• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

L&PS module in Calif Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   62stratfan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

Gee, Tim, thanks for the tip! It's been a while since I've been able to run MSTS and I've forgotten a bit. The press building is actually a tad too large for the area and I'd much rather use the original track plan, so I'll try to restore it asap. It's those beautiful Tim Muir gons that I want to see rolling down there.

Here's some more screens from last weekend's work.

Attached Image: LPSMsocal9.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal13.jpg

This pic shows a bit of the dry wash I tried to build using the terrain height tool. I'm using a Mac Pro now to run Windows XP since my PC died and have found that zooming in the terrain height tool crashes the RE regularly. So work fast and save often!

Attached Image: LPSMsocal17.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal18.jpg

From the deck of the L&PS freight house!

Attached Image: LPSMsocal21.jpg

Best
62stratfan

#12 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

Man, these are great shots, Steve.

You should be able to get those gons on the original curve there after removing those comments. It's one of those details I always forget myself :D

How do you like running XP on Mac? I've often wondered about it since I first heard about it a couple of years ago.

#13 User is offline   PNWTransitFreak 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:TS2013

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Beautiful! I can't believe that the L&PS!

#14 User is offline   62stratfan 

• Conductor

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thank you guys, your comments are much appreciated. I've still have a loooong way to go, but it's fun, not overwhelming.

Yes, it's the L&PS but only the Bathurst St module that Wayne gave us before the full L&PS. And, of course I can't match Tim's quality, but so far it's pretty darn decent as a P-E switching route till we get the real thing some day.

Tim, I'm very satisfied with the Mac-Windows arrangement. I use the Mac utility "Boot Camp" to run the Windows OS. You have to re-boot to go from one to the other. There are applications that allow you to run both OS's silmutaneously, but I understand that there's a performance hit to do so. I use the Mac primarily to access the internet and for the Garageband music tool, but it's basically a Windows machine. I'm safer on line with the Mac OS (I hope), and I don't have to get a Vista machine with all the issues there.

Basic Specs..
Dual Quad Core @ 2.8gz
4 gig ram
nvidia 8800GT graphics card

I run MSTS, Kuju Rail Sim (I love British steam), Call of Duty, and MOH Airborne all at max settings...so far, so good!

I've just restored the siding at John Mann and will resume testing asap. Please stay tuned Tim, in case (more likely when) I need more rescuing!

Best
62stratfan

This post has been edited by 62stratfan: 22 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

#15 User is offline   62stratfan 

• Conductor

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

Hello, All

Here's another batch of screens showing some progress on the L&PS module>faux P-E. I'm using the furniture company as an engine house. The crew is lucky enough to have Tim Muir's 44 ton P-E motor, 1590. In the background are the critter and P-E 1594. The 1594 is the BW 44 ton motor available here wearing the textures of the 1590. They seem to fit right on. Tim provided the source texture files so I could easily re-number 1590 to 1594.

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27i.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27j.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27L.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27P.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27w.jpg

I'm building up the south end a bit and re-painting the tertex. The collection of Tim's structures fills in the area at Bathurst and Colborne (Shell, Autoglass, GoodEats). More later.

62stratfan

#16 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

B) ;) ;) I'm liking every bit of it! Of course, I'm biased. ;)

#17 User is offline   62stratfan 

• Conductor

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

A few more....

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27k.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27E.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27m.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27SU.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27Q.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27x.jpg

62stratfan

#18 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

What a nice project - you have a good eye for this! Now I am double convinced that these small super detailed modules are the way to go. Doing a small module like this - only 200 meter by 1000 meters - has a lot of advantages:

- you have a chance to focus on detail,
- you can keep the frame rates high,
- switching activities move along pretty quickly
- for the modeler, you avoid a lot of duplication - one block of houses is enough - modeling 50 blocks gets a little tiring
- this module has a mainline class 1 passing through the scene so you still get a chance to see some of your favorite big power running through

Keep the pics coming - and let me know if you need any mods done on the scenery models. I am happy to customize if you need something done.

And, in so far as my modeling goes, you are welcome to redistribute the route with your changes if you want to share your work.

Wayne

#19 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

And, in so far as my modeling goes, you are welcome to redistribute the route with your changes if you want to share your work. -Wayne

Oh, man, that would be great! And I'd echo that with any of my models in the route not yet released, Steve.

#20 User is offline   62stratfan 

• Conductor

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Why thank you, Wayne. That's quite a compliment coming from such a prolific builder such as yourself. It's very much appreciated! I agree with everything you've said with respect to the modular approach, especially if one enjoys switching or local freight and passenger movements. Even with the full L&PS, I'm alway hovering around London and the rolling mills shuffling cars back and forth. With the module, 30-60 minute activities are very do-able. You feel like you've accomplished your mission for the day!

Many thanks for permission to upload. I didn't plan on it, but the little route is going pretty well, maybe some others would like to try it. I've yet to upload a route, hope I can ask you and Tim for help when neccessary. Most of the add ons are Michael Sinclair, Tim Muir and Paul Charland.

So far, the modelling is moving along, but please stay tuned just in case! Here's a couple more screens taken last weekend....

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27C.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27G.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27n.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27R.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27SUV.jpg

Attached Image: LPSMsocal27ST.jpg

Best Regards,
62stratfan

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic