#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:07 PM

File Name: Milwaukee Road 261
File Submitter: ATSF3751
File Submitted: 03 Jan 2023
File Category: Steam Locomotives, 20th century (Open Rails only)

WARNING - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - WARNING

While I've done my absolute best to make sure everything works properly - I make no guarantees, warranties, or promises - this software is provided - as is - for use at your own risk.

=== SIMULATOR ===

The model is setup for Open Rails only - the current ENG/WAG files will not work in MSTS.

Open Rails (the free open source train simulator)
http://www.openrails.org/

=== LICENSE ===

FREEWARE: The user is hereby permitted to - use - modify - and - upload - the contents of this file - with EXCEPTIONS listed below - for non-commercial purposes only. Use your head and just please keep it FREE folks - as I've put hundreds of hours into this work. Please include my README with any subsequent uploads of the model or any of the parts contained within. This pertains to my work alone and not the contributions others have made listed below - seek permission from them BEFORE uploading any of their work.

All contributors retain the rights to their respective contributions.

These engines were purchased by THE MILWAUKEE ROAD in response to the demands of longer, heavier passenger and freight trains in the 1940's. The S3s were a group of 10 4-8-4's numbered 260-269 purchased from ALCO in 1944. These engines were equipped with Walschaert valve gear. These were the last steam locomotives ordered by the Milwaukee Road before the end of steam. The S3 class originally had a round smokebox front and no mars light but Milwaukee Road quickly modified them with square smokebox fronts and additionally added the mars lights. originally built as coal burners four of them were converted to oil burners and sent out west to the non electrified gap. All of them were retired by 1954 with 261 and 265 being preserved. Milwaukee Road 261 runs in Excursion service around the upper Midwest and number 265 is on display at the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union, Illinois.

=== PROTOTYPE (Steam Physics Values) ===

Wheel Arrangement: 4-8-4
Drivers: 74" dia
Weight on Drivers: 259,300 lbs
Locomotive & Tender Weight in working order: 460,000 lbs
Weight of Tender with fuel – 364,100 lbs
Fire Box Area – 144 9/16th” x 96 1/4″
Grate Area: 92.6 Sq. Ft.
Total Evaporating Area – 4477.5 Sq Ft.
Total Heating Surface – 1,438 Sq Ft.
Cylinders: (2) 26" x 32"
Boiler Pressure: 250 psi
Tractive Effort: 62,119 lbs
Tender Capacity: 20,000 gals. of water and 25 tons of soft coal.
Tender Type – 12-wheeled; consisting of two 6 wheel trucks

=== CONCLUSION ===

special thanks goes out to Allen Norton who inspired and helped me immensely with TSM. Showing me the ropes when I was first starting to model. I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received by others as well. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modelling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy this model.

Regards,

Brandon Smith

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 January 2023 - 03:44 AM

Hi Brandon,

CONGRATS on completing another fine steam locomotive.

Well done - sir.
:)

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:23 AM

View Postscottb613, on 03 January 2023 - 03:44 AM, said:

Hi Brandon,

CONGRATS on completing another fine steam locomotive.

Well done - sir.
:)

Regards,
Scott

Thank you Scott. It has truely been years in the making and figured it was time to let it loose! Rebuilding the locomotive idk how many times over the years just to get it as accurate as I possibly could was a huge undertaking. Thanks for the support and hope to have more models finished up here in the near future so stay tuned.

Brandon

#4 User is offline   wellsburg 

• Conductor

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:36 AM

Brandon,

Thanks for sharing 261. She had a good work out on the Feather River and performed well.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Mike

#5 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:33 AM

Hello, Brandon.
I've made a test-ride on 261.
Looking very impressive.
Also, found some issues:
Spoiler

I'm going to fix some of them, so can post *.eng-file here then. Already fixed issues are shown that way
Crew is without textures, cabview is absent (would You specify in annotation, where aliased Berkshire cab should be acquired, please)
What is the purpose of the second model of the same water tender?
Thanks for such New-Year gift and take my congrats with release.
Here is the fix for #261 circa 1999
Attached File  261'99_fix.zip (8.65K)
Number of downloads: 9

#6 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:01 AM

Holy Cow! What a nice surprise to find your #261 arrived in our file library! I got mine and will install shortly. Thank you so much, Brandon. She looks great.

And congratulations.

#7 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:09 PM

View PostWeter, on 04 January 2023 - 07:33 AM, said:

Hello, Brandon.
I've made a test-ride on 261.
Looking very impressive.
Also, found some issues:
Spoiler

I'm going to fix some of them, so can post *.eng-file here then. Already fixed issues are shown that way
Crew is without textures, cabview is absent (would You specify in annotation, where aliased Berkshire cab should be acquired, please)
What is the purpose of the second model of the same water tender?
Thanks for such New-Year gift and take my congrats with release.
Here is the fix for #261 circa 1999
Attachment 261'99_fix.zip

The water tender and extra passenger cars are just a bonus. The Milwaukee Road 261 carries them around and is part of its fleet of cars while it goes on excursions. I didn't realize there were two water tenders in the pack. I eventually do plan on releasing a second water tender for it of the same as there have been some modifications to it over the years. The Earling is its original tool car that was aquired back in 1993. Originally it did not have port hole windows and was added in at a later date. The Water Tender was acquired in 1995ish. The other two baggage cars were acquired at later dates. The ex UP Baggage car is used as the 261 concession car and the NP baggage car is our bar car.

Thank you Tim. That means a lot coming from you! I figured it was about time I release it after having it sit on my PC for about two years. I plan on coming out with more stuff in the future so stay tuned.

For the cab to work you must have MSTS NKP Berkshire / Kanawha 2-8-4 installed for the cabview to work properly. You can find that download over at Trainsim.com

Brandon

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:15 PM

I've meant, there are two models of water tender, and one is somehow combined with coal pile shape. Looking like an error.

The Earling is its original tool car

Does it mean, that car always accompany the locomotive, or it's just nowadays neccessary measure, as there could not be any shop to repair 261 during it's journey?

concession car

What is it?

#9 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:43 PM

View PostWeter, on 04 January 2023 - 12:15 PM, said:

I've meant, there are two models of water tender, and one is somehoe combined with coal pile shape. Looking like an error.

Yes that accidentally got in there. I meant to delete it and forgot. Feel free to delete the file that says Watertender2 and that should fix the issue.

Yes the Earling Baggage car usually always accompanists the 261 along with the other two baggage cars. The Earling is always right behind the locomotive or water tender and the other two baggage cars are scattered throughout the rest of our passenger consist.

The concession car is where we sell snacks, merchandise and other stuff during our excursions.

I will eventually be building our whole fleet of passenger car equipment when time allows and will be releasing it as well so you will have a full realistic consist behind the locomotive to pull.

Fun fact- The ex NP baggage car/Bar Car used to be from the FRISCO 1522 fleet of passenger cars and used to be there baggage car back in the day.

Here are a couple of short videos I shot of what our consist usually looks like just to give everyone an idea. All of the passenger cars in the videos are our own fleet except for the Dome car that is in Illinois Central paint. Also the videos are both on the Ex Milwaukee Road mainline in Minnesota that the 261 used to run on in regular service!

https://www.youtube....h?v=SHCZi-DFMEY

https://www.youtube....h?v=1DLO5fjo6hk

Brandon

#10 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 August 2023 - 06:00 AM

G'day.

I am unable to get the support cars for this addon to appear in the game. Has anyone else had this problem?

Would anyone have a consist created that they could share?

Thank you for any response.

KevinB

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users