• You cannot reply to this topic

Superelevation Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostPA1930, on 19 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Can you give me an example on where to add such a parameter on the .CON file?
Does it crash with MSTS if such alteration is done?
I thought the trains would tilt "extra" if the parameter "max tilt" was increased on the .eng and .wag files.

It's not a new parameter in the .CON file -- it's a naming convention used **for** the .CON file.

As I understand it.....

If you have AMTKAcela.con, copy or rename it to AMTKAcela_tilted.con and it will enable super-tilting in ORTS.

You'll also need to update the TrainCfg parameter in the .CON file to in order to keep everything happy...

Example:
TrainCfg ( AMTKAcela  

becomes

TrainCfg ( AMTKAcela_tilted

Because the file format and parameters aren't changed, MSTS won't notice anything different.

#62 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply! Though I wonder then that the value of "max tilting" is then adjusted on the .eng and .wag files as I mentioned?

#63 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I have been reading through the dynatracks.cs file from the Trunk/Source/RunActivity/Viewer3D/ branch of the source code.

There is mention of a 'DynaTrackProfile' which I believe generates the dynamic superelevated curves from the standard ACleanTrack1 (ballast) and ACleanTrack2 (railhead and sides) textures.
Im a noob in programming, but the code leads me to conclude there is a possible .xml or .stf (or canned which means hard coded?) track profile file from a TrackProfiles folder inside your route folder.

When I create this folder and put a dummy TrProfile.xml file in it, my WP3 route shows nice blank spaces instead of the ugly default MSTS track in curves.
Also there are some file access errors in the logs, mentioning missing 'trp' instances from each tile I think, which means the code is working.

Is it possible to create a DynaTrackProfile which uses ScaleRail?

#64 User is offline   Blillpers 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

DBTracks, narrow gauge and UKFinescale profiles would be nice too!

#65 User is offline   JTang 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I believe there are such profiles exist, just need to find them somewhere.

#66 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostJTang, on 20 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I believe there are such profiles exist, just need to find them somewhere.

That would be nice for experimentation.

There is commented-out line of code that reads:

// FOR DEBUGGING: Writes XML file from current TRP //TRP.TrackProfile.SaveAsXML(@"C:/Users/Walt/Desktop/TrProfile.xml");

Which I believe can be used to create a sample track profile.
The dynamic shape file of both the track and rail cross section needs to be found and adapted to ScaleRail size and model hierarchy.
The ScaleRail is constructed of 5 pieces, while the MSTS default track is constructed of 3 pieces in the Model Hierarchy of Shape Viewer.

Or course one then needs to find the proper ScaleRail textures and the handles to the different parts inside the .ace files that make up ballast, ties, tie plates, rail heads and sides.

#67 User is offline   ytracks 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

I believe this to be a good idea. Old Routes are not designed to have superelevation. So I think you should not spent too much effort to convert old routes to the new style.
regarding new routes there are some possibilities:

-you can do superelevation depending on the length of the transition curve. At prototype the longer the transition curve the higher the superelevation. So without transition curve the track will stay horizontal. (BTW this will eliminate the problem with switches).
-you can invent an additional superelevation parameter inside the worldfile for trackobjects, comparable to the collide flags. In this way it is on the route developer to manage SE and you can assign SE even to straight tracks whereever needed. And you can finetune the amount of elevation. At prototype the amount of superelevation is not necessaryly the highest at sharpest curves.

keep on the good work

Ytracks

#68 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is the "Default Dynatrack profile" I managed to create from reading the source code.

Pull the .stf file out of the archive and put it file in a new folder named TrackProfiles under your route folder.
Like in the picture below:
Attached Image: Folder_location.jpg

The .stf file will be parsed without errors by the RunActivity.exe. It passes by with a TRP(.stf) entry in the log.

Feel free to experiment, putting different shapes, sizes and positions in the values. Have the source code at hand to get an idea of what goes where.
This .stf uses the default A1CleanTrack textures and is only valid for 1435mm standard gauge.
There is only one LOD, but the "canned response" in the source code also has a 1200 meters LOD and a dynamically rendered value LOD.

I think that for ScaleRail to work one needs 2 more LODItems but since I don't know how to disassemble .ace files, I don't know what they are called and how the textures are oriented. Also the LOD's are different.

DB Tracks is more complicated still, with yet other LOD's and still more LODItems.

I also think there is only one profile at a time per route possible, so one is currently unable to differentiate between mainline and spurs for superelevation.
Perhaps in a future release more definitions could be possible and an extra variable added to the TrackObj definitions in the .w files will choose the appropriate definition, or the textures needed could be read dynamically from the track piece the train currently travels over.

Attached File(s)

#69 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

Thank you for this valuable info. Using it and your .stf template file I was able to create a (rought by the moment) profile for the NG Bernina route.
Attached Image: Bernina_profile.jpg

#70 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

If your route uses the MSTS default track you are safe.

Here is my more definite ScaleRail Track Profile for use with the Western Pacific Feather River route.
I have changed the 'Chordlength' to 1 meter so the straight 'chords' that make up a curve are less conspiguous.
I have changed all dimensions of the rails 'vertices' to match the ScaleRail contours.
I have changed the MSTS ballast texture, added ties and tieplates so it looks very close to wooden ties ScaleRail this route uses.

Since there is only one type of superelevated track generated dynamically, the special curved bridge, tunnel and concrete types will be replaced by this definition from the .stf.

Also there is still some Moiré patterning, small gaps between track here and there, and the shadows seem to play a particular game on the rail sides.
All of this superelevation is of course still experimental, tested on X 1502.

Attached File(s)

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users