• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difference in behaviour of headlights Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 April 2024 - 05:57 PM

It does not work at all for steam locomotives unless you have the Angle WAY UP!! Here is the light for the 261 steam locomotive.

Angle set at 5.0

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-04-02 205120.jpg

Angle set at 35.0

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-04-02 205334.jpg

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-04-02 205320.jpg

Attached Image: Screenshot 2024-04-02 205442.jpg

#12 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 02 April 2024 - 06:04 PM

View PostJonatan, on 02 April 2024 - 04:13 PM, said:

The new system seems to suffer some issue where the origin points drifts back with speed so I had to set it a few meters ahead to prevent it from illuminating the model.

Here's a demonstration of this phenomenon.

If @pschlik is reading this: Pleas, please, PLEASE, fix this issue! We need it!

#13 User is offline   Goldstar 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 02 April 2024 - 06:28 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 01 April 2024 - 10:00 AM, said:

Part of the problem here is most MSTS values for the cone of light are wrong for MSTS and the redefinition of that parameter for OR has made the problem much worse. That will goof up a lot of feature testing.

On real locomotives the cone of light is about 5 degrees. I don't recall right now if that is 5 degrees on both sides of the center line or 5 degrees in total. I'm pretty sure it is 5d in total, just not positive.

Most MSTS cones are 1) grossly too wide and 2) grossly too short. I've seen cones of light illuminating the roadbed 3m in front of the train, about 60d either side of the centerline of light, and fading out 250m down the track. The light needs to illuminate what's on the track well beyond the stopping distance of the train. In the US that's often 1.5km.

There are the OR values I use:
Light (
comment( Cone of Bright Light )
Type ( 1 )
Conditions (
Headlight ( 3 )
Unit ( 2 )
Penalty ( 1 )
TimeOfDay ( 1 )
)
Cycle ( 0 )
FadeIn ( 0.5 )
FadeOut ( 0.5 )
States ( 1
State (
Duration ( 0.0 )
LightColour ( eff9ec95 )
Position ( 0.0 3.3 7.22 )
Transition ( 0 )
Radius ( 1000.0 )
Angle ( 5.0 )

)
)
)

Howdy,

If you're interested in a bit more realism, if you have parameters set up for a cone of dim light, try changing the FadeIn ( 0.5 ) to FadeIn ( 1.95 ). Do the same for the FadeOut ( 0.5 ), change to FadeOut ( 1.95 ). Changing those parameters in a cone of Bright light won't be visibly noticeable unless you have a cone of light rear, then you might see it. If your have a rear cone of light, then change the FadeIn and FadeOut to 1.95 as well.

Peter

#14 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 03 April 2024 - 07:36 AM

View PostTraindude, on 02 April 2024 - 06:04 PM, said:

Here's a demonstration of this phenomenon.

If @pschlik is reading this: Pleas, please, PLEASE, fix this issue! We need it!

Hey, it annoys me as much as you all. I'm in the middle of working through ~300 different lighting configurations to use the latest features and artwork, and I'm setting the light cone point 15 centimeters in front of the actual light position only to find the light starts to go through the locomotive at like 30 mph. I'm fairly certain the light cone position is being set one frame too late, and 1/60th of a second might not sound like a lot but at 60 mph you move 45 centimeters in that 1/60th of a second, which is definitely enough for the light to get messed up.

But I do not think this is something I can fix, nobody noticed this on the old light effect so it seems to be related to the light shader added by gltf, and not related to the calculation of where the code thinks the light is. Gltf is not my project to touch and I also don't want to add a workaround in my code because that's not actually fixing the problem.

#15 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:19 PM

View Postpschlik, on 01 April 2024 - 06:46 AM, said:

• It also just looks particularly bad on some old MSTS stock where developers placed the light emitter in the middle of the locomotive. The previous lighting model didn't look right in this case but this new one makes it even more obvious. Maybe we need a 'correct questionable lighting parameters' option
Is it possible to leave the old code running for legacy files?

The new code could be enabled whenever a user applies one of the new parameters in the light configuration. This might allow legacy files to function as they have been. Hence users could elect to stay with what they have at the moment, or to make changes to the WAG file to get the new features.

#16 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:30 PM

View Postpschlik, on 03 April 2024 - 07:36 AM, said:

Hey, it annoys me as much as you all. I'm in the middle of working through ~300 different lighting configurations to use the latest features and artwork, and I'm setting the light cone point 15 centimeters in front of the actual light position only to find the light starts to go through the locomotive at like 30 mph. I'm fairly certain the light cone position is being set one frame too late, and 1/60th of a second might not sound like a lot but at 60 mph you move 45 centimeters in that 1/60th of a second, which is definitely enough for the light to get messed up.

But I do not think this is something I can fix, nobody noticed this on the old light effect so it seems to be related to the light shader added by gltf, and not related to the calculation of where the code thinks the light is. Gltf is not my project to touch and I also don't want to add a workaround in my code because that's not actually fixing the problem.

Sorry I got a little hasty there. I'm just so anxious to have it resolved!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users