both the 2nd and 3rd pics the engine is showing LHF even though in one of them the view should obviously be short hood forward and in the context of this thread i was musing if the physical sight of a long hood in the cabview in both directions was impacting on which direction people felt the controls should be operating (i just did not put it across to well), on the GM&O Southern SD45 cabviews i got involved as my friend Greg Davies was painting the engines and i suggested to Paul that i may be able to write the .cvf so that in BIN with changing ends it would have a short hood view or long hood view as per the direction, i succeeded but only could have one of the 2 cabviews animated as it seems MSTS and BIN would only accept one working view despite there being 2 .cvf,s that it picked up on. How that impacts on Open Rails though i cannot comment on.

#19 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

View Postgpz, on 14 January 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

This seems consistent to me. I would expect the locomotive to start moving towards the end of train, since the cabview is facing also towards the end of train. Reverse cabviews are handled slightly differently compared to MSTS, to match most of the world locomotives, as far as I know.

Peter,

Thanks for at least thinking about this one. For all the models I test with, perhaps this one is the only one with an "odd" setup. I am thinking that there might be a few ways to get it to work, but it means having to force a front of train cabview to get the "W" and "S" keys to work as expected. This of course is not prototypical for this kind of engine. I wonder why using the Flip () parameter in the .con file was not used as an indication as to what direction the locomotive should move, regardless of where the cabview is pointing to in Open Rails?

Thank you for your time,
Steve

#20 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

View PostJeffrey%20Kraus%26%23045%3BYao, on 14 January 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

The first picture shows the locomotive NS3193 flipped and freight car from the outside for context.

The second picture is from cab view 1 of the normal locomotive.

The third picture is from cab view 1 of the flipped in the consist locomotive.

Jeffery,

In all these screen caps, the one omission, and they are the same results for me in MSTS, is which direction does the consist travel, whether Flip ()ed or not.

Thank you sir!

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users