• You cannot reply to this topic

Defects on the Railroads Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#11 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 December 2023 - 09:26 AM

Although MSTS did that, I still don't think it's the priority for given case.
Furthermore, ORMT and M$ do have different "weight" being in court (in worst case).
And... policy have shifted since 2001-th.

#12 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 30 December 2023 - 11:10 AM

MSTS did have the option to turn derailments off, and while I've never seen any visual indication of a derailment nor the train brought to a standstill, the text messages get annoying without such an option.

Entertaining Brandons ideas being implemented, how and what should happen? A random headlamp failing, traction motor cut out, prime mover stalling, boiler tube failing etc. What would result in a potential "game over" situation, or should there be safeguards to always allow remedying the situation to avoid needing to reset the running session a lá Railroader?

That was one of MSTS' drawbacks; spend hours on running an activity just to have "game over".

#13 User is online   Weter 

Posted 30 December 2023 - 11:18 AM

Fair.
MSFS have an option for turning all malfunctions off, either ts pick, which kind of them (or all), and how often would happen.
So, player had a choice - either to play with working well machine, either to struggle with desired amount, kind and frequency of possible failures.

#14 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 30 December 2023 - 05:33 PM

Whether visual or message there some defects that could happen without a game over but fix/reset in game or at least give discipline if no care is given asap. We have random hot bearings pop up that if affected wag has equipped special effects then smoke appears but have not had sticky brakes or handbrakes to have a special effect like smoke or sparks at high speeds whether brakes or/and sliding wheels. For engine failures we yet need special effect placed for fire breathing.

If visual derailments are an issue to not display there is always the option to turn off, game over like MSTS or the option to include special parameters to stock or shapes to have its own orientation for derail animation (XYZ O rigin center) and if not equipped keep it on the rail then those worried will not see what they fear to see. I remember a glitch years ago in ORTS for short cars like EOT example would twist flip like a derailed stock and only glitch around while moving, but only glitch now is TSRE miss tdb nodes derailing at switches or intensional invisible track twisting at derails or dead ends.

As an engineer I'm surprised ORTS hasn't made slack action felt in the cab based on impact like switches do or sound triggers harder the louder or softer the quieter but think that's a cab sms thing. In real life there some random engines that don't like a certain speed exceeded they tend to earthquake sway even on the smoothest tangent track ( had lots of Gevos or C44ACs not like 61mph I feel I'm in GTA San Andreas )

#15 User is online   Weter 

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:00 PM

For engine failures we yet need special effect placed for fire breathing.

Currently (as Manual says) only white smoke in case of turbocharger's failure.

ORTS hasn't made slack action felt in the cab based on impact like switches do or sound triggers

Gonna be cool.
Automatic squeal in tight curves and special sound, while passing switches are possible, ehrought track sound settings, not a cab sound.

some random engines that don't like a certain speed exceeded they tend to earthquake sway even on the smoothest tangent track

Suspension system's resonance?

#16 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:09 PM

In terms of "defects" not yet modeled in Open Rails, I can think of a few:

• Damaging the cylinders from not opening the cylinder cocks before starting from a stop.
  • Brakes "fading", or losing their effectivity, due to the brake shoes getting too hot.
  • Burst air hose due to not opening angle cocks in the correct order.
  • Locomotive "seizing up" due to lack of lubrication of moving parts.
  • Air flow through firebox reduced by excessive ash accumulation in the ash pan.

Are these the kinds of "defects" we want to model? I just wanna make sure we're all on the same page.

#17 User is online   Weter 

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:16 PM

IMO, good thoughts.
- MSTS' priming is not implemented so rar too
- Is it about die-cast shoes only?
- fair and worthful; relatively cheap to do
- how lubrication should work / be made-up?
- we have no grates swing control to dump ash yet

#18 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:22 PM

View PostWeter, on 30 December 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

- Is it about die-cast shoes only?

Not necessarily. All brake shoes of any material has a limit to how much heat can be dissipated, and if this is exceeded, then the brakes will no longer have the same stopping power as they do at normal ambient temperature--essentially you need more braking force to decelerate at the same rate!

View PostWeter, on 30 December 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

- how lubrication should work/ be made-up?
- we have no grates swing control to dump ash yet

Both of these features are dependent on these features (ash dumping, lubricators, etc) being implemented in the future. We obviously can't add them now.

Another thing I have thought of is boiler water foaming due to contamination in the water.

Then there's failures of grade-crossing signals and gates (just like lineside signal failures).

#19 User is online   Weter 

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:25 PM

First three are good to go, IMO, two other...
We "can" add, but can't affect - I'd say...

Hah, there is such "failed" crossing on Hungarian 120a route.
Shivering, while lorry jumps across track just in front of your train's nose!

#20 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:38 PM

Here's another one I thought of--and not necessarily a "defect" per se--but it's the implementation of Emergency Brake applications actuated by AI.

We can potentially add a new activity event (location event or time event) that causes the emergency brakes on the player's train to apply. This can simulate an emergency application initiated by the conductor or a passenger on board the train (using the so-called "conductor's valve").

"WHO IN THE BLAZES APPLIED THAT EMERGENCY BRAKE?!?"
-Conductor, The Polar Express

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users