• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabview Window Alpha Issue Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:29 PM

The issue is solvable, but it needs to be solved in the OR source code. The issue appears to have started when the conversion to 64-bit occurred. Prior to that point in time, the geometry in our 3D cab views did not, and still does not have an issue. We just need to wait for a programmer that has the time and inclination to find and fix the problem, or provide a stable solution that cab builders can implement.

I stopped adding any more fancy stuff or trying to find 'work arounds' as these can be broken later when the actual cause is resolved. In the mean time, I have no shortage of other projects that need some attention.

Cheers,

Marek.

#12 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 25 July 2023 - 08:26 AM

I just ran into this issue, at first i just made the windows part of a Freight Animation since i knew 8 bit transparency worked there, but this time i tried the editing the s. file and changed Texdiff to BlendATexDiff as suggested and that works, then I look at the py script and changed Texdiff to BlendATexDiff witch resulted in a s. file with only one shader named BlendATexDiff and that also worked, then in 1.4 (where it did not work) I saw if I moved backwards the windows stared showing, so I set the objects Origin to Geometry(as some one suggested) in Blender 3.6 and that works both in 1.4 & 1.5 without needing any freight animation, editing of S. file or hacks. The Windows object materiel is set to normal lighting and Alpha Blended transparency, and the texture is a DDS DXT5.

Now the light in the narrow window makes it looks like it's a little bit steamy
Attached Image: Windows2.jpg

Now I want it animated, FS2004's 15 fps rain VC animation was not that bad and is way better than FSX's nothing.

#13 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 July 2023 - 09:59 AM

So you are saying that for CABS, you "set the object's Origin to Geometry" instead of "world origin" and it works?

#14 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 July 2023 - 10:10 AM

View Postpwillard, on 25 July 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

So you are saying that for CABS, you "set the object's Origin to Geometry" instead of "world origin" and it works?

It will work so long as all objects with 8-bit alpha have pivots within 1.5m of the camera eye at all times - so if you move the camera further than 1.5m from the window's pivot, the alpha will render as 1-bit. You also need to have at least two distinct images (not materials, images) specified in the model. Because my cabs are designed to minimize drawcalls and typically use a single texture, I get around this by assigning a material that uses a copy of the texture to at least one part, then editing the shape file to have two references to the same image after export (which is when I have to set the image paths anyway).

It's a bit tedious and I wish they would set this distance to something a lot greater than 1.5m, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for anyone and I don't think it will get fixed any time soon. 3D cab rendering doesn't seem to be much of a priority in general. The latest testing versions of OR have issues with animated nodes disappearing when the battery switch is off, and nobody really seemed interested in analyzing that bug, either.

#15 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 25 July 2023 - 10:45 AM

I have had this problem with my 3d cab, but it seems to be solved for me - at the moment.

It was moving the origin of the object that worked for me, as I described in another thread.I can move the camera where I like in the cab or outside, and the transparency remains stable and visible.

http://www.elvastowe...post__p__294599

I am happy to share my model with anyone who wants to verify this on another installation.

Erick - I don't attempt to minimise drawcalls on a 3d cab. After all, there is only ever going to be one of them in view at any time, and I have never had any fps issues. Why make life harder on myself?

Cheers,

Geoff

#16 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 July 2023 - 03:52 PM

I don't think it's making life harder at all - managing 100 images (and their associated materials) on a single model is tedious and annoying when there's ample room in a single map for everything, and I don't even want to imagine how much extra effort would go into baking a whole bunch of images or building layered paint kits for them. I'd rather manage one texture with everything in it. I also don't want to deal with the clutter of a whole bunch of parts that could be merged into a smaller number of parts that are easier to manage.

#17 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 25 July 2023 - 05:01 PM

View Postpwillard, on 25 July 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

The Window came from the Cab box and had it's Origin close to 0,0,0 setting it to Geometry placed it in the middle of the 3 windows and therefor within 1.5m of the ORTS3DCabHeadPos ( 0.655 2.5 5.025 )

#18 User is offline   akioyamamura 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 August 2023 - 10:31 AM

I found a easy way to solve the problem. Try to export window shape and texture to the main locomotive folder, then include the shape as a frightanim at the .eng file, with the visibility only to the cad 3d.

ORTSFreightAnims
(
MSTSFreightAnimEnabled( 1 )
FreightAnimStatic
(
SubType( Default )
Shape( "glass.s" )
Offset( 0, 0, 0 )
Visibility ( "Cab3D" )
)
)

• 2 Pages +