Elvas Tower: Customized brakeman viewpoints - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Customized brakeman viewpoints Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

Yes, much preferable, but not implemented yet....thus the five camera is doing double duty. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#22 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 October 2021 - 02:10 AM

At least, every vehicle DOES need four external cameras, tied to its brakeman's (consist composer's) steps, which coordinates are specific for every model.
That would be good practice not to mix it with 5 internal/passenger camera sets.
This way:
Senior Santucci, I appreciate your beginning and declare my hardly support for it.
So, please, go on, if you'll find it possible to continue the development.

#23 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2021 - 11:54 AM

The Camera sets concept I've been suggesting could be tied to these sorts of position specifications such that one defined set could work for 1-10 positions in the lead locomotive and another 1-10 in the rear caboose (assuming there was one) as well as another 1-10 in individual passenger cars. All that would be needed in the specifications shown in the basenote would a number for each defined position to correspond to the 1-10 values defined in each set (which already would specify which unit in the train it was to be used with). I suppose the serial ordering could suffice but numbering each would be more clear visually..

The advantage to the user is not having to remember and use a complex group a keystrokes. Instead it would be pick the set, type the camera number. A standard value for each position around the "clock" would be used in each set so users would know the number 6 camera goes here, the number 8 camera goes there.

#24 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

I've followed your posts on this subject and I can easily see how this would benefit how I like to use the cameras...and by extension to others who would design their sets to their preferences. I like a drone view, looking down on model railroad, also preset FOV's for certain cameras...other specific presets for yard switching and other types of work. IF I understand all this correctly, the camera sets would allow for this type of freedom for each user?

#25 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2021 - 06:07 PM

R H Steele, on 30 October 2021 - 01:56 PM, said:

I've followed your posts on this subject and I can easily see how this would benefit how I like to use the cameras...and by extension to others who would design their sets to their preferences. I like a drone view, looking down on model railroad, also preset FOV's for certain cameras...other specific presets for yard switching and other types of work. IF I understand all this correctly, the camera sets would allow for this type of freedom for each user?

The basic idea is to enhance the concept Kuju created with their camfig file into as many sets of .camfigs as you want that allowed you to switch from one camfig to another in-game and from there have 1-10 defined camera positions. Because camfigs can be complex and mistakes possible I recommended the OR team provide a handful of pre-determined sets, one of which would be the existing OR configuration as the default. IMO these predetermined sets would ideally be pretty much one set per existing camera (e.g., since camera #2 is front tracking the corresponding predetermined set would also be front tracking but it would have at least 8 positions defined). Sets 2, 3, and 4 would met just about all exterior views, set 1 for in cab would remove all the weird keystroke combinations now used. I expect hose would be more than adequate for most but felt there was no reason to prevent people from writing their own.

I also envisioned at least one sophisticated set for a brakeman that covered dismounting the train, walking alongside the train, mounting the train, and walking the roofwalks. That might be one wish too far but there are creative programmers that might be able to pull it off.

Carlo's code, far above, addresses one weak spot in what I had in mind: It gives specific locations inside (or just outside) of individual units whereas what I envisioned was a more speculative guess at what would be right. I'd probably call his example as the front brakeman set. I like his idea for solving the location problem better than what I had suggested because it could be applied to anything up to an including static models placed trackside.

finally I also expected that in due time there would be a realization that certain key commands made sense only for some of the camera sets. Something like having roles -- think job -- and with that in mind then a linkage between the type of camera set and a list of commands. It could be set up some some roles would see different sprite text above the train... something like the brakeman set having commands for throwing switches, connecting air hoses and seeing initials and car numbers above cars and the conductor set seeing different role specific sprite text above cars, perhaps lading and consignee name.

#26 User is online   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:08 PM

Dave, some of mentioned ideas were implemented in RTS (russian train sim) project, based on MSTS advanced version: e.g. the passenger's role (not just fixed 5 camera, or shiftable, as with ORTS), or driver's assistant (US conductor) role, when you are inspecting consist, performing uncoupling, confirming coupling and then-connecting hoses, operating angle cocks, or distributor levers (plain, mountain, empty, loaded modes), throwing manual switches, or train composer's role, when you traveling from point to point, hanging on car's step, during shunting operations...
Unfortunately, non of its developers went here...
I strongly believe, that inspiration will, some day, re-visit Carlo and we will get another gift from sunny Italy: the new miracle point of view.

#27 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:00 AM

Thanks Weter.
At the moment I'm active on this http://www.elvastowe...2d-and-3d-cabs/ , but maybe in the future I'll return to the brakeman.

#28 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:17 AM

Here's my alternative suggestion. Program a modified "8" view that allows the camera view to be moved anywhere on or in proximity of the player train, but moves with the train.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users