• You cannot reply to this topic

where did all the f5 information go? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:18 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 23 November 2021 - 10:10 PM, said:

Neither of those produce anything for me.

It's weird that multiple people are having problems with the new Alt-F5 shortcut, but not everyone. I wonder if there's an application some people have installed that intercepts it before Open Rails?

For anyone who has a problem with Alt-F5 (or I guess any other shortcut in Open Rails), it might be worth loading the NirSoft HotKeysList utility and checking whether that shortcut is listed.

• Listed: an application is definitely intercepting the shortcut
  • Not listed: no applications appear to be intercepting it, but it is still possible for them to intercept via more complicated ways

#12 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 14 January 2022 - 02:27 PM

Nobody has yet asked:-

What version are you running, Dave.

I run the ORMG version 114 and have no problem.

#13 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:14 AM

View Postengmod, on 14 January 2022 - 02:27 PM, said:

Nobody has yet asked:-

What version are you running, Dave.

I run the ORMG version 114 and have no problem.

That does not seem to be relevant here, since multiple people (myself included) have had no problem with the shortcut in the official Stable Version, Testing Version, or Unstable Version, which means none of the different versions of Open Rails have a fundamental problem.

I would also like to remind everyone that if you encounter a problem with an unofficial version like OR NewYear MG, the first thing to test is the official Testing Version it is based on, so that you know where to report the problem.

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:38 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 14 January 2022 - 01:18 PM, said:

It's weird that multiple people are having problems with the new Alt-F5 shortcut, but not everyone. I wonder if there's an application some people have installed that intercepts it before Open Rails?

For anyone who has a problem with Alt-F5 (or I guess any other shortcut in Open Rails), it might be worth loading the NirSoft HotKeysList utility and checking whether that shortcut is listed.

• Listed: an application is definitely intercepting the shortcut
  • Not listed: no applications appear to be intercepting it, but it is still possible for them to intercept via more complicated ways

Got it, used it. All of the Alt+function keys are listed. Do you know of anyway to determine which app uses them?

#15 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:00 PM

I am getting a bit annoyed by the key assignement for the HUD... if you miss the F5 key, you get... Alt+F4 and you know what that does... http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

Guess I have to change the assigned key in the settings...

#16 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:18 PM

Years ago both Walt and I used the same 2d CAD software and both of us really like the UI: everything was two characters, no use of alt, cntl, of shift. 26^2 possible commands was more than enough. The mouse wheel zoomed, as is common for such applications. Based on my limited experience of computer gaming I'd have to say OR uses far, far more commands than any other game I've played and the need for keys like alt make it more complex.

FWIW I have always believed our world editors are a form of 3d modeling software (esp. relative to Sketchup which does not use 4 port windows)... I suppose my point here is there is much that can be learned from other apps that use a lot of key commands.

#17 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:30 PM

View PostSerana, on 15 January 2022 - 01:00 PM, said:

I am getting a bit annoyed by the key assignement for the HUD... if you miss the F5 key, you get... Alt+F4 and you know what that does... http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

Yep, http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/I-Agree.gif it has happened to me, frustrating, but honestly, my fault.

#18 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:37 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 15 January 2022 - 12:38 PM, said:

Got it, used it. All of the Alt+function keys are listed. Do you know of anyway to determine which app uses them?

Unfortunately, not directly, but I have sometimes had luck with closing each running application one by one (including ones minimised down by the clock) and refreshing the list in HotKeysList. I believe the keys will only be listed if their respective application is running (except for Operating System keys).

View PostSerana, on 15 January 2022 - 01:00 PM, said:

We can change the default key if it's causing problems for people. Ideally it would be Alt and an F-key, but if none of those are safe to use, we can do Alt and another key.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users