Control Car causes crash Simulation crashes or won't load Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:56 AM

View PostPaul B, on 07 January 2024 - 06:15 AM, said:

Hi;

Thank you Peter, the patch seems to have fixed the crashing issue after a quick test today.

Without wanting to take things off topic into development rather than bugs; I do agree with Weter that we should not be specifying if a control car can/should control a specific type of traction. I believe many control cars/driving trailers are/were capable of controlling either diesel or electric locomotives (e.g. the German n-Wagen, British 4-TCs etc.).

As I understand things we just define what controls, switches, gauges etc a control car/driving trailer has. If the locomotive/powered car it is controlling does not happen to have a given control, switch or readout there is no problem, that control simply doesn't do anything. e.g. operating the pantograph switch when controlling a diesel locomotive just does nothing. It would be awkward and limiting if we had to define separate .eng files for a driving trailer depending on what type of loco it is controlling.

I was going to test to see if a control car could control a steam locomotive (I'm thinking GWR autocoach here)

Regards;

-Paul

I don't want to oblige, but I would like to see such a cabin. I haven't seen this before. I looked through the range of The-Train.de several times, but I always came to the conclusion that there are diesel and electric locomotive cabins. Original is good too.

#12 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:40 PM

Thank you Peter, the patch seems to have fixed the crashing issue after a quick test today.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Without wanting to take things off topic into development rather than bugs; I do agree with Weter that we should not be specifying if a control car can/should control a specific type of traction. I believe many control cars/driving trailers are/were capable of controlling either diesel or electric locomotives (e.g. the German n-Wagen, British 4-TCs etc.).

As I understand things we just define what controls, switches, gauges etc a control car/driving trailer has. If the locomotive/powered car it is controlling does not happen to have a given control, switch or readout there is no problem, that control simply doesn't do anything. e.g. operating the pantograph switch when controlling a diesel locomotive just does nothing. It would be awkward and limiting if we had to define separate .eng files for a driving trailer depending on what type of loco it is controlling.
The Control Car implementation was very crude and simple, and in theory it should "inherit" some properties and features in regards to any locomotive control features. For example I think that the basic throttle and direction controls can be passed from the control car to any other locomotives in the consist. However some other controls are not readily inherited, for example, the operational gear controls for the control car in a DMU, these have to be coded into the operation of the Control Car. Some brake controls I think are also inherited.

I was going to test to see if a control car could control a steam locomotive (I'm thinking GWR autocoach here)
That sounds good, the only caution that I offer is that any future changes to OR may change this "untested" and "uncoded" functionality.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users