• You cannot reply to this topic

CAB lighting steam locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 13 September 2023 - 07:21 AM

View PostTraindude, on 12 September 2023 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'm not sure if having separate "Cab Light" textures for steam locomotives is a necessity at this point. Keep in mind, that the gauge and water glass lights, by default, were illuminated continuously.

It is correct that usually the electric lighting (such as gauge and water glass lighting) is on continuously as long as the generator is running. (after all, it is also a "safety aspect").
If you realize this, you would not need night views, after all (at least here in Europe) the generator is almost always "on" while driving, even during the day, after all, necessary for the 3-point (DIM) lighting externally.

Despite the fact that gauge and water glass lighting is in principle always "on", for example, many German locomotives (the most familiar to me) have a central 'Cabin lighting', as in the photo.
Attached Image: CAB-licht.jpg

OK, the light bulb is usually also "on" (also often switchable on/off), but the "round hood with slit opening" is present while driving, provides a kind of "dashboard lighting" on the boiler wall (and does not blind the view for the driver and stoker if they go to have to look outside).
During a longer stop or, for example, cleaning the fire, the hood is removed and you have a beautiful "central lamp" that illuminates the entire cabin. You could read a newspaper... :)

IOW, you don't necessarily have to turn 'Cab Lighting' on/off with a "switch".

================================================================

I continued with the above 2D Cab views.

As an example, I added night textures to the locomotive textures and wagons.
I was really hoping that it finally worked well in OR, so night textures visible during the day in tunnels.

However..............
It turns out that the night textures are only visible from a "2D cabview position" (and then the whole train/consist simultaneously...) (picture-1)
and not from an external view position, such as END/HOME on 'View-5'. (picture-2)
I would expect the night textures to be activated or disabled "one by one" as a wagon or locomotive enters or exits the tunnel.

Attached Image: 2dCabView.jpg
Attached Image: ExternalView.jpg

What am I doing wrong again? :ko2:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users