Elvas Tower: Sir - Please Step Away From That Keyboard - RailDriver Alternatives - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sir - Please Step Away From That Keyboard - RailDriver Alternatives ORTS - Button Boxes, Joysticks, to Building your own. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:52 AM

Hi Folks,

To stop hijacking "Traindudes" lighting thread - a place to discuss all things hardware alternatives to RailDriver.

Here is what I use by Ignition Controls - and my basic locomotive setup.

For you guys still using a keyboard - THIS - is a game changer.

Around $200.00 with industrial quality hardware - no real savings over RailDriver but is fully customizable and can be used with any application. I think it has a smaller footprint as well. The hardware appears to be of better quality on the Ignition Controls unit.

https://www.ignitioncontrols.com/

Ignition Controls VR2
Attached Image: ButtonBox.jpg

As for the interface to ORTS - since ORTS is strictly keystroke emulation (unless you custom code) - I'd highly recommend a small inexpensive program called - Voice Attack. It has a good voice control/recognition system that works exceptionally well - but - I don't use this function with Open Rails. In addition to voice - VA recognizes joysticks and keyboard shortcuts for input - which is what I use with my Button Box posted above. VA has a powerful built in scripting language to support macros - keeping them as simple or as complex as you desire. VA also has mouse macros to automatically move and click around the screen as needed. I've used the program with - ORTS - TSRE - P3D - ArmA - PSP - 3DC - and Blender - and it makes my life much better. The program is very intuitive and has been under development for years. Customer support of first rate on their forum. I've been an IT guy for 30 years and this is the best $10.00 I've ever spent on a utility - hands down (not affiliated in any way).

https://voiceattack.com/

Here is the VA Profile I use for ORTS - you can get a gist of what it is capable of:

Attached Image: Capture.JPG

Voice Attack:
  • Input from Voice, Joystick, Keyboard Shortcut
  • Can synthesize speech as output.
  • Powerful Macro Language - with variables, conditionals, and flow control.

Finally I use a second controller in my left hand to handle all ORTS Camera's and External Views.

Attached Image: Capture2.JPG

BYOB - Build Your Own Box

If you want to build your own Button Box Controller - - - a source for supplies necessary to support [Mechanical Switch Input] - to - [USB Output] is available here:

Leo Bodner Electronics
https://www.leobodna...=index&cPath=94

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:03 AM

Hi Weter,

Caught me before I was done.
:)

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:05 AM

https://kephost.net/p/OTA1NTU0.jpg

Hello.

If it's Raildriver. A version for home production. Made from dismantled locomotive parts. It was sold by its maker a few years ago. He replaced it with a 3D printed TRAXX raildriver. He also made that Raildriver

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#4 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:25 AM

Weter, on 18 April 2023 - 08:11 AM, said:

Pardon.
Hadn't any intentions for doing that.

Hello, Scott. Thanks.
As we say: "quality stuff may not be cheap".
What "kit" and what it initially for? Site said: "recognized as game controllers".

Hi Weter,

LOL - it wasn't your fault - I inadvertently posted before I was done.

"Kit" - is just slang for "Equipment" - I think it started with the British Military referring to the gear they needed for a mission.

Yeah - the hardware is seen by the PC as a Game or Joystick controller - which doesn't work with ORTS - ORTS requires keystroke emulation - so Voice Attack handles the conversion.

Regards,
Scott

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:29 AM

Laci1959, on 18 April 2023 - 09:05 AM, said:

Hello.

If it's Raildriver. A version for home production. Made from dismantled locomotive parts. It was sold by its maker a few years ago. He replaced it with a 3D printed TRAXX raildriver. He also made that Raildriver

Sincerely, Laci 1959

Hi Laci,

Very impressive - but there would be no getting - - - that - - - past my wife.
;)

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:41 AM

Yes, I've understood a "kit" word itself, as a "set of some standalone things for serving some purpose together" - so my question was: isn't that black box the only part of said "kit" for $200, or some more equipment was included?
(For example, "kit" is carton box with plastic parts of plane model-copy + glue + decals + paints + manual + stand
or
Joystick+pedals+cables+adaptors)

#7 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:54 AM

Hi Weter,

Sorry for the confusion - no - just the button box shown above.

FYI - they don't even ship a USB cable with the unit - so you'll need to have or buy one.

Regards,
Scott

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:03 AM

But offer L-shaped adapter as a separate lot.

About 15 years ago, or so - I've seen in computers shop the metal imitation of F-16 controls... have decided "to wait".

BTW - I very often forget to use "preview" button, while composing or improving my posts.
That consumes more time to reload and affects views count. Preview allows to see final post and editor simultaneously.

#9 User is offline   dajones 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:57 PM

Here is the home-made, hand-held train controller I use with my laptop while on the sofa.

Attached Image: controller.jpg

It has four rotary encoders that I use for direction, throttle, train brake and engine brake. For bail-off you push down on the engine brake. Inside is a Raspberry PI Pico running circuit python and acting like a keyboard.

Doug

#10 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 April 2023 - 06:01 PM

Like I said, I'm looking forward to ORTS working with non-RailDriver USB controllers--not just "keystroke emulation" but actual USB controllers/joysticks. We'll all just have to wait until someone comes along who is capable of coding such a USB interface.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users