• You cannot reply to this topic

Memory usage limit in OR? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi

On some routes at very populated areas (lot of models and textures) i noticing continuous heavy stuttering in OR, while there is more than 1 gbytes of free ram available. It seems that if i turn the camera behind, the game unloads everything that can be seen at the front so when i turn back, it loads it again, and vice versa every time while i see that loading thread starts working too. While these happens the memory usage (according to the game's debug informations) is above 1100 mbytes, but never exceeds 1200mbytes. That's why it seems to mee, there is a limit at 1200mbytes, and the game unloads thinks when the camera turned away, to fit in this limit.

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

There is no unloading when you look away in OR, that only happens when you move away. However, if the GPU doesn't have enough memory (VRAM) to hold everything then the GPU driver + OS work to move things in and out of VRAM so that what's currently visible is in VRAM. This could well affect performance when rotating the camera.

There is also not memory limit set in OR, but it will be limited by the OS and the fact that OR is a 32bit program (that is not marked 3GB-aware). What this means is that OR will never consume more than 2GB itself, usually a bit less due to fragmentation and stuff.

#3 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

that's a strange thing, as in TS2013 where there are bigger textures and higher polycount objects, that 512mbytes vram is enough.

Also the loader process is always working (for minutes, while running at 30 kph). Isn't loaded textures and models cached in ram?

this is how it happens
(note the wheelslip while the reverser in neutral, and the brakes are released)

#4 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

disc, on 08 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Hi

On some routes at very populated areas (lot of models and textures) i noticing continuous heavy stuttering in OR, while there is more than 1 gbytes of free ram available. It seems that if i turn the camera behind, the game unloads everything that can be seen at the front so when i turn back, it loads it again, and vice versa every time while i see that loading thread starts working too. While these happens the memory usage (according to the game's debug informations) is above 1100 mbytes, but never exceeds 1200mbytes. That's why it seems to mee, there is a limit at 1200mbytes, and the game unloads thinks when the camera turned away, to fit in this limit.

I don't know how much it's going to help but if you're running on a 64-bit OS you could give the 4GB Patch a try -

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

#5 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

James Ross, on 08 April 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

There is also not memory limit set in OR, but it will be limited by the OS and the fact that OR is a 32bit program (that is not marked 3GB-aware). What this means is that OR will never consume more than 2GB itself, usually a bit less due to fragmentation and stuff.

Is there any particular reason why OR hasn't been marked 3GB aware, are there any side effects to doing this?

Also does OpenRails always detect and use all available dedicated RAM on the GPU?

#6 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Any idea is the Large Address Aware (LAA) (see other forum topic) executable would be of any value?

#7 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

disc, on 08 April 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

that's a strange thing, as in TS2013 where there are bigger textures and higher polycount objects, that 512mbytes vram is enough.

Why do you think the signals and AI don't work - and they wont' fix them?

Robert

#8 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

rdamurphy, on 08 April 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Robert

How come the signals don't work?

I've been testing a route in TS2013 that Marc Nelson created by using railroad data from the actual sub division and so far he's been able to get accurate signal indications.

As far as the AI is concerned I've never seen anything created by anyone who actually really knew what the AI was supposed to do based on the real world anyway.

#9 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

nyc01, on 08 April 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Is there any particular reason why OR hasn't been marked 3GB aware, are there any side effects to doing this?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think we can do this directly from Visual Studio - at least not for the Express editions without the C++ compiler toolchain.

In general, though, there should be no side effects, but remember the configuration may not be supported by the CLR so there could always be issues. It can't hurt to try, anyway.

However, in this case, the VM is only getting up to ~1100MB so the likelihood of it making any difference here is slim.

nyc01, on 08 April 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Also does OpenRails always detect and use all available dedicated RAM on the GPU?

Although we detect the VRAM, we make no use of this in our loading patterns currently. We load everything in the "tile space" (current tile and the 8 around it) and that's it.

There is nothing in OR (or should certainly not be!) that unloads/loads things based on viewing direction. If there is, it's a bug. That does make the video a little puzzling. I believe I have seen reports that ATI cards are more aggressive at unloading "unused" VRAM and are known to often have lots of stuttering when rotating the camera in open-world style games (I've personally seen it with World of Warcraft and it's pretty bad sometimes). While that may not be everything going on here, I'd suspect it of not helping.

If you haven't already, make sure you're on the latest graphics card drivers too, just in case. :rotfl:

#10 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

rdamurphy, on 08 April 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Robert

What signal, and AI? how comes this here?

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users