Elvas Tower: Compound locomotives. - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compound locomotives. These locomotives do not departure since two last updates. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:14 PM

I have uploaded a "workaround" to the latest Unstable version which will get the locomotives moving.

The problem occurs because OR only supports balanced Compounds (ie HP = LP Cylinders) at this time. Unequal cylinders will not work, as you have described. The internal calculations are all set up for a balanced locomotive.

The fix that I have applied will convert the locomotive to a balanced configuration, and it should therefore run. This will enable people to still put "real" cylinder numbers into the ENG file, but the performance will be a balanced one until this model is coded into OR.

#12 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 05 April 2024 - 01:50 PM

Good to hear a workaround is applied, currently my compound locos are set up as simple with the steam usage to mirror the HP part.
Doing it this way may not be accurate, but tweaking the cylinder and steam values one can simulate the effect of an unbalanced compounds better fuel economy. Either way has no visible effect on the 3D model anyway.

I'm curious why the Vauclain model was chosen, as it's not a very common model. The 1 HP - 1-2 LP model was by far the more common variant in Europe and elsewhere. The need for the simpling valve to start would make these locos interesting to operate.

Even true mallets would use the simpling valve to give extra "boost" on starting a heavy train.

#13 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 April 2024 - 12:44 AM

View PostJonatan, on 05 April 2024 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'm curious why the Vauclain model was chosen, as it's not a very common model. The 1 HP - 1-2 LP model was by far the more common variant in Europe and elsewhere. The need for the simpling valve to start would make these locos interesting to operate.

It was the simplest to code.

The indicator cards for the other types of compound are a lot more complicated to model in the code.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users