• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadows Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:39 PM

In that case, since tomorrow is Monday and I will be heading out for another week's worth of academic brutality, I will attach the GMax source files so that interested users can build custom embankment shapes.

Attached File  embankment_D.zip (10.53K)
Number of downloads: 285

The texture will need to be placed into the same directory as the project file, and it will need to be uncompressed without mipmaps (or GMax will throw a fit).

#52 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:29 PM

This post is for Eric. Thank you very much for making the replacement 200m embankment. As David said, this one works fine and accepts shadows correctly. I have used it to make via Shape File Manager the remaining straight shapes, 100m, 50m, 20m and 10m. This leaves the curved embankment shapes to be made. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Gmax nor do I have the skill to create accurately curved embankments in TSM, which is the modelling program I currently use. What is needed are left and right curving embankments in 1000, 2000, 5000 and 7000 meters radius and 0.5, 1, 2.5 and 5 degrees of arc (except for the 1000m radius which does not need the 0.5 degrees arc). The naming convention used by the current embankments which need to be replaced follows the pattern embank_c_2x1000m_1dl_15m.s, which is the name for the two-track 1000m radius 1 degree left curving embankment. I am not sure what the final 15m represents, possibly the width of the embankment at its base. I know this is a lot to ask but is this a project you could undertake on my behalf? I would be extremely grateful and would, of course, give you full credit in the credits file which accompanies my Chilterns route. I know that David Forrest, who initiated this whole thread, would greatly appreciate any help you can give too.

Martin

#53 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:50 PM

I could possibly attack that this weekend. I would honestly just build the curves such that there was a segment for every 0.5 degrees of arc, so that I would make the biggest arc, then just delete polys and re-export to create the smaller ones. Effectively, I would only be making one model for each radius.

#54 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:22 AM

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be simpler to use shorter 050m length straights and utilize the TSRE autoplace function to spread them along the curvature of your track?

You could also place them manually and let the "stick to track" function drag them around the curve. I've been doing that more and more with scenery placement, especially with objects that have an offset axis.

Can't imagine it would look that different from extruding an arc, and might be more efficient as far as memory goes...

#55 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:06 AM

Yours is a good idea, eolesen, if I was starting from scratch in placing the embankments. However, what is needed here is replacements for existing embankments so that it is not necessary to go through the whole route changing every curved embankment already in position, which simply isn't feasible. The solution is to produce new shape files that can simply overwrite the existing .s files in the SHAPES folder. Therefore, I will gratefully accept Erick's suggestion, which sounds like a quick and relatively easy way to produce the needed shapes.

Slightly off topic, Erick's production of the straight embankment has led me to explore Gmax. I realize now that it is so much more powerful than TSM that I would like to make it my modelling program of choice. I have the Train Simulator Gamepack version installed but whenever I try to export a model, even the simplest box, I get a "subscript out of range" error. Any ideas?

Martin

#56 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:22 AM

I think I have solved my export problem. I didn't have any LODs set.

Martin

#57 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:41 PM

I don't know that I got the naming convention 100% right, but try these. They should be a direct fit provided the originals were actually built on the nominal radius.

Attached File  embankment models.zip (87.18K)
Number of downloads: 272

#58 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

Many thanks indeed Eric. I will get back to you tomorrow once I have tested your creations in my route.

Martin

#59 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:01 AM

Excellent job, Eric! I have now installed your new embankments. They overwrite the originals precisely and show shadows correctly. I am very grateful for you help.

Martin

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users