Elvas Tower: Stuttering in OR NEW Year MG - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stuttering in OR NEW Year MG Unusual stuttering although high FPS - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:27 AM

Hi, I need some help with respect to avoiding stuttering even when the FPS is high.

I recently updated OR MG New Year version to the latest Rev 95. Suddenly I started to notice unusual stuttering even when FPS hovers around 60.

1. If I try to use the Stable version 1.3.1.4328 the stuttering is almost zero and is more buttery under same simulation conditions yet FPS being lower than MG versions. Why does this occur? Is there something I need to edit in the setting?

2. Further the stuttering is even more prominent in Rev. 95 compared to Rev. 80.1. Why is this so?

3. In the debug window I observed that the Updater process is around 20% in the stable 1.3.1.4328 version whereas in case both MG versions, updater process is at its max 100%.
Is this how it should be, or is this the reason for stuttering?

4. Doesn't the testing version include ORTS_BATTERY and ORTS_POWERKEY feature?

I also did try it with Testing version, stuttering did prevail to the same extent as New Year MG version, but I guess this concurs with the fact that the testing version has the OR New Year MG code merged in recently in March.

If I set auto-tune parameters to give FPS around 50/60 the auto tune reduces the viewing distance to 500 and sets the detail bias to -85% and the simulation looks weird.

I am attaching log reports here.

Appreciate your efforts to help me sort this out

Thanks.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:34 AM

Hello,

Do you have verbose ENG/WAG messages enabled under "Data Logging" ?

I vaguely remember having similar stuttering when I had ticked that once, and probably for good cause as my rolling stock was likely throwing a lot of errors.

With that option disabled I am running now with no stutters.

Hope that helps.

#3 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for your input. No. I have just enabled "Log Performance data" in the Data Logger tab.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

What occurs if you uncheck "Log Performance Data"?

#5 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:16 PM

Csantucci, on 05 April 2021 - 12:48 PM, said:

What occurs if you uncheck "Log Performance Data"?

It doesn't improve much. I am attaching two set of videos to showcase the stuttering effect seen between OR MG version and the stable version.

Link to the videos for comparison:

Rev 95

Stable

Rev. 78

#6 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:54 AM

I did a comparison with older versions of MG and it seems to perform better compared to the newer versions, although not much buttery. I had updated the video links above for better comparison on the performances.

#7 User is offline   sim-al2 

• Hostler

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:34 AM

Since you have a laptop, could you check to see what settings are set by default in the Nvidia control panel? It's possible that OR is running on the integrated graphics by default instead of the Nvidia card (OR has always done this on my laptop). It's also possible that the Nvidia card is going into a power saving mode, especially with something like a RTX 2070 so you might want to change the power management mode for OR specifically to prefer maximum performance as a trial.

Note that you usually need to manually add Open Rails (the RunActivity executable to be specific) to be able to set program-specific settings.

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:10 AM

Having taken a close look at the three videos, The FPS are very low for a system using an i7 and an RTX video card. I agree that it is most probably using the onboard Intel video chip. I had the same problem with my desktop machine and had to force the use of the Nvidia card. I use a 1050Ti GTX card with 4gb with an o/c i5 with Open Rails locked to my monitor refresh rate. Everything runs extremely smoothly even with a lot of AI traffic in the scene.

#9 User is offline   Icik 

• Conductor

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:14 AM

But this is a known monogame problem. On demanding routes, the Stuttering is reflected independently of the powerful HW. The only solution is to force VSYNC synchronization at 60FPS or 1/2 VSYNC on 30FPS. Simulation must run in fullscreen. Then the simulation is completely fluent. This can be set in the graphics card drivers.

#10 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:18 AM

sim-al2, on 06 April 2021 - 04:34 AM, said:

Since you have a laptop, could you check to see what settings are set by default in the Nvidia control panel?

I have done this for the RunActivity.exe already. The above videos are under the settings as shown below.

Attached File(s)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users