What frame rates are you getting with openrails? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, Gerry: I see now...
However, I personally took part on experiment, where a lamp flashed with defined frequency and it was needed to decide and report, when flashes did visually merge into continious lit. That frequency was called "critical frequency of flashes merging". Alas, that time, all this wasn't interesting to me, so, I didn't focus my attention on details and didn't remember much. But I can googl KChSM now and tell ET, what was told.

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:53 AM

Buried somewhere deep in the f5 display is a displayed line for how many primitives are in view. IIRC right below that is something about shadows. AFAIK primitives are equal to draw calls -- the hardware interrupt to pass data from the CPU to the GPU. It is my opinion this is usually the driver of fps that you cannot control. You can turn off logging, shadow all objects, etc. etc. but in the end you are left with what is being shown to you on the screen and this primitive number is apparently the number of draw calls per frame. Display more terrain? The draw calls go up, the fps go down. Ditto anything else you can see. Turn on logging? No effect on draw calls but it does tax the CPU so fps go down.

If lots of us had the same route and the same rolling stock we could all fire it up, hit the agreed upon camera number, and record the primitives. That number should be the same for everyone (same route, same equipment, same camera view)... but the fps will vary because very few of us will have identical hardware. That alone might be interesting but it won't tell the reader what his PC should do.

What might be useful (I'm speculating here) is to fully qualify everything when reporting your FPS. CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM, Route (maybe even TileId and camera direction), primitives, FPS.

At least then somebody could compare fps and primitives on their PC to the others and conclude I'm getting lousy fps at similar primitive count because my CPU (or GPU) is old. etc. etc. But that all seems like a lot of work, useful only if lots of people do it.

#13 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:All

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:28 PM

CPU and GPU don't seem to be maxed, but it's a multi core CPU, so a few threads might be.

Shadow primatives are 14403,
Render primatives are 10085, there are other numbers after that.
I'd paste a screenshot but it won't let me here.

GPU: 4080 16GB
CPU: i7-13700k @5ghz
Ram: 32Gb

I tried Alt-enter which should lower the pixel count significantly, but it'sa bout the same FPS.

#14 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:03 PM

Alrighty everyone, I think I can sum this up with a new request:

What Video settings are people using?

I had everything maxed out, shadows, distant mountains, and a 10km draw distance.
Once I turned all that off and dropped to 2500m FPS shot up to 220.

Since I only need 60FPS, I've got some room to play with.
I'm thinking 5km draw, distant mountains, and max object view distance to horizon|
And I might just go without shadows, I really like the longer view distances.

Curious what settings others are using.

#15 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:17 PM

For my system I'm usually getting an average of 30+ FPS in "windowed" mode and an average of 24 FPS in "fullscreen" mode. And that's using an Intel Core i3-8100 processor and an NVidia GEForce GT 710 with 32 Gigs of RAM. Been thinking of upgrading lately, but I don't have the money for it yet.

#16 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:29 PM

Framerate in OR is not a great problem unless your cpu/gpu are very old.
I have a 30hz monitor, a very early 4k version, I have sync set for 30hz and have no problems.

This in not a first person shooter.

#17 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:20 AM

Jack, I noted that the frame rate in OR was around 60 frames per second for about any route for several years. This was with Nvidia cards 1080, 2080, and now 3080. I expected a much higher frame rate, especially when OR came out with Monogame with 1.5.1 (Stable). Since the move, I thought the developers had been trying to get to 64 bits, which had not yet been optimized for graphics. Then, about a month ago, I noticed that the frame rate in OR went up to 250 frames per second. I had not changed any graphic settings in OR (vertical sync was on, dynamic shadows and shadow all shapes were on, and I don’t use the Automatically tune settings to keep performance level, so it was off). I thought the limitation was at OR with Monogames. Well, I am happy to say I was wrong, so what happened? I believe it may be one of two things (or both) that happened recently. First, as usual, I’ve been keeping my Nvidia drivers up to date, and there was one near the beginning of last month (and two since). This may have fixed the frame rate problem. Second, Microsoft has made an enhancement to DirectX 12 that allows better use of the GPU instead of sending some of the tasks to the CPU. I’m not sure which one fixed it. I should add that this was with Windows 10 build 19045 and OR using the correct GPU engine (for me, that would be GPU0 – 3D) for both frame rates. Be sure you are using the Nvidia driver (the latest), do a clean install in the driver setup, and do not use Microsoft’s Nvidia driver.

You can set the GPU engine for a program with the following steps:

Open Settings: Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.

Navigate to System: Select the “System” option on the sidebar.

Display Settings: Click on the “Display” option, scroll down till you see Graphic Settings, and select.

Graphics Settings: Scroll down till you see “Graphics performance preference”.
Choose the App: Select “Desktop app” from dropdown menu.

Add the App: Click the “Browse” button go to the directory where you have Open Rails installed and select the .exe file of the app you want to use with the GPU. You could do this to all of the .exe files, but the one you especially want to get is RunActivity.exe.

Set Preferences: Click on the app and then click “Options”. Choose the “High Performance” option to use the dedicated GPU.

Save Settings: Click the “Save” button.

Hope this is helpful.

Phil

#18 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:46 AM

I should have added that viewing distance is 2000 m, distant mountain is set to 40 km, Anti-aliasing is set to 2X MSAA in both cases. Setting Anit-aliasing to 32x MSAA and viewing distance to 5000 m drops the framerate to the 230s. Also, all was done with Windows 10, the build is the current version, so the lower frame rate was in an earlier build of Windows 10.

Phil

#19 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:49 AM

I run a Haswell i5 at 3.4GHz paired to an Nvidia 4Gb 1050Ti. FPS are locked to the monitor refresh rate ( 60hz ). Generally my FPS runs at 59/60 whatever route I run although on routes with high scenery density it can drop as low as 35 or so.

#20 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:12 PM

View PostP Escue, on 23 April 2024 - 09:46 AM, said:

I should have added that viewing distance is 2000 m, distant mountain is set to 40 km, Anti-aliasing is set to 2X MSAA in both cases. Setting Anit-aliasing to 32x MSAA and viewing distance to 5000 m drops the framerate to the 230s. Also, all was done with Windows 10, the build is the current version, so the lower frame rate was in an earlier build of Windows 10.

Phil

Thanks Phil!
I was having trouble with a 10,000m distance.
I'm not getting your FPS at 5,000, but I have a 5120x2160 display, I suspect I'd get a few more FPS at 1080p

- Jack

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users