Elvas Tower: Incorrect brightness matching between terrain and sky - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Incorrect brightness matching between terrain and sky Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

With certain values of overcast and fog an apparently incorrect brightness matching between terrain and sky appears, see pictures (hills on the background):

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-10-28 09-35-52.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-10-26 10-35-31.jpg

I'd say that terrain shouldn't be brighter than sky.

#2 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

This mismatch has been around for quite awhile--probably for a year or more. Adjusting the fog and overcast levels can somewhat mitigate it, but I agree that it's a bug.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

I've noticed it, definitely not real, weird. A bug, but it's atmospheric and probably has low priority. All things related to weather and atmosphere should be fixed, the community and developers have to gauge how important this is.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

I had some first check, setting fog at 2000 m. When Overcast is at zero (absolutely no clouds) the fog effect is uniform on terrain and sky, and no problem is seen. However when overcast increases the sky (obviously) darkens, while terrain seems not to darken, and the problem is seen.

#5 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

Carlo,

I would be careful with this one.

A few years back I spent a few months looking at the .fx files and was rather puzzled by what seems to be arbitrary values for min and max brightness. There are all kinds of things that can be experimented with, especially to deliver non linear gamma and very deep blacks (shadows etc). It seems that mostly there is a compromise to flatten things out as much as possible and to limit the range of brightness. This has unpleasant side effects. I would suggest that you be 101% sure that the color/brightness rendition on your monitor is as close to ideal before you make ANY changes.

As a personal preference, I have always found the terrain to be too bright and "uniformly shiny". I often apply changes to terrain textures to give them a darker slant. But these are my preferences and I am unwilling to suggest that others follow suit.

Ciao,
Steve

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users