• You cannot reply to this topic

Overloaded World Tiles an alternative approach... Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 February 2010 - 12:04 PM, said:

Make sense now?

Yep - I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, but given time, I usually come around. What threw me was the mention of CAD, but your recent post pointed out a few things missed in the first.

I did a similar thing when placing some city modules on the Sherman Hill route - each on big fat object to save space in the world file, and noting the x-y-z coordinates to get everything to snuggle up where I needed them. Place one object, and then transfer the x-y-z data into Max. Time consuming, but far better than having to do things over when the RE blows up a world tile - something I've run into from time to time before. Your forest procedure I hadn't thought of, which would have saved some headaces when trying to solve the terrain vanishing at distance below a "normal" forest object. All moot I suppose, as I'm fully entrenched into Railworks. Nevertheless, your idea helps to keep me thinking outside the box when editing.

#22 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

View Postaugust1929, on 20 June 2008 - 06:43 AM, said:

In the thread "Microsoft Terrain Simulator" in screenshots, I was bemoaning that, even using Swissie's approach to getting beyond the 500-550 kb size limit for the World Tiles, I was getting 3 out of 4 save attempts still wiping out all objects. (not a problem as long as you remember to backup after each successful save - just slow).

I have read this post a couple of times and I am curious if "500-550 kb size limit for the World Tiles" means before or after the file has been compressed? This makes a big difference of course!

I have tried to limit objects to not more than 2500 objects (and usually lower) due to random crashes when pressing function keys. As Lukas has discussed elsewhere, the problem is due to adjacent overloaded World Tiles. In my case, I have had to edit World Tiles with 3200+ objects when adjacent tiles were also in the 2000 objects range (eg: Stowe, Vermont). Once I decrease the number of objects the crashes go with it. I am sure this is "old news" to the "old hands" with MSTS. In my research, there seems to be a bunch of "magic numbers" posted on the internet over various years for object counts on World Tiles and I have settled with as near to 2000 as possible.

#23 User is offline   c36dash7 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 31 May 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

In my research, there seems to be a bunch of "magic numbers" posted on the internet over various years for object counts on World Tiles and I have settled with as near to 2000 as possible.

Feedback : As mentioned as part of this very informative thread, was the presence of MSTS BIN . Using MSTS BIN , instantly allowed the number of world objects per tile , to increase ( from the non- MSTS BIN / Kuju defaults ).

I, too, had read such as "1,350" world objects , and / or , such as 800 Kb for World file size, as being "thresholds" . Experience from many , now shows that both thresholds have been exceeded .

But the fact remains that we often get distracted by the fact that , in Route Ediotr, our "primary" type of view, is along the lines of being in a "construction crane" .

From that point of view, yes, it is very tempting to "fill in" all the space on a Tile, so that it eventually looks somewhow "full" .

Experience in the InGame mode, shows a noticeably diffrent "point-of-view" .

And I must not be the only one creating very interesting and detailed "scenes" , only to realize that , in the InGame mode, at times, up to 85 % or more or that scene (you just created ) , is not even truly "visible" ( from InCab view # 1 ), and / or, the entire scene ( that you spent a day or two to build) , will basically "flash by", in ... one or two seconds .

Therefore, as far as being rational and practical, one should review their Route Editor work, very-very frequently, in the In Game mode... , before attempting to set new world records, for largest number of objects per tile ...

Important to remind ourselves that end users ( besides ourselves ), run trains in the InGame mode, and not in Route Editor ...'-)

Jean Brisson Route Building from 40 to 60 hours @ week

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users