• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CAB lighting steam locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 09 September 2023 - 03:36 AM

As standard in OR, "Cab lighting" does not work with steam locomotives. Logical in itself because on electric and diesel engines "L" is used for 'CAB lighting' and on steam locomotives for the 'Injector'.

However, I see when I change the "L" in the keyboard options to, for example, "ALT-L", that the CAB lighting continues to work on electric and diesel engines, now with "ALT-L", and the injector on steam locomotives still with " L" [OK !]

However, no CAB lighting on steam locomotives with "ALT-L", despite a different key combination.
Why doesn't this work? (or can this be made to work?)

#2 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 09 September 2023 - 04:28 PM

I'll concur. Steam locos did have cab lighting. So why this isn't enabled yet I don't know.

Hopefully we'll get it in future.

#3 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 September 2023 - 05:33 PM

Yes, steam locomotives did have cab lighting, usually lights to illuminate the gauges and water glasses at night. There was also some overhead cab lighting, such as a light for the engineer to read train orders, but, just like the overhead light in your car, having it illuminated while driving isn't a good idea, as the interior reflections in the windshield/window glass would obstruct your view of the track ahead.

Of course, in the days before electric lighting, the only cab lighting was for the gauges and water glass, usually oil, kerosene or acetylene lamps. For any other interior lighting, the crew used either a kerosene lantern or an open firebox door.

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:14 PM

It UK the oil lamp to read the gauges was all most locos had until the end of steam. Not sure how to achieve that effect in OR 2-D (or 3-D) has anyone seen any good examples?

#5 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:45 PM

transitive light for outer effect (not rare for firebox effect simulation), but no "highlighted surface, alas.

#6 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 10 September 2023 - 06:50 AM

Yes, CAB lighting is certainly present on 'modern' steam locomotives, especially if they also have electric lighting.
(I know some even have LED CAB lighting.... 8> )

To be sure, I obviously mean the directories "Night" and "Cablight" in the "Cabview" directory, where Cablight does not work, even though you can adjust the Key combination in OR differently for 'cablight' and 'injector'. ("L" or "Alt-L" as an example).
I just hope for a (quick) adjustment in the future.. :)

=======================================

As background, this question was also for the next "problem".

By default you have a CABview "front" (image 01)
Attached Image: 01 - Day-FrontCabView.jpg
and for external (out of the window) the views HOME/END or passenger view 'View-5'. Fine in itself, but unfortunately, as in reality, there is never a way to simultaneously see the working instruments, such as speedometer and braking system.

The new function "ORTSCabViewpoint ( x )" allows you to create multiple cabviews, such as images 02 and 03.
So an extra external view, also with working instruments and levers from the CAB, works well in itself.
Attached Image: 02 - Day-WindowCabView.jpg
Attached Image: 03 - Day-WindowCabView.jpg

These views dim well in the darkness, such as until sunset, etc. (image 04)
Attached Image: 04 - Night - WindowCabView-1.jpg
Of course you can create an extra "night view", like image 05, also works fine. So far so good!
Attached Image: 05 - Night - WindowCabView-2.jpg

However, a problem in OR arises in daytime hours and tunnels, because Cabviews switch to "night" in tunnels, but other objects such as the locomotive remain in day mode. (image 06)
(the external side of the CAB is dark, ie part of the CABview)
Attached Image: 06 - Day-WindowTunnelCabView.jpg

So, in simple summary, if Night and Cablight worked, you could use the "darkness" views during daytime hours and tunnels, Cablight during nighttime hours.

OK, all for information and maybe ideas for others?

Meanwhile, working on the 3rd challenge, whether the above is possible with "two layers of image", which theoretically should be possible.
(to be continued) :sweatingbullets:

#7 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:03 PM

View PostQJ-6811, on 10 September 2023 - 06:50 AM, said:

However, a problem in OR arises in daytime hours and tunnels, because Cabviews switch to "night" in tunnels, but other objects such as the locomotive remain in day mode. (image 06)
(the external side of the CAB is dark, ie part of the CABview)
Attachment 06 - Day-WindowTunnelCabView.jpg

An interesting observation that can hopefully be corrected!

#8 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 11 September 2023 - 01:15 AM

I had not realised that locomotives did not have night textures. So your screenshots are of a 2d cabview?

In a 3d cabview, the locomotive can be made to darken in tunnels because the parts of the locomotive that are visible from the cab can have night textures.

Geoff

#9 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 11 September 2023 - 08:21 AM

Geoff,

I just found why it didn't work for me..........
In the .SD's "Alternative_textures" was not set to '256'.... (sorry) :sign_oops:

Attached Image: Tunnelview.jpg

The reason that "Cablight textures" does not work remains of course, but with the night textures of the locomotive and hood there is now also a solution in combination with the 2D 'window views'.
(Just need a lot of rainy Sundays to provide all locomotives and wagons with night textures..... :sweatingbullets: )

:sign_thanks:

=============================

Geoff,

Edit:
I accidentally deleted my previous answer. (had a busy day....... :Neeeedsleeep: )

The answer to your question, they are indeed all 2D CAB views, of course now expanded with multiple views.
You indeed need a "hood" for the external view from your 2D cab, such as with a 3D cab.
In this case with the Garrat it is the boiler, the front and rear parts are the external views (this Garrat = .ENG+.ENG+.ENG with CAB in middle part).

#10 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 12 September 2023 - 01:10 PM

I'm not sure if having separate "Cab Light" textures for steam locomotives is a necessity at this point. Keep in mind, that the gauge and water glass lights, by default, were illuminated continuously. If the locomotive had electric lighting, the gauge lights would remain on as long as the locomotive dynamo or turbo-generator was running--at least I do not recall if there was a separate switch to turn them on or off. The same can be said for oil or gas lighting in the pre-electric days--once the lamps were lit, they were generally not tampered with or extinguished until the locomotive was shut down or the fire was dumped.

My knowledge of that practice with the oil lamps might be a little rusty, but I'm hoping some of you guys can chime in if I'm wrong!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users