Control Car causes crash Simulation crashes or won't load Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:32 AM

Hi all;

Sorry if this is already known about...

There seems to be an issue with control cars crashing the sim.

Using testing version: T1.5.1-794-g4cad06780

Tried initially with some of my own physics/eng files (that worked previously) and noticed the issue. Tested with the test stock for control cars from the coals to newcastle site (au_ctn_test_model_dmu_control_trailer_v2.exe) and results in same issue.

It seems rolling stock set up as control cars cause the sim to crash or not load at all. In the test today the sim did not load, I just get the following error message (also shown at bottom of log file):

Error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Orts.Simulation.RollingStocks.MSTSControlTrailerCar.Update(Single elapsedClockSeconds) in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\RollingStocks\MSTSControlTrailerCar.cs:line 199
at Orts.Simulation.Physics.Train.physicsUpdate(Single elapsedClockSeconds) in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\Physics\Train.cs:line 1964
at Orts.Simulation.Physics.Train.Update(Single elapsedClockSeconds, Boolean auxiliaryUpdate) in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\Physics\Train.cs:line 1847
at Orts.Simulation.Simulator.Update(Single elapsedClockSeconds) in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\Simulator.cs:line 848
at Orts.Viewer3D.Viewer.Update(RenderFrame frame, Single elapsedRealTime) in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Viewer.cs:line 748
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.UpdaterProcess.Update() in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\UpdaterProcess.cs:line 128
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.UpdaterProcess.DoUpdate() in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\UpdaterProcess.cs:line 108
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.UpdaterProcess.UpdaterThread() in C:\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Testing\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\UpdaterProcess.cs:line 74
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

With my own stock I did get the simulation to load, but as soon as OR was un-paused after starting it crashed with the same or similar error.

Everything seems to work ok with the control car trailing but trying to drive from the control car results in game crash.

Hopefully not too difficult to fix.

Regards;

-Paul

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:38 AM

After posting I found this thread:

https://www.elvastow...884#entry295884

However I don't think the issue is just related to the brake system. I tried with my own vacuum and air braked control cars and both crashed the sim.

Regards;

-Paul

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 January 2024 - 11:25 PM

View PostPaul B, on 04 January 2024 - 04:32 AM, said:

There seems to be an issue with control cars crashing the sim.

To confirm, is your stock a geared or non-geared DMU?

#4 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice

Posted 06 January 2024 - 02:56 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 04 January 2024 - 11:25 PM, said:

To confirm, is your stock a geared or non-geared DMU?

I get crashes seemingly with any non-gearbox fitted driving control trailer.

I did try the green diesel mechanical (class 101) unit from your site and that did not cause a crash, the sim loaded but I could not control the gears from the driving trailer car.

Regards;

-Paul

#5 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:31 AM

In the latest unstable version I can get both DEMU and EMU control cars to work. There seems to be a small cab view bug where some of the gauges do not read correctly either speed or current. Also with demu, there was wheelslip that continued even after throttle was closed requiring a moderate brake application to end the slipping.

It seems to be hit and miss, diesel and electric control cars without gears work in some older versions, but in some versions they do cause a crash to desktop.

Steam control cars were functional until U2023.11.22-2037 but cause a crash to the desktop in subsequent versions.

With regard to control trailers with gears, I am not sure that they have ever worked properly. Although they function in many older versions, it seems that it was never possible to change gears N>4>3>2>1 and that gear change was limited to N>4 only.

#6 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:54 AM

Hello

Is there an entry in the control car which locomotive it belongs to?
I mean something like the Type entry in the locomotive Engine section.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#7 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:05 PM

View PostWeter, on 06 January 2024 - 11:57 AM, said:

engine(
Type (Control)
...)

Yes, that's fine. BUT it doesn't show what kind of locomotive he can control. The steam and diesel controllers do not have a current collector switch and there is no line voltage (overheadwire) meter. Although the opposite is also true. There are no engine oil pressure gauges or cooling water temperature gauges in the control cars belonging to electric locomotives.
Maybe this should be a new entry in the Engine section of the eng file related to creating a leader position. Just like the locomotives, the Type entry defines the controls available in the cvf file. It can also be in the wagon section, as it is easier.
I'm sorry if it's not clear, the machine translation sometimes makes me laugh.

Ps.
It could be something like this:
Engine ( ...
	Wagon ( ... )
	Type ( Control Diesel )

Engine ( ...
	Wagon ( ... )
	Type ( Control )
	ControlledType ( Diesel)

#8 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:24 PM

I have added a patch to the Unstable version that hopefully fixes the crash issue.

Give it an hour or two and then check it.

#9 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for efforts, as always.

it doesn't show what kind of locomotive he can control

Can't it be any type (with needed controls&gauges defined in *.cvf, while other ones - just being omitted) In Manual, it's said, "the control car will cintrol and show readings of the closest motorizes unit in consist" - just so.

defines the controls available in the cvf file

By the way, about 15 years ago, here appeared "Hybrid" trainsets, taking 3kV from katenery, where it's available, but having diesels under the froor - to continue over unelectrified part of lines...
So, why restrict?

#10 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice

Posted 07 January 2024 - 06:15 AM

Hi;

Thank you Peter, the patch seems to have fixed the crashing issue after a quick test today.

Without wanting to take things off topic into development rather than bugs; I do agree with Weter that we should not be specifying if a control car can/should control a specific type of traction. I believe many control cars/driving trailers are/were capable of controlling either diesel or electric locomotives (e.g. the German n-Wagen, British 4-TCs etc.).

As I understand things we just define what controls, switches, gauges etc a control car/driving trailer has. If the locomotive/powered car it is controlling does not happen to have a given control, switch or readout there is no problem, that control simply doesn't do anything. e.g. operating the pantograph switch when controlling a diesel locomotive just does nothing. It would be awkward and limiting if we had to define separate .eng files for a driving trailer depending on what type of loco it is controlling.

I was going to test to see if a control car could control a steam locomotive (I'm thinking GWR autocoach here)

Regards;

-Paul

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users