• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defects on the Railroads Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 December 2023 - 02:30 PM

Here is a video a friend of mine did about railroad defects. He used to work for BNSF maintenance shop and explains the different defects that would come in and what they meant. Would be nice to implement this some day into Open Rails.

https://www.youtube....h?v=m-l175V3CAM

#2 User is online   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 24 December 2023 - 07:27 AM

I think you're overthinking things. At current the only defects and failures are messages, and annoying ones at that. Having even more stuff breaking down would be a moot point.
How would these defects manifest themselves in ways that would affect the simulation, and what action would the player be forced to take? Would this be something fulfilling or just annoying during a running session? Should it be limited to activities or be foisted on the user regardless?

You don't need to beat around the bush about knowing Hyce, a number of us know who he is. I've been keeping an eye on the guy in his discord server for over a year now.

#3 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 26 December 2023 - 06:42 AM

Jonatan, on 24 December 2023 - 07:27 AM, said:

How would these defects manifest themselves in ways that would affect the simulation, and what action would the player be forced to take? Would this be something fulfilling or just annoying during a running session? Should it be limited to activities or be foisted on the user regardless?

I think the idea is the ability to configure an activity to allow a chance for random parts of equipment to fail. Such as a traction motor, a headlight, a pipe or valve, whatever.

#4 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 December 2023 - 07:08 AM

You don't need to beat around the bush about knowing Hyce, a number of us know who he is. I've been keeping an eye on the guy in his discord server for over a year now.

Okay for one I am not beating around the bush about knowing Hyce! I know people from all over the steam locomtoive preservation movement here in the US and highly educated when it comes to steam locomotives and railroading so I was only saying Hyde was a friend of mine and I don't find that a huge deal.

I think you're overthinking things. At current the only defects and failures are messages, and annoying ones at that. Having even more stuff breaking down would be a moot point.

Two I only put the video up as inspiration to the OR team to potentially add some of this into Open Rails. After all we are going for realism right? I will say I am getting really tired of people just shooting down my ideas without even giving it a though or chance. Sure some of them are out there but we need to start looking at the whole picture with Open Rails and not just one part.

When you look at other Train Simulators out there do they just focus on one aspect or do they look at things as a whole? I have been trying to think of different ideas that the Open Rails team would be able to implement to enhance the game in the future and many people have been giving me a lot of push back for it. Telling me it can not be done or no that is not a good idea!

What is the point of giving ideas when no one wants to listen?

Jovet, on 26 December 2023 - 06:42 AM, said:

I think the idea is the ability to configure an activity to allow a chance for random parts of equipment to fail. Such as a traction motor, a headlight, a pipe or valve, whatever.

Yes the idea was exactly what Jovet said! There is so much more to railroading then running a train back and forth and if Open Rails implemented some of the ideas others had I feel it would make the game that much more interesting to play!

Brandon

#5 User is offline   Niknak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR NewYear MG

Posted 27 December 2023 - 03:38 AM

Very interesting video. Thank you for posting.

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 27 December 2023 - 03:52 AM

I think that the idea of introducing random equipment failures has merit. Probably putting this onto a Trello card could be a first step, at least then it would have some form of formal recognition and at some point gain a place on the roadmap moving forward.

#7 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 December 2023 - 04:49 AM

copperpen, on 27 December 2023 - 03:52 AM, said:

I think that the idea of introducing random equipment failures has merit. Probably putting this onto a Trello card could be a first step, at least then it would have some form of formal recognition and at some point gain a place on the roadmap moving forward.

If I knew how to make Trello cards I would. Everywhere I click on the trello website I can not figure out how to make them.

#8 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 30 December 2023 - 12:20 AM

ATSF3751, on 27 December 2023 - 04:49 AM, said:

If I knew how to make Trello cards I would. Everywhere I click on the trello website I can not figure out how to make them.

Look at this thread for a tutorial.

#9 User is online   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 30 December 2023 - 04:37 AM

ATSF3751, on 26 December 2023 - 07:08 AM, said:

What is the point of giving ideas when no one wants to listen?

Apologies for being cynical, guess disillusion does that to a guy. I too wanted my ideas to be listened to, but after so many times---

But realy, what is the point of these failures if all they result in is <insert text message here>? I can run along with a "failed axle" or "derailed car" all day long with no consequence whatsoever, and this list of possible defects would give me the same amount of joy as recieving a repeating text message on my phone.

Before these potentially damaging and consequential failures can be put into the sim, the dev team needs to get past the percieved "we don't want OR to turn into a crashing game" barrier which have prevented having visible derailments implemented. And while as gruesome as they are, they're part of railroading as a consequence of gross negligence and bad operating practice!
When I can run an 0-6-0 at 200mph through 30ft curves without a care in the world, that's hardly realistic now is it?

Again, the ideas are nice and I'm sure they would add to the operating aspects of running trains in the sim, but without visible and game-mechanical consequence to the physics calculations that triggers them, they're a moot point. If realism is the endgame of Open Rails, perhaps we should go beond displaying a text message?

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 30 December 2023 - 08:48 AM

Jonatan, on 30 December 2023 - 04:37 AM, said:

Before these potentially damaging and consequential failures can be put into the sim, the dev team needs to get past the percieved "we don't want OR to turn into a crashing game" barrier which have prevented having visible derailments implemented.

We discussed this a little time ago and extended our policies to allow visible derailments, as you can see from the Policies webpage:

Attached Image: 2023-12-30 16_26_57-MS Excel with extensions - Squared1.jpg

It's OK to show a rail vehicle upright but displaced horizontally with the wheels no longer on the rails, but "turning OR into a crashing game" remains a no-no.

You may be aware that it is much more difficult to simulate vehicles flying through the air un-restrained by wheels on the track so crashes would take some complex programming.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users