Elvas Tower: Where to start when making my first pieces of rolling stock? - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where to start when making my first pieces of rolling stock? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   frs bnsf bear 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:14 AM

I've recently got back into Open Rails and have been wanting to create my own rolling stock packs for quite some time now. However, I don't know where to go to learn how to begin making my own rolling stock models, textures, etc. Does anyone have some good resources for someone looking to get into rolling stock creation?

#2 User is offline   frs bnsf bear 

• Apprentice

Posted 07 January 2024 - 02:08 AM

View PostWeter, on 07 January 2024 - 12:50 AM, said:

Welcome to ET community, at first!

Nowadays, the majority of modelers here on ET are using or switching to Blender.
You can find a lot of tutorials, experience sharings and discussions here.
Also, there is revolutionary discovery, that all rolling stock can be stored in one place, while every route installation may have it's own consists, calling units by relative path links.
And yet, pay attention on usage of include files - the very handy way to keep features of rolling stock compact, unified and always up to date.

Steam4me site stays, for me, the great treasury of tutorials for MSTS beginners, this site's library contains resource kits by greatest modelers of (mostly north-American stock&trackside objects), pay attention on Erick Cantu's repaint kits especially. I believe, that could help You to learn, how repainting work may be done.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any links you know of that would help with modelling? I know how to use blender and I know how to make models I just am lost when it comes to rolling stock for ORTS because I'm not sure exactly how the system works for rolling stock. I don't really know where to go to look for guidance on just what to do. For example, I don't know if I need to model bogies separate or model them connected to the freight car.

This post has been edited by frs bnsf bear: 07 January 2024 - 02:13 AM

#3 User is offline   frs bnsf bear 

• Apprentice

Posted 07 January 2024 - 02:26 AM

View PostWeter, on 07 January 2024 - 02:23 AM, said:

There is specially made converter for ORTS modeling with Blender. by Wayne Campbell - the Father of ORTS.
There are threads, where new to Blender, but experienced with older editors, modelers are discussing with guys, more aware about Blender, how to improve the work.
I hope, search engine will help more. I only know, there is dedicated forum branch for Blender usage here. Sorry, I currently not a 3D modeler.

AFAIK, indeed Erick Cantu develops "resource-saving" technology, where similar bogeys, modeled (and later improved) once, then come to all cars, having them.

Alright, I'll look at some of Erick Cantu's rolling stock and try to figure out the process from there. Thanks for the help! :D

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 January 2024 - 02:36 AM

About links:
I think, good start will be here:
https://www.elvastow...modeling-tools/
(it might be, You should ask ET admins to let You in)

I see it, as a great luck, since a person, skilled with Blender, but not being stuck wit MSTS constraints and habits, getting interest to start ORTS content creation career. Especially now, when there are hot discussions, about ORTS graphics improvoment.
I mean, using glTF models and PBR for textures may help ORTS to be improved in visual side a lot.

Try to contact him via PM, or via his stock's discussion threads - I believe, You could get some more concrete answers then.
Also, look for Pete Willard's posts and tutorials - I suppose, he is our Blender-to-ORTS master.
Good luck!

#5 User is online   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 07 January 2024 - 02:43 AM

The following should help with content creation.

https://github.com/p...CC-Notebook.pdf

https://github.com/p...ke3Dcabs_V4.pdf

#6 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 07 January 2024 - 02:51 AM

Yes, just, what I've meant.
Meet with Marek - one of (IMO) known modeling masters as well ;)

#7 User is online   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 07 January 2024 - 05:01 AM

Very kind of you Weter, but I'm certainly no master.

#8 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 07 January 2024 - 05:04 AM

That's my opinion, based on observation about development's quality and depth of immersion into process.
So, pardon me ("IMO" remark have been added into post above).
Especially SD40-2/3D cab project deserves attention in this context - worthfulness and potential collaboration.

So, should I remove my introductions?

#9 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 07 January 2024 - 06:47 AM

Hi Folks,

If you know how to model and texture - this should be a no brainer.

Using a basic US freight car for reference.

Open up any freight car in Shape Viewer and select the Hierarchy View from the menu - that should provide the basic structure you are looking for.

I use "Empties" in Blender to define the models Hierarchy - the MAIN Empty is at the world origin and the entire model is parented to that.

Each "BOGIE" gets its own Empty - centered at the pivot point of the Bogie - at a Z of zero. BOGIE is parented MAIN.

Each "WHEELS" gets an Empty parented to BOGIE - centered to each axle.

If you use the names defined in the image below - you don't need to animate anything - ORTS will handle it. They're defined keywords.

Each cube illustrated below is a Draw Call - ideally - you want a single texture Draw Call for each element in the hierarchy. Draw Calls affect performance and are especially important when you have a large number of models in a given scene.

Attached Image: Capture.JPG

For Wayne's MSTS/ORTS Exporter to work - you need a Collection called MAIN and MAIN_2000 for the first LOD - additional LOD's will be defined by changing the "2000" number to that which you desire. The following illustrates same. Capitalization is necessary. All the parts will need to be textured.

Attached Image: Capture1.JPG

We're here to help.

Regards,
Scott

#10 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:05 AM

I'd add, that ShapeViewer DDS extension would be more helpful for use nowadays.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users