Elvas Tower: How? -- VAlley pass train onto a trainsimulator route - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How? -- VAlley pass train onto a trainsimulator route Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ightenhill 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:44 AM

Or any route for that matter..

Heres the scenario Im thinking.. Lets say a user downloads OR and also downloads a few of the Trainsimulator/Streamline routes because they are eay to install when said user does not have a copy of MSTS.

BUT that user then decides "Oh I like the look of x or y" from Valley PAss or Diesel West etc etc.. Does he/I have to enter that Train into every route I want to use it in or is there a workaround Im missing because Im following the manual and it seems to be telling me there isnt (PS the MAnual also seems to have the file structure labelled as TRAINSETS shouldnt it be TRAINSET

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:00 AM

Just make a consist with the equipment you want to use -- any consist editor will work ( or use an existing consist file and manually edit the file ).

Then choose that consist to run in OR --- after selecting the desired route ...using Explore Route, Explore in Activity Mode or make an activity...or substitute the consist into an existing activity.

TRAINSETS ... is a typo, it is TRAINSET... one of two subfolders ( the other being CONSISTS ) found in the TRAINS parent folder.

#3 User is offline   ightenhill 

• Apprentice

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:27 AM

But that wouldnt work in the case of Thrainsimulation routes - they create there own folder "Trainsimulator" and once OR is looking at that installation profile it cant see consists that are in my open rails folder - it can only see the trainsimulator engines and consists (remember I'm not pointing it at a general MSTS folder as MSTS isnt installed on this laptop)

Or am I missing something blindingly simple

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:03 PM

Re-reading your post...What do you mean by "OR is looking at that installation profile it cant see consists that are in my open rails folder"...what is the file structure of your Open Rails installation. The folder containing the Open Rails program - the exe files - should NEVER have any content in it...consists, trainset, etc.
The Trainsimulations content folder still has the four basic folders needed by OR...GLOBAL, SOUND, ROUTES, and TRAINS ( containing TRAINSET and CONSISTS folders ) You can put extra stock in the TRAINSET folder -- I have Diesels West, BLW, and Tiger Trains in mine, plus downloads from Elvas and TS.com. Nothing wrong with that... and any consist editor can be pointed to these locations. I make all sorts of consists to run on the Mullan, and other Trainsimulations routes.
If you have pointed OR towards the Trainsimulations folder, using the content tab, it will see the routes, consists and trainset folders.

#5 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:20 PM

Gerry,

Danny wants to use TS stock with another mini route.
TS stock is only available with TS routes because of the mini setup.

Danny,

There are 2 ways to do this:-

1. Copy the stock you want to use to the new location,
2. The very more dangerous way is to use Junctions to have all rolling stock in the one location.

I use a program called "JunctionLinkMagic" that can set virtual folders so all rolling stock can be in the one place.

#6 User is offline   ightenhill 

• Apprentice

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:21 PM

Ah so that answers my ? - I simply put them in the Trainsimulation Trains folder.. I think I was getting confused because I have a Folder structure for the Scottish free download (Which I have put into an OPEN RAILS COntent folder and also the ZZ route installs itself somewhere else in its own folder..

So basically to run a particular Trainset on a route I must first move it into that routes main folder.. (ie TRAINSIMULATOR - TRAINS - TRAINSET) but if I want to run it in a route thats not a Trainsimulator route I must copy it into another routes folder. Never had this problem when I had MSTS installed as well - I presume it just always new to look in the MSTS folders

#7 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:44 PM

>(Which I have put into an OPEN RAILS COntent folder and also the ZZ route installs itself somewhere else in its own folder..

Do not have content under an open rails folder, any automatic update will delete the open rails folder structure before installing the new version.

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:55 PM

View Postengmod, on 23 September 2022 - 02:20 PM, said:

Gerry,
Danny wants to use TS stock with another mini route.
TS stock is only available with TS routes because of the mini setup.

Well, you appear to have solved the problem...whatever it was and that's the important issue.
However...I don't think it was using Trainsimulations stock with another miniroute...because in the first post there was mention of Trainsimulator - SLI routes and then using BLW or Diesels West stock...So...I assumed it was using other stock in a TS install profile. ...so much for my assumptions. I also am concerned that he may have stock content within the OR program folder....that as you said will result in its deletion.

View Postightenhill, on 23 September 2022 - 09:44 AM, said:

BUT that user then decides "Oh I like the look of x or y" from Valley PAss or Diesel West etc etc.. Does he/I have to enter that Train into every route I want to use it in or is there a workaround Im missing because Im following the manual and it seems to be telling me there isnt (PS the MAnual also seems to have the file structure labelled as TRAINSETS shouldnt it be TRAINSET

#9 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:12 PM

Hi Gerry,

You are correct, I was going the wrong way, but the op got the idea. :-)

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:27 PM

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cheers3.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gifDerek, let's hope the next post from the member is not this >>> I just updated OR and all my stock disappeared!....how many times have I read that!!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users