Elvas Tower: A Dutch steamengine - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Dutch steamengine Let's see what glTF would mean for some models Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rj Zondervan 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 05 March 2022 - 11:07 AM

Over the past years I have been building primarily Dutch steamengines for OpenRails and previously also for MSTS (with sometimes also outings to German, Belgian and Swedish machines). Being in the process of rebuilding one of the most well-known machines of the Dutch railways, the 3700 series, the experiment by gpz for the support of glTF 2.0 came at exactly the right moment: the moment that I was creating the first new textures.

This resulted in me taking the challenge of creating PBR textures for the machine, as it has quite a lot of bare metals (mainly copper and brass, but also a lot of bare steel).

Now, a few screenshots of how that turns out:

Attached Image: Schermafbeelding 2022-03-05 193842.jpg
Attached Image: Schermafbeelding 2022-03-05 193951.jpg
In these screens we can see most clearly the following effects:

- The effect of glass with reflections
- The effects of a bump map and a combination of metalness and roughness maps on the fire chest and the cab, combined with a dented normal map to mock irregularities in these flat sheets of metal.
- The effect of a rough, but bare crown of copper on the exhaust
- Bare metal with a normal map to show have a small indent for letterings (the number plate (bronze) and the factory plates(brass))

Attached Image: Schermafbeelding 2022-03-05 194327.jpg
Here we see through the spokes of a wheel a leaf spring that is made with a normal map.

Attached Image: Loc_8.jpg
And finally a render of the engine. It shows clearly the brass effects on the steam dome and safety valve casing. Also, it shows the oil lamps with brass rings, copper chimneys and a first attempt on a mirror

Overall I am quite pleased in how this is turning out. However, I have still a lot to do, with most noticable that I have to create the same kind of textures for the tender, and I have yet to start working on the 3D cab, but that I can finish after releasing a public beta.
I also have some questions regarding some parts of the implementation of glTF in OpenRails, primarily on animations (Will the naming convention for the animated parts be the same for example) and lights, so I will try to follow Peter's project closely, and keep track of what I would have to change.

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 March 2022 - 11:33 AM

Hi...

From one steam locomotive modeler to another - that's some mighty fine work there - sir. Nice render.
:)

Yeah - PBR textures hold a lot of promise - it was a game changer when introduced into the Flight Sim community.

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2022 - 11:37 AM

Very impressive.
Please think about posting a tutorial about how to texture like that.

#4 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 March 2022 - 04:22 PM

A shining example of what PBR can do. Thanks for providing an example of what may be possible.

Cheers,

Marek.

#5 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:35 AM

Hello.

I would like to ask for pictures to show me as the way of the future in a Facebook group.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#6 User is offline   Rj Zondervan 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:01 AM

Thanks all! It certainly helps that one of these engines has been preserved (although that one engine hasn't been driveable since 2003), and that this series is relatively well documented, even for Dutch standards.

View Postdarwins, on 05 March 2022 - 11:37 AM, said:

Very impressive.
Please think about posting a tutorial about how to texture like that.

I'm working on it, but keep in mind that it will be based on a model in 3DS Max with textures made in Paint.NET, so it might be not really applicable to your model or texture editor (certainly Adobe will have some tricks that are way easier, but I tend to avoid software made by Adobe).

View PostLaci1959, on 10 March 2022 - 07:35 AM, said:

Hello.

I would like to ask for pictures to show me as the way of the future in a Facebook group.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

Hi,

I'm not completely sure what you are trying to ask. If you want to use my screenshots in a facebook group: feel free :), I made this topic to show you all what could be with glTF support, so it would be fair if anyone can use the screenshots to spread that notion ;).

#7 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:02 AM

Lovely lighting effects, and the model itself is gorgeous. I can't read the builder's plate; is it a Beyer Peacock build? It looks British, almost a London & North Eastern Ry. style.

Anyway, well done!

#8 User is offline   Rj Zondervan 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:17 AM

Thanks!

The series were indeed designed by Beyer Peacock, and the screenshots are also of one of the 36 engines built by Beyer Peacock. However, the designs were given in property to the 'company for the exploitation of state railways' in the Netherlands and later on passed to it's successor 'Dutch Railways'. This means that another 53 engines were built by Werkspoor in the Netherlands, 5 were built by Henschel in Germany and 10 by Hanomag, also in Germany between 1910 and 1921.
The engines turned out to be such a success that in 1928 a slightly modified series of 5 was added, built by German factory Schwartzkopff.

#9 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:27 AM

Hello.

Thanks for the permission. If I understand correctly, the model is traditionally made in 3ds Max format and the finished model will be converted to glTF 2.0 format instead of shape format?
Sorry, English is not my native language, I use Google Translate. If I sometimes use slang words or Hungarian railway terms, I turn it aside.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#10 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:29 AM

These engines were designed by the Dutch State Railways (SS = Staats Spoorwegen = State Railways) in 1910, but were indeed based on British designs.
The first 36 units were build by Beyer Peacock.
Others were build by Werkspoor (Amsterdam, Netherlands) (48), Hanomag (Germany) (10) and Henschel (Germany) (18).
Later orders were placed at Werkspoor (1921, 6) and Schwarzkopf (1928, 5).
The last engine was withdrawn in 1958 and is now in the Dutch Railway Museum (no longer operational).

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

@Zondervan : looks like our messages overlapped - seems you type faster!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users