Elvas Tower: Opt-in anonymous telemetry - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opt-in anonymous telemetry Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 December 2023 - 01:04 PM

Just so you know I am not against data collecting and I am all for it I just feel this is not the right approach in doing so and just had those few questions! Yes I agree that they need to set aside the last version that will work with Windows xp and Win7, move on and keep pushing Open Rails into the future instead of holding back just because a few people still use those window versions!

Brandon

#12 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 28 December 2023 - 11:56 AM

View PostJonatan, on 27 December 2023 - 10:23 AM, said:

I am automatically against any form of data collection and will opt out wherever such an option is available. I'm already fighting Micro$oft, Googl£ etc on that front, why should I need to fight you as well?

View PostJames Ross, on 26 December 2023 - 06:21 AM, said:

If you choose to opt-in or opt-out, we'll save that and never ask again (unless we want to change the data collected). You will always be able to change your decision in the menu and we will not be collecting any information on opt-in or opt-out. Even if you are not "selected", you will always be able to opt-in or opt-out in the menu, so anyone can participate.

As James wrote above, you will never be automatically opted in to data collection.

The downside, for those who don't opt in, is that their configuration will not be sampled so no weight will be given to the way they like to use Open Rails.

View PostWeter, on 27 December 2023 - 10:18 AM, said:

What is opt-out? Will it be true block of "calling back home", or will it turn such "activity" hidden from me, plus marking: "this user did express his disagreement with surveillance" eh?

IT corporations have been caught doing sneaky things and they don't let you see their source code. But this case is quite different and does not deserve the same justifiable condemnation.

This is telemetry done the way it should be: It's opt-in. The collection code is public and always available for scrutiny. It's intended for the benefit of our community's project. And it's being implemented by guys whom you have known for a long time.

#13 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 December 2023 - 06:08 PM

But this case is quite different and does not deserve the same justifiable condemnation.

Sorry, if that sounds offencive. Instead of meaning exactiy "This"=ORTS case, there was said about the worst case.

#14 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:24 PM

I still do not agree with the way you guys are approaching this and feel many of us will opt out of this! Why can't a simple poll be in place instead of collecting personal data from all of our servers and what about the ones that use VPN to hide there IP addresses? Sure there is an Opt in or Opt out but there are still a ton of unanswered questions that many of us have!

Brandon

#15 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:32 PM

Seems like Chris and James have been pretty straight forward on this.

If you're really worried about someone knowing what operating system you're on, opt out.

If you don't trust what's happening, look at the code... or compile your own version that deletes it.

#16 User is offline   Jack@Elvas 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:All

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:06 PM

View Posteolesen, on 28 December 2023 - 09:32 PM, said:

Seems like Chris and James have been pretty straight forward on this.

If you're really worried about someone knowing what operating system you're on, opt out.

If you don't trust what's happening, look at the code... or compile your own version that deletes it.

I'm with Eric and the devs on this one - Collecting standard telemetry is pretty normal in the software industry and will allow a good cross section of users to be represented.

A survey, would severely limit the number of responses, and they would be skewed to regulars here on this forum.

#17 User is offline   PerryPlatypus 

• Fireman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Access 1 Open Rails Forums

Posted 29 December 2023 - 02:41 AM

Man, talk about a strong reaction from some folks. Data is *only* going to be collected if you click a button to opt-in. So if you don't like having your data collected, then just... don't click that button. Seems simple, no?

It seems pretty obvious from the first post that the primary reason for the data collection is for the ORTS team to see what percent of users will be affected if support for Windows 7 is dropped in future versions of OR. (I'm rooting that it's a pretty small percentage, and we can swiftly move past this to implementing new graphics features compatible only with post-Windows 7 operating systems, and get them into a new "stable" version.)

Worth noting that a poll on just this site and/or trainsim.com is only going to capture a fraction of ORTS users, and heavily skewed towards North American users I would imagine. It might seem to us like the epicenter of the ORTS world is here and TS.com, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of ORTS users than seldom if ever come on either site. The Indian community being one huge group for example.

#18 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2023 - 07:40 AM

why not to offer user to answer some poll questions manually and optionally, while downloading ORTS?
One can answer all of them, part of them, or skip poll, then download distributive.

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2023 - 07:41 AM

View PostPerryPlatypus, on 29 December 2023 - 02:41 AM, said:

It might seem to us like the epicenter of the ORTS world is here and TS.com, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of ORTS users than seldom if ever come on either site. The Indian community being one huge group for example.

Members from India are the 2nd largest community on this site. That are, perhaps, 100% only in the Open Rails forums. I suspect many others visit only as guests.

#20 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 December 2023 - 09:39 AM

I have added the following new questions with answers to the OP:

• Where will data be sent?
  • What about IP addresses?
  • Who will have access to data?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic