Elvas Tower: Sir - Please Step Away From That Keyboard - RailDriver Alternatives - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sir - Please Step Away From That Keyboard - RailDriver Alternatives ORTS - Button Boxes, Joysticks, to Building your own. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 April 2023 - 02:43 AM

View Postdajones, on 18 April 2023 - 02:57 PM, said:

Here is the home-made, hand-held train controller I use with my laptop while on the sofa.

Attachment controller.jpg

It has four rotary encoders that I use for direction, throttle, train brake and engine brake. For bail-off you push down on the engine brake. Inside is a Raspberry PI Pico running circuit python and acting like a keyboard.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Very cool - kick back and run trains - that's thinking outside the box.

Regards,
Scott

#12 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 19 April 2023 - 02:51 AM

View PostTraindude, on 18 April 2023 - 06:01 PM, said:

Like I said, I'm looking forward to ORTS working with non-RailDriver USB controllers--not just "keystroke emulation" but actual USB controllers/joysticks. We'll all just have to wait until someone comes along who is capable of coding such a USB interface.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I've brought this up several times over the years but there was never any follow up discussion - or even a response - on the matter.

Obviously - I don't know what type of coding effort would be involved - - - but to have ORTS interface directly with joystick or HID devices would be far preferable to having to send keystrokes. Then we could easily leverage every joystick, gamepad, or HOTAS device out there - without the middleman. Instead of counting keystrokes - ORTS would recognize what position the joystick is in - and respond accordingly. A far better way of doing business and how every Flight Sim has worked from the earliest days.

Regards,
Scott

#13 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:11 AM

ahhh
this is USB:
https://i.ibb.co/VQShtTd/8.jpg

#14 User is offline   dajones 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 April 2023 - 04:24 AM

I think the easiest way to get beyond keyboard emulation would be to use the OR web server interface and a WIFI capable micro controller. You could probably run IP over USB, but WIFI is probably easier to setup. I'm currently limited to OR 1.3.1 and I think the web server is a more recent feature.

Doug

#15 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 April 2023 - 11:01 AM

View Postdajones, on 19 April 2023 - 04:24 AM, said:

I think the easiest way to get beyond keyboard emulation would be to use the OR web server interface and a WIFI capable micro controller. You could probably run IP over USB, but WIFI is probably easier to setup. I'm currently limited to OR 1.3.1 and I think the web server is a more recent feature.

Doug

I'm not sure WIFI buys you a lot. But there is an easy to use wifi capable controller available if you use the Raspberry Pi PICO W. There is even firmware that lets you write code for it in BASIC. My link to WEBMITE INFO

#16 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 21 April 2023 - 03:49 PM

Finally a topic where you can discuss this possibility!
First of all, I understood that with the programs listed by Scott, I should practically have the necessary to be able to emulate a keyboard, and here we are, starting from my project.. I have in mind to create a real-sized driver's desk, 1 ,40mt x 90cm, including the seat of the second agent, this desk has two functions, controller and desk, the controller mode is practically only related to the conduct on open rails, while the desk mode in case you want to use the pc or the editors normally, in front, I'll put either a 32-inch monitor or a projector, but what I'd like to understand now is... how do I interface the various monitors in the cabin? I'm referring to barometers, brake line lights, safety system monitors, in short, how could I emulate them?

#17 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 21 April 2023 - 07:53 PM

Hello.
You mean, how to make analog dials working?

#18 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 22 April 2023 - 03:47 PM

Exactly, in the case of the Italian cockpits, it concerns the right and left diagnostic moninotors, needles of the general pipes, speedometer and dashboard of the safety systems

#19 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 April 2023 - 09:34 PM

There is one reality, and that is there are so many variables in regard to building a suitable game controller for ORTS. For example:

What type of throttle does a locomotive have? Is it notched or linear? If it's a North American-style 8-notch throttle, you will need to find a rotary switch or encoder with 9 detents in it. (For Run 1 through Run 8 plus Idle.) This is one flaw of the RailDriver and where a homebuilt controller has the upper hand. RailDriver's throttle doesn't detent at each notch position, so it's hard to find the right setting. And sometimes RailDriver will cause controls to rapidly "fluctuate" between settings. (Example: throttle would fluctuate between 34 and 37 % even though the lever is still.)

With so many variables in terms of locomotive controls, it's hard to pin a one-size-fits-all solution for an ORTS game controller!

#20 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 01 May 2023 - 04:17 PM

In my case, therefore speaking of Italy, the model I have taken into consideration is a unified type bench in the FS-93 style, in common use with many locomotives\EMUs, however the types of controls would not be so complicated to connect since moment in which there are 2 types of brakes, one for the locomotive and one for the entire train, for both, step potentiometers would be enough, while for the accelerator, a standard potentiometer would be enough, so for the dynamic brake lever.. other levers would be the selectors of the set speed, inverter, and the rest all buttons, the problem that troubles me is to interface the diagnostic Monitors ... left and right, the brake pressure gauges and speed indicator, and the dashboard of the safety system (Italian Scmt Sistem )

finding these objects is not difficult, since I have a 3D printer available, so it would be enough for me to draw them and connect them electrically .. but at the base of everything, I need an interface card created using Arduino Leonardo, having available this card with all the settings, the rest is just plugged in!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users