Elvas Tower: How? -- VAlley pass train onto a trainsimulator route - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How? -- VAlley pass train onto a trainsimulator route Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:03 PM

Hi, gents.
The third, and still risqui way is moving several routes to one installation profile.
Risqui, because they might have different global files with similar names, and most likely - use different track section sets.
So, once global files would be messed-up, there would be the risk, that objects in particular routes would me messed too.
But, one will have all trains of the installation profile available on every of routes, situated there.

#12 User is offline   ightenhill 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:03 AM

In simple terms my ? is how to use other vendors trains in a trainsimilutor route.. When i use the drop down menu to select Trainsimulator as the floder to look at I cant see other Vendors Trains - all I see are the trains that originally came with various TRainsimulator routes. Thogh I can see for example the BNSF scenic or my Mcatier stock in the Seligman route (But thats obviously because these are all Trainsimulator products)

Just to confirm I have no folders in the open rails folders.. When I said OPEN rails Content folder thats a seperate folder I created myself on the root of the SSD just for my content and downloads.

#13 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:22 AM

Hi,
You can add any stock you like into the TRAINSET folder of any installation, it doesn't matter where it comes from.
Before you can use that stock, the appropriate CONSISTS folder must contain consists using that stock. Those consists may have been supplied with the stock, or you will need to create your own using ConBuilder, TSRE5 ConsistEditor or MSTS Activity Editor.

As you appear to be a user of Open Rails, rather then MSTS, you may find that some older stock needs tweaking to run properly in OR.

Cheers,
Ged

#14 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 25 September 2022 - 08:39 AM

You have a couple choices here.
You can have a trains folder for each content install; Global, Routes, Trains, Sounds, &c.
In this case each folder will have to be managed separately. Any changes will have to be done to every folder.
Or you can do what I do.
I have a main "MSTS" install where everything gets dumped. The Routes folder has hundreds of routes and the Trainset folder has thousands of pieces of equipment. Completely unmanageable.
There are only a few routes that I use on a regular basis so I have them in a separate install. Not really an install, it's just a copy of things copied over from the main folder that I'm interested in.
I also have a separate Trains folder that has the equipment and consists I actually use. It has only 452 pieces of equipment which sounds like a lot but it's what I refer to as the good stuff.
I use a little program called Link Shell Extension to drop a Symbolic Link to my Trains folder wherever I need it. This way I only have one Trains folder that I need to manage and I can use it for any one of several "MSTS" installs I have.

There are probably more ways to handle this but this way works great for me.

Randy

#15 User is offline   ightenhill 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

OK so I tested it by putting the SCE and Zigzag into one new folder and merging the global/trains/trainset etc folders and then pointing OR at that and it worked..So big thanks to all - I was confusing myself I think.

Is it safe to assume I can do the same with Trainsimulator folder that gets created when I installed BNSF SCenic, Seligman and MActier or is there something special about why these install to there own folder

Though re reading I assume your saying its better practice to leave them in their own subfolders

#16 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:46 AM

Yes. You want to leave them in their own folders.
They will mess up your other content if mixed with it.

Randy

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users