What frame rates are you getting with openrails? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:12 AM

They are blocky.
See wires shadows in EX-Rail's weather thread.

#32 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:05 AM

Ok, I should have guessed with the 4080 that this is a new system and most likely has Windows 11. What version of Windows 11 are you using (Home or Pro)?

What I’ve been giving has been done on Windows 10. Windows 11 has its own set of problems. For example, when DirectX 12 is installed, you don’t get all the files you get on DirectX 12 for Windows 10. A lot of the older files for DirectX are not installed on Windows 11, which is one of the reasons that Microsoft Train Simulator will not run on Windows 11 without some work but will run on Windows 10. There may be some other problems as well.

I have a Windows 11 (PRO) laptop, and I installed Open Rails on it last night. I noted that it was giving an FPS of 20. I’ve not had time to try anything yet to improve the fps, which may take a while. If someone out there with Open Rails on Windows 11 is getting good fps, please join the conversation and let us know what was done.

Phil

#33 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 29 April 2024 - 12:31 PM

Hello Jack,

Sorry about that, wrong post in wrong location, so I deleted it. It was mainly about trying to get MSTS to work on Windows 11.

I did get a good framerate on the Windows 11 system. The problem was that Windows was not using the Nivida card for Open Rails. The Windows 10 system has only one graphic card whereas the Windows 11 has two, the Nivida card and an Intel graphics card on the motherboard. Windows does not do a good job of determining what graphic card to use sometimes. So, first thing in the morning I went in and under System, Display, Graphics, Custom options for apps, select RunActivity.exe in the Open Rails directory and set it to High performance, I got the fps of 230s. Here is the Windows 11 system:

Processor = 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-13900HX (32 threads, 24 cores, 2.2 GHz) (L1 Cache 384 KB) (L1 Cache 256 KB) (L2 Cache 16384 KB) (L3 Cache 36864 KB) (L1 Cache 512 KB) (L1 Cache 1024 KB) (L2 Cache 16384 KB) (L3 Cache 36864 KB)
Memory = 63.7 GB
Video = Intel® UHD Graphics (1.0 GB RAM) (igdkmdn64 31.0.101.4502)
Video = NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU (16.0 GB RAM) (nvlddmkm 31.0.15.5212)
Display = \\.\DISPLAY1 (2560 x 1600, 32-bit, primary, 0 x 0)
Sound = Realtek High Definition Audio (rtkvhd64 6.0.9459.1)
Disk = C: (Local Fixed Disk, NTFS, 1862.2 GB, 1604.3 GB free)
Disk = D: (Local Fixed Disk, NTFS, 1863.0 GB, 1285.7 GB free)
OS = Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0.22631)

If this is getting a good framerate, then yours should as well. There has to be something about your system that is causing the problem. From your specifications I would say you have a very good gaming system. Most likely it is a setting in Windows, or something is taking up the resources or it could be a bad driver that is causing the problem.

Here are a few things I would recommend checking. Look at your monitor guide and see if the DisplayPort supports anything above 60Hz. If you are using an SSD disk, make sure you have a quarter of the disk space free. SSDs have to have that much free space in order for them to perform ok, otherwise they slow down, causing the system to slow down. Check to see if your system was installed with bloatware.

PC World on removing bloatware

Make sure that Open Rails is using the correct GPU engine. bring up Task Manager, right click in the name area and select both GPU and GPU engine from the pull down. Now start Open Rails in a route, when the route is loaded, press the Windows key on the keyboard and select Task Manager. Look at Open Rails in Task Manager and note what it has as the GPU engine. It should be something like GPU 0 – 3D.

Check your Nvidia driver and make sure it is the latest (needs to be from Nvidia not Microsoft).

Phil

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users