• You cannot reply to this topic

Memory usage limit in OR? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postnyc01, on 20 April 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Really, I suggest you take a good look around in various forums, I'll be happy to give you links.

I've look at various forums including trainsim.com and uktrainsim and professional forums, i never heard of this, and i never saw this with my eyes... What i saw is all depend of graphics settings... same settings look same on both. However i don't read nvidia FUD forums :) Of course i ignore such "well-founded" opinions, when the player buys a new nvidia card to replacing a 5 years old ati, and telling "how better the nvidia is" because he can use higher graphics settings :pardon:
Actually it was the nvidia 9xxx series which had drivers written to cheat on 3D test applications, by lowering rendering precision, to obtain higher fps in tests.

View Postnyc01, on 20 April 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Have you run the Outerra demo? If so on what hardware because I haven't seen any major performance hit with all those trees on the three different setups I've been running Outerra on over the last two years.

I didn't see major performance hit, but it was performance hit, just like in these dx9 engines. More objects-> lower fps.

As i wrote outerra is not a good example, there are no cities in it, the only objects that are used there in big quantity, are trees, and those trees are identical, so the draw call batching can be very efficient on those. But real games have much more varied scenery.
If that engine would be so good for general usage, then it would be used in various games... but it's just a techdemo since years, without any real game built on it.

#32 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Postdisc, on 20 April 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

I've look at various forums including trainsim.com and uktrainsim and professional forums, i never heard of this, and i never saw this with my eyes... What i saw is all depend of graphics settings... same settings look same on both. However i don't read nvidia FUD forums :) Of course i ignore such "well-founded" opinions, when the player buys a new nvidia card to replacing a 5 years old ati, and telling "how better the nvidia is" because he can use higher graphics settings :pardon:
Actually it was the nvidia 9xxx series which had drivers written to cheat on 3D test applications, by lowering rendering precision, to obtain higher fps in tests.

Look a little closer, when I get a chance I'll give you some links. The last discussion about this issue with AMD was in the RailWorks forums just a week ago at Trainsim.com.

Are you telling us that you are able to get super-sampling AA and v-sync to work with OpenRails with a AMD 5000-7000 series card?

Here's a current lit of video cards I've got to test with OpenRails, Nvidia GTX 480, GTX 580, GTX 680 and a Titan. From AMD I currently have a 4870x2, 5870 and a 7970.

Can you tell us what cards you are currently testing OpenRails with and possibly TS2013 and a list of other sims/games you have experience with?

Here's a short list of sims/games I've used with the cards listed above, OpenRails, TS2013, FS2004, FSX, aeroFly FS, iRacing, Asseto Corsa (long thread about AMD image quality in their forum by the way), ProjectCARS, rFactor2 (another long thread in the ISI forums about AMD image quality), X-Plane 10, every SimBin racing sim, Dirt2, Dirt3, F12010, F12011, F12012 and GRID, Wings of Prey, Rise of Flight and PrePar3D (from Lockheed Martin).

I didn't see major performance hit, but it was performance hit, just like in these dx9 engines. More objects-> lower fps.

Depends again on how the game engine is written, more objects and eye candy calculations on a CPU dependent game engine -> lower fps.

As i wrote outerra is not a good example, there are no cities in it, the only objects that are used there in big quantity, are trees, and those trees are identical, so the draw call batching can be very efficient on those. But real games have much more varied scenery.

Lol, look at the draw distance, grass and trees as far as the eye can see in a game engine with unlimited visibility. The varied scenery is up to the game developer and the content they create for that game.

If that engine would be so good for general usage, then it would be used in various games... but it's just a techdemo since years, without any real game built on it.

How about aviation simulation for the actual military?

#33 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

View Postnyc01, on 09 April 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

For a while now I haven't been able to use super-sampling AA with OpenRails no matter how the options are set up in the Catalyst Control Center. It's like the OpenRails exe is completely ignored.

This can be due to Your Catalyst driver settings. In Gaming/3D Application Settings, You can select Catalyst to override OR settings.

I can verify that the latest Radeon Driver indeed works with OR. I use 8 x AA, and the difference is clearly seen in the catenary wires. :)

So, please check Your Catalyst Settings.

You may need a clean reinstall of the Catalyst Drivers. I was forced to remove any trace of previous video-drivers before my Catalyst started to work 100%.

ChrisD :)

#34 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostChrisD, on 21 April 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

This can be due to Your Catalyst driver settings. In Gaming/3D Application Settings, You can select Catalyst to override OR settings.

I can verify that the latest Radeon Driver indeed works with OR. I use 8 x AA, and the difference is clearly seen in the catenary wires. :)

So, please check Your Catalyst Settings.

You may need a clean reinstall of the Catalyst Drivers. I was forced to remove any trace of previous video-drivers before my Catalyst started to work 100%.

ChrisD :)

Of course it's due to the Catalyst Control Center settings, that's the issue, just getting 8xAA isn't a problem (8x MS and adaptive isn't enough).

Super-sampling AA and v-sync cannot beforced on the OpenRails exe or (and many other games that don't have in-game v-sync option). The problem has been there for a long time all the way up to the 13.3 beta 3 drivers I'm using now on fresh installs of Win7/8.

Here are links to the issue starting with the 5870 three years ago when v-sync stopped working with games without an in-game option when running on Vista/Win7 (this problem was also mentioned all over the flight sim forums at the time) -

http://www.trainsim....645-performance

http://www.trainsim....ance-comparison

Here AMD issues with performance and image quality are discussed with TS2013 -

http://www.trainsim....ressions/page10

http://www.trainsim....rias-Pass/page5

http://forums.uktrai...it=ati&start=15

http://forums.uktrai...28382&hilit=ati

http://forums.uktrai...it=ATI&start=15

You can also head over to the ISI forums where you'll also find a lot of unhappy campers who have not been able to get decent image quality or performance in another DirectX 9 sim called rFactor/rFactor2.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users