Elvas Tower: A Dutch steamengine - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Dutch steamengine Let's see what glTF would mean for some models Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Rj Zondervan 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

Thanks! The 'flat tires' are a known issue to me, I hoped to fix it by moving the pivot of the root object, but it seems that is not how glTF works, so I will have to raise the whole model by 5 cm.

#22 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:54 PM

Not for You only: all these 19 years I use to here about it.
The recent time-yesterday.

#23 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:48 PM

Very nice.

#24 User is offline   Rj Zondervan 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:35 AM

View PostWeter, on 09 August 2022 - 04:29 PM, said:

Pictures 2 and 4 are similar Here.
Was it a mistake?

It was, thanks for noticing. Replaced 2 by the correct screen (screen 2 and 4 were taken exactly a minute apart, so very similar filenames).

#25 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:51 AM

About Images themselves: I think the wheel threads are not so smooth, so the reflection would be more diffused, less like a mirror; while handrails, rods and reverce gear might have a bit more of metal gloss.
As well, steam dome and boiler's "belts" demonstrate PBR abilities the best way, but it's hard to expect, that real engine will be so neat polished every day.
Anyway, the screenshots are demonstrating the great job, made by You.

#26 User is offline   Rj Zondervan 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 August 2022 - 03:30 AM

For the wheels: it depends, but I'm still experimenting what would be the best. The rest of the machine: the shinyness in the simulator is more than I expected, so I might diminish that a bit, but the bare steel of these machines is usually not that polished in the pictures I have in my collection. In the status this machine is in however, it represents the status in the days that the crew was expected to keep the bare metal parts as clean as possible. In later years this indeed stopped happening, but by that time the copper pipes had been removed (by placing a second injector instead of a feed water pump) or replaced by steel ones and the brass domes were replaced by steel ones painted in the same green colour as the rest of the engine.

#27 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 13 August 2022 - 03:54 AM

Wheels-just a little more rough, I've meant :)

Rigging-I didn't mean "polished" but more likely "sanded", though even sanded steel surfaces have some kind of dim silver-like shine, very diffuse, but allowing clearly recognize the metal nature of material. Currently, these parts (please excuse me, that's just my feeling) are looking on screenshot as if they were made of light-gray ceramic. Or painted/anodized aluminum.

Yes, like sale ships, which are cared by well-trained crew, all bras parts are maintained in clear condition.
Everyday cleaning causes tiny scratches, making reflections a bit more diffuse, as like for wheels.
But that's great, that engines had such decorations. They looked much more magnificent.

The other reason, causing that mismatch for my eyes is the rails condition: real rails on busy lines are really shiny, so there wouldn't be so much contrast with wheels, but the rails on screenshot do have matt surface.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users