• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flange squeal Setting it up in routes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 February 2023 - 06:11 AM

First time posting here (not sure if this is the correct place to put this, apologies if isn't correct).
My mistake if I am missing something, but is there a way to set up flange squeal to work on routes? I've seen some say it's coded in the game by default but I haven't experienced this.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

#2 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 08 February 2023 - 06:32 AM

Welcome to club :)
To Your question.
Local changes in track-to wheel sound are being performed in two ways with ORTS.
1. "classic" way - inherited from MSTS: route has defined sound regions (via bridges, switches, tunnels, different ties/trackbed.
2. Automatic way - ORTS new feature: sound is played during movement in curves and over switches.
For both cases appropriate sound files are needed to be present.
For the second way, there is nothing to do with route's "geography", but some configuration have to be specified.
How to do that - there was a paragraph in Manual. Two years back or so, I've tried that and it was successful.
So, I offer you at first to try and understand its principle by yourself, then, we can try to deal with that together.
Good luck.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2023 - 09:02 AM

View PostUnoriginal, on 08 February 2023 - 06:11 AM, said:

First time posting here (not sure if this is the correct place to put this, apologies if isn't correct).
My mistake if I am missing something, but is there a way to set up flange squeal to work on routes? I've seen some say it's coded in the game by default but I haven't experienced this.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

OR Developer Carlos Santucci has provided instructions and a sound kit to set up flange squeal and other track sounds...
First --- OR Manual <<< ink to manual >>> Page 305 Section: 14.4 Automatic switch and curve squeal track sound

Second --- Elvas thread where Carlos discusses and implements Automatic Curve Squeal sounds >>> Auto Curve Squeal
Carlos's Post #12 contains a link to the Sound package

By searching the forums using "Automatic Curve Squeal" you can find threads by other members about problems they may have encountered installing or using the sound package. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gifgood luck, enjoy.

#4 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler

Posted 08 February 2023 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I've tried those before but with no luck, I plan on trying again when I can.

Another thing I'd like to ask is that I've noticed some freight sound packs (particularly the ones from NAVS and TrainSimulations) have sound files for flange squeals in them. I assumed they would work the same way as the sound kit mentioned in the manual but no luck with those either. Would I be missing something there as well?

#5 User is online   Weter 

Posted 08 February 2023 - 10:05 AM

Author of NAVS is very sophisticated...
But anyway - whatever sounds are not enough: there have to be configuration defined for program to use them as a curve/switch sounds.
In manual, that was described quite simple, so I'm sure, You'll succeed with that.
Otherwise, specify, what and how have You done, and which complications have encountered.

#6 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler

Posted 08 February 2023 - 10:26 AM

Alright, thank you for the extra advice. I'll report back any findings I discover when I have the available time.
I really appreciate the help that was given.

#7 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 February 2023 - 10:02 PM

View PostUnoriginal, on 08 February 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice. I think I've tried those before but with no luck, I plan on trying again when I can.

Another thing I'd like to ask is that I've noticed some freight sound packs (particularly the ones from NAVS and TrainSimulations) have sound files for flange squeals in them. I assumed they would work the same way as the sound kit mentioned in the manual but no luck with those either. Would I be missing something there as well?

They do not. I can't speak for the TS stock, but the NAVS sounds use the curve force to determine the volume of the flange squeal streams, so the flange squeal will only be present when appropriate. Be advised that the wheelbase and truck center parameters will affect this, as will the car length and speed through the curves. You may not get accurate results with legacy stock that doesn't have the new geometry parameters (i.e. wheelbase, truck centers, flange height). The route-based code just plays a sample whenever something is on a curve whether appropriate or not, as far as I know.

#8 User is online   Weter 

Posted 09 February 2023 - 10:54 AM

You are right. Either to play or not to play,

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:54 AM

View PostErickC, on 08 February 2023 - 10:02 PM, said:

... but the NAVS sounds use the curve force to determine the volume of the flange squeal streams, so the flange squeal will only be present when appropriate. Be advised that the wheelbase and truck center parameters will affect this, as will the car length and speed through the curves. ...

That's very interesting Erick, I did not know you designed them in that manner...although with your knowledge of sound files it is not surprising. I'm gonna have to make some time to dig into the files and set everything up. Adding it to the to-do list and looking forward to it.

#10 User is offline   Unoriginal 

• Hostler

Posted 09 February 2023 - 01:00 PM

I did end up getting the DemoAutoSound package to work properly, and WOW does it really make the driving experience better.

As to what erick said, its interesting to know how those sounds are set up. Might have to start setting that up on my rolling stock too.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users