• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails 1.4 is coming soon Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:53 PM

R H Steele, on 27 September 2021 - 01:27 PM, said:

This is something I don't understand...in all branches I've used ( stable, testing, unstable, monogame, ultimate ) my diesel engine exhaust colors have remained constant. No change has been observed.

Sometime in the winter, they complained that the smoke had turned yellow and tried to fix it. The date is roughly the same because version 1.3.1-285-gbe02e15a1 (January 15, 2021) was still good.
I download all the available versions and try to pinpoint them exactly.

https://kephost.net/p/2021/39/4734_41705d93583b.png

The first image is in the January version mentioned.

https://kephost.net/p/2021/39/4742_ab256cc68a6f.png

the second image in c4 version. The code in both cases is: CC FF E0 95

https://kephost.net/p/2021/39/8126_06632d0a2ca4.png

The third image is in the January version mentioned. The code in both cases is: CCFFE095

https://kephost.net/p/2021/39/2126_300a01340451.png

the fourth image in c4 version. The code in both cases is: CCFFE095

I would like to draw attention to the difference in color between the two spellings. My color editing program, which I use to create eng files, doesn't even accept spaces because it's NOT an INTEGER format. The Integer format would be correct because it uses it in the eng file to adjust the color of the lights.

https://kephost.net/p/2021/38/185_0b0346e5d642.png

I loved this content editor because I got the color in the game that I mixed out in the content editor. I put a lot of work into it to make my locomotives unique. I wasn’t happy with the standardization of ExhaustColor (00B1B3CB) either, but I accepted.

This is something I don't understand...in all branches I've used ( stable, testing, unstable, monogame, ultimate ) my diesel engine exhaust colors have remained constant. No change has been observed.

If you do not use the ORTSDieselEngines block you will never notice it, even if you use it but only with the settings specified in the Manual. Try mixing a bluish gray with a program that knows this code. And then you will notice right away.

#72 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:00 AM

The color was still good in version X1.3.1-285, not in the next version U2021.01.22-0336.
Sorry to bother you with such a bagatel thing, but I have a lot of work in it. The standard black smoke is unworthy of the murmur of the NoHab EMD-567 D. That made him a better locomotive.

#73 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:46 AM

James Ross, on 27 September 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

What is the impact here? E.g. what proportion of cab views will be affected, how broken/wrong will they be?

About the proportion, it's difficult to evaluate because I don't know which creators used the power supply related cabview controls.
For France, for example, I would estimate it to 20% of the cabviews being affected.

The kind of impact is, for example, displaying the circuit breaker as open while, in the code, it is considered as closed.

#74 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:44 AM

Laci1959, on 27 September 2021 - 11:53 PM, said:

If you do not use the ORTSDieselEngines block you will never notice it, even if you use it but only with the settings specified in the Manual. Try mixing a bluish gray with a program that knows this code. And then you will notice right away.
I do use the ORTS Specific Diesel Engine definition ( ORTSDieselEngines ) in an OpenRails folder. My setting has always been: ExhaustColor ( 20161819 ). I have not taken the time to "tint" the exhaust color.

#75 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:48 AM

Serana, on 28 September 2021 - 06:46 AM, said:

The kind of impact is, for example, displaying the the circuit breaker is open while, in the code, it is considered as closed.

That's what occurs also in the cab I mentioned in my above post.

#76 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:47 AM

R H Steele, on 28 September 2021 - 07:44 AM, said:

I do use the ORTS Specific Diesel Engine definition ( ORTSDieselEngines ) in an OpenRails folder. My setting has always been: ExhaustColor ( 20161819 ). I have not taken the time to "tint" the exhaust color.

Then I am not surprised that he found everything okay. I would recommend setting 006F81A6.
Although not included, the example of Manual is not good either. If you divide it into pairs accordingly, you will get a completely different color as if you were typing it together.

#77 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:23 AM

Serana, on 28 September 2021 - 06:46 AM, said:

About the proportion, it's difficult to evaluate because I don't know which creators used the power supply related cabview controls.
For France, for example, I would estimate it to 20% of the cabviews being affected.

The kind of impact is, for example, displaying the circuit breaker as open while, in the code, it is considered as closed.

Thank you, this is enough for me to allow the inclusion. :)

#78 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

Laci1959, on 28 September 2021 - 01:00 AM, said:

The color was still good in version X1.3.1-285, not in the next version U2021.01.22-0336.
Sorry to bother you with such a bagatel thing, but I have a lot of work in it. The standard black smoke is unworthy of the murmur of the NoHab EMD-567 D. That made him a better locomotive.

Thank you, this helps a lot!

Although comparing Testing to Unstable is trickier, the differences appear to include the Monogame migration, which is a great place for a problem like this to sneak in.

To make sure we're comparing things properly, I'd like you to try the following two Testing Versions - I have provided download links if you don't have them already:

These are the final XNA and first Monogame Testing Versions, so it should pin down whether that was the cause of this change.

#79 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:54 PM

Thanks, the color is good for the first link, not for the second.

#80 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:55 PM

Laci1959, on 28 September 2021 - 12:54 PM, said:

Thanks, the color is good for the first link, not for the second.

Okay, so having looked through the code, as best I can tell, if you are using the MSTS original "dieselsmoke.ace" then the diesel exhaust is always black (or very close to black) in Open Rails.

Do you know what "dieselsmoke.ace" you are using where the colour changes?

And I am now very much in the mood to replace both "dieselsmoke.ace" and "smokemain.ace" from MSTS with Open Rails versions, so we can make them actually match how we are doing particle colouring.

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users