• You cannot reply to this topic

Coal FreightAnim without Tender Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HSBforMSTS 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 28 August 2021 - 03:00 AM

Hello,

first of all I want to say thank you for OpenRails. I'm from germany and I've build a MSTS route out of my "childhood paradise", the Harz Narrow Gauge Railways.

Some Information:
Original: https://en.wikipedia..._Gauge_Railways
Project: hsbformsts.wordpress.com

My Question:
Since last year I try to made the route and rollingstock suitable for OpenRails only. But I've a problem with the freightanims. There is so much possible with OpenRails, like Loading and Unloading or to have passengers in the passenger cars, but please, how can I get a working FreightAnim of the coal level in a tank locomotive (without using a tender car). The FreightAnim-Shape should move with the consumption of coal. In the manual I don't find a answer, because a "continuous freightanim" would made it possible to load coal to the loco, but the coal wouldn't decrease depending on the coal consumption like intended. It would be possible with a tender, like it works in MSTS. But these locos don't have a tender car. I've tried, if OpenRails will ignore these precondition by paste the line in the *.eng file of the locomotive, but it doesn't work.

A hint how to get these effect would be nice. I think it's possible, isn't it? By the way: I'm working with OR 1.3.1.4328 stable version.

Thank You,
Chris

This post has been edited by HSBforMSTS: 28 August 2021 - 03:08 AM

#2 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 August 2021 - 04:36 AM

You are right the Open Rails freight anim does not work for tender coal either for a tender loco or for a tank loco. You must use the old MSTS type of freight anim to achieve this (which can be in addition to any OR freight anims that you are using. Try this little tank engine: Climax Loco

The piles of wood on the footplate should reduce as you burn them up.

The relevant line being:
FreightAnim ( firewood.s 0.00 -0.6 )

Which works together with the ORTS FreightAnims (but is kept outside of the ORTSFreightAnims ( ) brackets.
ORTSFreightAnims
  (
  	WagonEmptyWeight( 17.0t-us )

EmptyORTSDavis_A ( 618.39 )
  	EmptyORTSDavis_B ( 2.285 )
  	EmptyORTSDavis_C ( 1.075 )
  	EmptyCentreOfGravity_Y ( 2.1 )

FreightAnimStatic (
    	SubType( Default )
    	Shape( lettering.s )
    	Offset( 0, 0, 0 ) )

FreightAnimStatic (
    	SubType( Default )
    	Shape( driver.s )
    	Offset( 0, 0, 0 ) )

FreightAnimStatic (
    	SubType( Default )
    	Shape( hose_small.s )
    	Offset( 0, 0, 0 ) )

FreightAnimContinuous
 	(
  	FreightWeightWhenFull( 8972lb ) 

FullORTSDavis_A ( 663 )
  	FullORTSDavis_B ( 2.882 )
  	FullORTSDavis_C ( 1.075 )
  	FullCentreOfGravity_Y ( 2.5 )
 	)	
  )
)

You can also add MSTSFreightAnimsEnabled ( 1 ) just to be sure.

As with MSTS at the moment all the coal or wood does is to gradually descend through the floor of the locomotive. It would be a wonderful addition if someone could change this to allow the coal or wood to be animated to change shape as it is used up rather than just descending.

https://trello.com/c...ight-animation#

https://trello.com/c...mation-3d-cabs#

#3 User is offline   HSBforMSTS 

• Apprentice

Posted 28 August 2021 - 06:01 AM

Hallo darwins, thanks for your reply.

I've deleted all Frightanims out of the *.eng file to be sure, but added "FreightAnim ( kohle2.s 0.00 -0.8 )" according to the *.eng File of the very nice Climax Loco. Also I've placed the code according to the structure of the Climax Locos *.eng.

The game starts (exploration mode) with 100% coal. The additional Shape is in the right position, as you see in the attached picture. I've waited untill 0% coal, but the kohle2-Shape doesn't move at any time. It should drop into the Shape of the locomotive.

Picture: https://hsbformsts.f...freightanim.jpg

Edit: The Climax has the same problem. The wood doesn't reduce. And for some reason I can't move this locomotive at all, but It's not the point. The point is, even if I change the values from "FreightAnim ( kohle2.s 0.00 -0.6 )" to "FreightAnim ( kohle2.s 1 0 )", the shape stays at the same position. I mean, it's not only the static behaviour, it's also at the same start position, as with other values. So it seems for me, OR doesn't uses the values, althrough it's mentioned in the manual.

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 August 2021 - 07:40 AM

Very strange. Your coal should have dropped by the 0.8m specified. I have just checked the Climax loco in version U2021.08.26-0506 and the wood pile definitely still moves down.https://i.imgur.com/hsyZHeT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ax9zw9z.jpg

#5 User is offline   HSBforMSTS 

• Apprentice

Posted 28 August 2021 - 09:03 AM

Sorry fot that question, but where can I see the state of version, that's given by you? If i run OpenRails, it shows 1.3.1.4328 in the header. After uninstall, new download and install again, it's quite the same version on my system. I've tried also an update and changed the options to "weekly". After this update all my content (routes, trains,...) was gone. Now being back on stable version 1.3.1.4328 and can't find a U....

I've made also an installation of this langley route in an extra orts installation, but the route dosen't work correctly. F.e. the loco as no steam animation (special FX). All in all, I think something with my version of ORTS is wrong and I'm not understanding, how to handle the update?

The Logfile shows:

Version = 1.3.1.4328
Build = 1.3.1.4328 (2000-01-02 02:24:16Z)

Seems very old; right? But I've downloaded it today. Shows me no update in the upper right corner. I did a search for "U2021.08.26-0506" and went to this result page below, but by using the same Build out of the list Windows10 gets crazy.

#6 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:10 AM

Version 1.3 is the stable version. Although the coal animation should work in that version as well as the latest unstable version.If you go to the options section and the updater tab and choose latest unstable version you will get a more recent version.True there are sometimes bugs in the unstable versions, but they are not common.
Current and previous versions are available from https://james-ross.c...jects/or/builds but there is a different location for the Monogame versions.
You can run more than one version if you want. Keep 1.3 in one folder and install a newer unstable version in another folder.

#7 User is offline   HSBforMSTS 

• Apprentice

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:24 AM

In this tab is no option "latest unstable version" or similiar. I can choose the time for updates only and checked "sometimes" (stable). If I choose "weekly" and do an update, OR and all my Content crashes. Windows send me an error about NET Framework. The same error occurs, if I try a download from James Ross website (forgot to mention before, that I searched online for your version and went to this site).

Is it maybe possible, that you install the current stable version from OR-Site, use it without an update and check the animation? It would be important to know, if the stable version works finde or the coal animation didn't work there, like I think. Meanwhile I found out, that animated clocks didn't work in Build 1.3.1.4328, althrough the manual mention it. It's maybe a general problem with animations in this stable version? But wait... turntables work fine: https://www.youtube....h?v=_uW1NZtFRsQ

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:40 AM

Version number is taken from two text files: version.txt and build.txt
So if they were intact, the numbers are retained
Auto update wipes all content of Program folder, so don't put anything of your content there.
So I can advice to download and install testing version from or,org or unstable from jamesross.com
Unpack that to separate folder and try.

#9 User is offline   HSBforMSTS 

• Apprentice

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:53 PM

Good morning,

last night I did an update to the more critical version/build T1.3.1-1920-g1c4a84dbc. And I can say, it works. Even the animated clocks at the platforms are running. But if I copy the *.eng file into my basic version (did stable download without any update online) and use the same options, it doesn't work. Means for me, stable edition did not support the freightanim feature for tenders and not the animated clocks.

To go on it would be helpful, if there is a way to update my basic installation of OR (Build = 1.3.1.4328 (2000-01-02 02:24:16Z) on a pc without internet (security reasons). For example, when the download of the stable version would set a more currently version of OR that includes the announced features. Or if there is a download for an update, to load it on the one pc and copy it to the other for installation.

Important for Development: If I use download "stable version" on my Win10, I have no result for a "stable update". OR just updates on "weekly" or "every day" selection. When I select "stable update", OR stays at Build = 1.3.1.4328 (2000-01-02 02:24:16Z). And on my current installation of T1.3.1-1920-g1c4a84dbc is no uninstall.exe, no version.txt and no build.txt. - Just to let you know, if relevant.

But my initial question is solved. Thank you Weter for all your help and time.

#10 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:26 AM

What can be surprisable, if we take in account, that stable version was designed at 2018?
It just refuse to accept new code features, unknown for it.
WRT security reasons, I can say to you:
ORTS testing/unstable don't require installation atall!
Just download *.zip from OR.org and check it with antivir if needed.
Then you can transfer it to your secured PC and (I recommend to do so) unpack to separate new folder. It WILL run.
You can have as many folders with different ORTS versions as you wish.
Maybe, you will have to clean you registry, but most likely that is no needed.
But note, that automatic update sometimes working faulty and always erase all files at Program folder.
So again: keep all of your content, distributive and patches at different places to protect them.
Prefer manually installation of testing versions-for you to know, what and how are you doing and what is happening then.
Testing version really have no install/uninstall.exe, but you can just simply delete its folder or replace with more recent version.
But in latter case, that's recommended not mix them in same folder for not mess old and newer *.dll-files together. Text files MUST be in zip-archive with installation-try to see carefully.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users