• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Merging 1MSTS folder to TrainSimulations folder Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cnwfan 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 25 March 2024 - 06:36 PM

Hello. I've been away from Open Rails for awhile, but thought I'd give it another try. I'm on a new laptop that only has OR on it. My old MSTS install disks are long gone, but I did archive my old MSTS install folder (1MSTS) before changing computers. I have installed a Train Simulations route into the new computer, and would like to merge the content from the old 1MSTS folder into the TrainSimulations folder. Do I just need to bring over the GLOBAL, ROUTES, and TRAINS folders from 1MSTS? There is also a SOUNDS folder that is not present in the TrainSimulations folder. Bring that one over also?

With TSRE, it looks like I can only make consists and activities from one install folder at a time. Thank you!

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 March 2024 - 07:17 PM

DO NOT merge the older MSTS content with the newer TrainSimulations route --- keep them separate, their content has it's own GLOBAL and SOUND folders.
OR can accommodate more than one profile. Put all your older MSTS content into a folder --- GLOBAL, SOUND, ROUTES, & TRAINS...keep it named 1MSTS and point OR to it using the Options/Content Tab.

By design the newer TrainSimulations routes will be installed to its' own folder....follow their instructions....after installing point OR to their content using the Options/Content Tab.

View Postcnwfan, on 25 March 2024 - 06:36 PM, said:

With TSRE, it looks like I can only make consists and activities from one install folder at a time. Thank you!

I have about 40 different OR profiles that are accessible with TSRE --- for use by the route editor, consist editor, or activity editor. Look for the Browse button on the consist editor gui to browse to your content. See Screenshot. There is a TSRE manual by Pete Willard at GitHub.
TSRE Manual

Attached File(s)

#3 User is offline   cnwfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 26 March 2024 - 04:24 PM

Thank you for the warning! I'm glad I asked before I blindly proceeded. So with the separate older MSTS content in one profile, and the newer Train Simulations in a different profile, can I create consists in TSRE that uses content from both profiles? I have a fair amount of the Diesels West content that could be used in the Train Simulations routes. If not, it's not the end of the world, it would be just one of those "nice to haves". Thanks!

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 26 March 2024 - 05:32 PM

View Postcnwfan, on 26 March 2024 - 04:24 PM, said:

So with the separate older MSTS content in one profile, and the newer Train Simulations in a different profile, can I create consists in TSRE that uses content from both profiles?

No. You can open more than one Consist Editor at a time .... and make consists. Those consists are saved to the Consist subfolder in that content profile only.

Each OR profile will have the same four main folders in it: 1MSTS\GLOBAL SOUND ROUTES\route subfolders TRAINS\Trainset & Consist subfolders.

The Trainsimulations content profile will also have the same folders. The consist Editor will store consists in the specific TRAINS\Consist subfolder folder you have open.

Of course, you can copy consists to another profile consist folder ---- providing the associated trainset folder has the stock required in the consist file.
More Reading.... scan chapters 4&5 Open Rails Manual

#5 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 27 March 2024 - 12:20 PM

You can have multiple installs share trainset and consists, it's what I do since there's decent overlap between the OR TrainSimulations and MSTS Streamlines content. However, this is not facilitated by OpenRails and you'd have to do some work in Windows to pull this off.

I pulled this off by having my TRAINS folder in a special folder not attached to any MSTS/OR install, then creating a symbolic link from this TRAINS folder to the install location for my Streamlines and TrainSimulations stuff. By using a symbolic link, OpenRails (or any program, TSRE included) thinks it's loading files from two different folders "TrainSimulations\TRAINS" and "Streamlines\TRAINS" but in reality Windows will feed it files from the same folder "AllCommon\TRAINS" in both cases. I have to be careful installing things, making sure to manually move files to the right places (I don't trust installers to play nice with the symbolic links) but once I install one train set or consist, that train will appear in every install I have linked the TRAINS folder to.

I am not going to explain how to pull off creating symbolic links, there are plenty tutorials and programs out there to do that. But I would not recommend doing that if you aren't savvy with Windows and file manipulation.

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:21 PM

View Postpschlik, on 27 March 2024 - 12:20 PM, said:

I am not going to explain how to pull off creating symbolic links, there are plenty tutorials and programs out there to do that. But I would not recommend doing that if you aren't savvy with Windows and file manipulation.

Exactly why I didn't go into it .... I'm wayyyy less savvy about it than you and would have to work to get it done....not even gonna try explaining it. I've been using Junction Link Magic to make links for my common folders. I still am not clear about the difference between junction and symbolic links. ( Please don't take up your time explaining it, I can do the research if the spirit moves me ).

#7 User is offline   cnwfan 

• Apprentice

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:25 PM

Phillip... I'll look into the symbolic links. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm far from an expert when it comes to all things IT, even though I manage an IT department. I have team members way smarter than me when it comes to things like this. I know just enough to be dangerous... hence why I don't have an admin login. I'll discuss with my sys admin at work about this as he is good about explaining technical concepts in a way that I can understand.

Gerry... thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction. It is much appreciated!

#8 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 28 March 2024 - 07:22 AM

I use Link Shell Extension.
It's pretty intuitive.

Randy

#9 User is offline   DexterXSR 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:35 AM

You don't need to merge the two together (I certainly don't, I have 5 seperate install folders for the different base content, 1 for ZigZag, 1 for MSTS content, 1 for PRR Eastern Region, 1 for L&PS and 1 for TS Routes), as Open Rails can use seperate install folders.

#10 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:57 PM

I use Junction Link Magic.

I have several installs and they all point to the same consist and trainsim folders.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users