• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails Switching Activity Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:18 AM

Hi Chris,
About the fourth SHIFT+F5 I get a screen that shows what brakes are or are not applied, what handbrakes are or are not applied by individual car. All the white writing on the screen in the screenshots I've been posting. It was suggested that that has moved somewhere in v1,4 but it's not in the manual where.

Sorry, trying to quote cesardl but it's not working. The way it's working is I start an activity with the engine at the roundhouse. I have to pump up the air there before moving. If I couple to a cut of cars that has their handbrakes set to 100%, and I use SHIFT+; to release the handbrakes, I'm fine, I can start switching cars. If the cut of cars does not have any handbrakes applied I have to connect the air hoses and then I'm expected to pump up the air for the entire cut before I can release the brakes and switch, then I have to close valves before uncoupling. In a flat yard this isn't necessary in real life.

As I've said before, OR is randomly applying handbrakes to about 25% of loose consists. Withing having the HUD with the proper information showing you never know what cars have handbrakes and what cars don't. Can get pretty fustrating to pick one car up, release the handbrake and back out, pick then next car up and when you toggle the handbrake it get applied and you have to stop and the only why to get moving is to connect the air and pump up the brakes.

Paul :-)

#22 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:31 AM

I think the command is now Alt+Shift+F5 instead of Alt+F5.

If the cut of cars does not have any handbrakes applied I have to connect the air hoses and then I'm expected to pump up the air for the entire cut before I can release the brakes and switch, then I have to close valves before uncoupling. In a flat yard this isn't necessary in real life.

You have to bleed off the brake valves if you wish to move a consist without connecting the air hoses. This is the same in real life, the only difference is that leakage will completely empty the reservoirs after some time.

As I've said before, OR is randomly applying handbrakes to about 25% of loose consists. Withing having the HUD with the proper information showing you never know what cars have handbrakes and what cars don't. Can get pretty fustrating to pick one car up, release the handbrake and back out, pick then next car up and when you toggle the handbrake it get applied and you have to stop and the only why to get moving is to connect the air and pump up the brakes.

There is a keyboard command to release all handbrakes at once (I'm not sure about the key combination as I use a Spanish keyboard). I'm not sure about why OR is applying handbrakes at random.

#23 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:51 AM

View Postcharland, on 23 May 2022 - 07:18 AM, said:

About the fourth SHIFT+F5 I get a screen that shows what brakes are or are not applied, what handbrakes are or are not applied by individual car. All the white writing on the screen in the screenshots I've been posting. It was suggested that that has moved somewhere in v1,4 but it's not in the manual where.

Yes, it is in the manual - you'll find it here:

Attached File  2022-05-23 16_47_00-Manual.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg (122.17K)
Number of downloads: 1

As I've posted before, we need a better way to let users know about changes, especially if they are not reading the forums.

#24 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:13 AM

I spent 14 months building the route, I don't have a lot of time to sit and read the forum. When you're pissed off it gets a little harder to find things in a manual! I'll reinstall v1.4 and check it out... SHIFT+Alt+F5, wouldn't have guessed that!

#25 User is online   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:28 AM

Paul,

You don't have to uninstall and reinstall OR.
Several different versions of OR can coexist on the same computer. Just give the install folders different names.
Attached File  orinstl.JPG (14.17K)
Number of downloads: 0
When you create desktop shortcuts name them to match the versions.
Attached File  dsktp.JPG (12.18K)
Number of downloads: 0
I know you know this but others may not.

Randy

#26 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 23 May 2022 - 09:05 AM

Yes, thanks, just slipped my mind, I had both installed at the same time the other day Randy!

#27 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:43 AM

After finally getting the Z path to work last night I ran train 46 from Timmins to Porquis Junction. At Porquis Junction the train has to pick up three passenger cars brought down on train 146. You don't know before you couple and release the handbrakes of a loose consist, but this loose consist had no handbrakes and the result was the entire train went into emergency and I then had to connect the air and pump up the brakes (OK I used SHIFT+/).

https://images2.imgbox.com/39/d0/aTpp3DBE_o.jpg

#28 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:01 AM

Did you try to bleed the valves instead? Doing that would allow you to move the train without the need of connecting the brake hoses, if that is what you'd like to do.

#29 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:39 AM

That is very prototypic procedure, by the way...

#30 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 24 May 2022 - 05:51 AM

I think you're missing what I'm trying to tell you. When you set up an activity, Open Rail is randomly putting handbrakes on about 25% of the loose consists, and no handbrakes on the rest. If you couple to a loose consist that has handbrakes on, and use SHIFT+; to disengage the handbrakes, you can then move the train. If you couple to a loose consist that has no handbrakes and use SHIFT+;, you entire train goes into emergency. Open Rail should be applying 100% handbrakes to every loose consist at the beginning of an activity.

As far as me having to pump up the air because that is prototypical, I was going to pick up the three cars, back on to my train, them connect the air and pump up the air. That would have been prototypical too!

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users