Elvas Tower: External Sound Attenuation in Internal Views - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

External Sound Attenuation in Internal Views Different Levels for Individual Vehicles Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:19 AM

I think, these are managed by route's track-specific (sound regions) settings and it's related ttype.dat file (am I right?)
And if no dedicated sounds in route\sound directory - then Global sounds will be called.

I muted the track sounds. I use the OR Automatic switch and curve squeal track sound

Good, but how about concrete/wooden ties-supported tracks, beton slabs, bridges, made of different materials, crossing covers and tunnels -passing sounds then?..

#12 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:31 AM

I've tried this with my testing diesel locomotive and got nasty sound interference, after some changing views: I guess, the cause is not matching amount of activation/deactivation conditions at the beginning of file's text.

Weter, I'm sorry.
I forgot that the sounds coming in from outside must be extracted from the cab.sms file. In practice, only the clicking sound of the various switches, the ticking of the speedometer (if it has a sound), and the hissing sound of brake controllers should remain. Keep your sound of alertness, the characteristic sound of the acknowledgment pedal, and the characteristic hissing sound of an air wiper.
Since both the wag.sms and cab.sms files contained the diesel engine sound, this caused the chaos.

#13 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:38 AM

Since both the wag.sms and cab.sms files contained the diesel engine sound, this caused the chaos.

Touched with Your "I'm sorry" Thanks.
I've thought the same, and now totally agree with Your statement, but...
I hope, Ypu'll agree with me, that diesel's sound is often sounds very different in cab and outside.
So, it might be not good idea - to rely on external sounds only, totally removing internal sounds.
Even window glasses, supported by rubber, even poorly fixed parts will vibrate with diesel and upon joints - causing specific cab sound.
In M62 with advanced exhaust suppressor, diesel is almost muted in cab, only traction gear is heared.
My problem was making a copy of cab.sms for working in passenger view also.

Strict mutual-exclusive sets of conditions should be defined for not to mix streams, belonging to different *.sms-files.

#14 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 April 2023 - 01:44 AM

View PostWeter, on 22 April 2023 - 12:19 AM, said:

I think, these are managed by route's track-specific (sound regions) settings and it's related ttype.dat file (am I right?)
And if no dedicated sounds in route\sound directory - then Global sounds will be called.

Good, but how about concrete/wooden ties-supported tracks, beton slabs, bridges, made of different materials, crossing covers and tunnels -passing sounds then?..

I modified the TType.dat file according to the manual. The modified signal files, turntables, the alternative carspawn.dat, and the new TType.dat file are in the Openrails folder. This complements the original TType.dat file.
These settings should be used wisely. There are always exceptions where there are characteristic sounds. We have many bridges where bedding (ballast) is also carried over. And it has a serious sound dampening effect, even on a metal bridge. In the case of rails attached to the bridge timber, there is of course a characteristic sound. The bridge timber is bolted directly to the iron bridge and the rail is bolted to it. The so-called Strail elements, which are made of rubber, are also used in many places at road crossings. The part of it that fits the railway track is very soft. That's why there is no sound change. I asked train drivers in Facebook groups. They replied that there is no sound change at all in the Strail paved crossings. Of course, the situation is different in passages made from old Bodan covering elements. But there is less and less of that. Ah, yes. Due to the insulated rail circuits, a thick plastic insulator is placed under the washer plate. Concrete base (or wooden base), insulation board, washer board, the order is similar. In case of spring fastening, a plastic insulator is also placed between the shoulder of the concrete bottom and the clamping spring.

#15 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:00 AM

I mean, sound suddenly changes, when train passes different types of track work - so removing track sounds and using switch and curve ORTS automatic sounds playing is far not enough for now.

#16 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2023 - 06:59 AM

To make different amounts of sound insulation inside different vehicles you can use this in the wag files:
ORTSExternalSoundPassedThroughPercent ( 60 )
Although it would be nice to have jointed track sounds on old tracks and cwr sounds on new tracks where there is a mixture of both on the same route.

#17 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 22 April 2023 - 07:02 AM

Hello.
Is that working parameter, or currently projected?

mixture of both on the same route.

every 850m or so - always

#18 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 April 2023 - 07:24 AM

That is progressive and controllable way to define different sound sets, BUT
IT DOES DEMAND a great amount of work for making additional *.sms-files, where there were only one/two.

I invented this a long time ago and still use it today. Every now and then something new is needed, as this is what moves OR forward.
You cannot rigidly stick to 20-year-old traditions.
It's not that hard to put together. The basis was a wag.sms, which I necessarily modified. I just had to delete it.
I'm sorry if the appearance of a third SMS file seems confusing. Then I'd rather withdraw the proposal.

#19 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 April 2023 - 07:32 AM

View Postdarwins, on 22 April 2023 - 06:59 AM, said:

To make different amounts of sound insulation inside different vehicles you can use this in the wag files:
ORTSExternalSoundPassedThroughPercent ( 60 )
Although it would be nice to have jointed track sounds on old tracks and cwr sounds on new tracks where there is a mixture of both on the same route.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.
That's the good thing here, I always learn something. Where can you read cwr sounds?

#20 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2023 - 09:13 AM

@Weter At the moment you can only have either jointed track or welded track - not both on the same route.

@Laci This sound set includes cwr sound, I am sure there are others from other European countries. https://www.uktrains...orm_fileid=3824

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users