• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm Such A Sucker... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

For TOC (i.e. Turn Of the [19th] Century) railroading. Here's a series of a train making its way up to Fly Gap in the Ozarks in the 1890's...

Attached Image: falls1.jpg

Attached Image: helper1.jpg

Attached Image: helper2.jpg

#2 User is offline   EdavilleFan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Fan: Narrow Gauge Nuts
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Nice shots!, Andre.

teasin' not nice :sweatingbullets:

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Post icon  Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

Very nice scenicking treatment of the creek and falls.

Cheers Bazza :sweatingbullets:

#4 User is offline   august1929 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

Top notch Andre - you have always been good at creating atmosphere, and that first shot really does it for me.

A day out in the mountains, and there, in the near distance is another life passing slowly by. You can hear it, but not too distinctly above the sound of the 'falls, and you can see the steam & smoke (but you can't smell it - you can see the wind is in the wrong direction :sweatingbullets: ). Teasing is the word...

Rod

#5 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

Wow, those first two pix just about knocked my socks off! The third ain't too shabby either, Andre. Looking forward to seeing more from the Ozarks.

#6 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Like I said, I'm such a sucker for it.

My sure'nuf favorite TOC is TOCng (narrow gauge) Colorado style, but standard gauge is cool too.

Even though I take a financial beating on the commercial side on account of my love for TOC/TOCng, can't help it: Love to model it.

Shoot, IF I could ever learn to do it, I would LOVE to learn to make my own steam engines and rollingstock. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem practical at this point in my life to have time to do all of it, so I end up building a route when I can.

I think one of the things I like about TOC/ng is that everything was booming and optimism was in the air. EVERYWHERE railroads were being built. Plus, things were smaller then: Smaller towns, smaller trains, smaller physical plant, shorter trains... all of which lends itself better to the quirks of this sim. (i.e. poly counts, object counts, texture sizes, etc.) I always marvel when I read of a V scaler that will load up 6 high-poly/big texture diesel units, 100 high-poly/big texture cars on a high-poly/high count route... and then wonder why his computer chokes!

Anyrate, as the saying goes: "There's a sucker born every minute." Guess I are one! :sweatingbullets:

#7 Inactive_NW_611_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:14 AM

I haven't exactly followed the Ozark Northern's progress closely, so please forgive the question: Is it going to be a narrow gauge line? If so, are there any of the VSC steam era routes that're standard gauge?

#8 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:18 AM

View PostCoonskin, on Jul 29 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Like I said, I'm such a sucker for it.

My sure'nuf favorite TOC is TOCng (narrow gauge) Colorado style, but standard gauge is cool too.

Even though I take a financial beating on the commercial side on account of my love for TOC/TOCng, can't help it: Love to model it.

Shoot, IF I could ever learn to do it, I would LOVE to learn to make my own steam engines and rollingstock. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem practical at this point in my life to have time to do all of it, so I end up building a route when I can.

I think one of the things I like about TOC/ng is that everything was booming and optimism was in the air. EVERYWHERE railroads were being built. Plus, things were smaller then: Smaller towns, smaller trains, smaller physical plant, shorter trains... all of which lends itself better to the quirks of this sim. (i.e. poly counts, object counts, texture sizes, etc.) I always marvel when I read of a V scaler that will load up 6 high-poly/big texture diesel units, 100 high-poly/big texture cars on a high-poly/high count route... and then wonder why his computer chokes!

Anyrate, as the saying goes: "There's a sucker born every minute." Guess I are one! :sweatingbullets:

I was fortunate enough to be able to see and remember the end of the steam era. My maternal grandfather worked as a carpenter for the SP at the turn of the century and was a joy to listen to his stories of his travels and memories of the rails associated with the many stero viewer pictures that he had from that erea from all over northern California and east into Oklahoma. (I have no idea of what happened to all those pictures). :scare2:

In my opinion the standard gauge equipment of that era had as much charm and character as the many narrow guage lines.

I feel that you are doing the MSTS community a huge service by creating for that era. I am planning on trying some type of late 1800 rolling stock, probably a flatcar, for my next project.

Bill

#9 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

Bill:

A hearbreaker that the stereo photos have been misplaced.

You also said:

"I feel that you are doing the MSTS community a huge service by creating for that era."

I never looked at my love of TOC/ng that way. However, thanks for that perspective. I always kind of looked at it like "dummy me... if I need more sales, I should be creating a diesel route." However, just can't seem to get away from TOC and TOCng.

NW_611 said:

"I haven't exactly followed the Ozark Northern's progress closely, so please forgive the question: Is it going to be a narrow gauge line? If so, are there any of the VSC steam era routes that're standard gauge?"

The Ozark Northern (pictured above) is standard gauge and uses the default track system. I also offer the St. Louis & North Arkansas route which is standard gauge and based on the prototype by the same name. Lastly, VSC offers a diesel powered route that uses Arkansas & Missouri Alco's created by Gaetan Belanger.

IF I had unlimited time, I would love to do a Colorado narrow gauge line.

#10 Inactive_NW_611_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the fact that you're doing ancient railroading work. It's rather hard to shoehorn the W&A's General into a modern route, especially when you haven't the foggiest of what to do with it, or any significant rolling stock that's appropriate for a locomotive of 1860s vintage.

It doesn't help, of course, that my knowledge of railroading only starts somewhere around the mid-1940s, so eh, yeah. I need to talk you into working on the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina sometime. :sweatingbullets:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users