Elvas Tower: Activity randomizing - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity randomizing Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

A message is displayed when there is an issue on the player consist.

#42 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

Great feature an thanks for your hard work Carlos on this an MG 3.6 :)

May I ask if there is a plan for random failures to be optional for certain equipped wag/eng files by having parameters that point to probable percentage chance causes over the ones that are less more likely to happen vs ones getting the failure? I want to set a piece of stock that is more likely to get a failure that I am expecting if in consists based on chances for experimental or realistic randomness I set with these parameters an testing each one.

A good example of this engine failure % chance would be traction blowouts where I set my DC motors to have a 50% or more chance to blowout its traction motors over my AC units having a 10% or less to no chances to blowing a traction or bogie. An if I set the % chance to a number representing 100%; that failure is always going to happen on each game load after the random time kicks in.

#43 User is offline   jan111 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails & MSTS

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have downloaded x.3979 but I can´t find the setting for randomize weather in the experimental section

#44 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

View Postjan111, on 09 November 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

I have downloaded x.3979 but I can´t find the setting for randomize weather in the experimental section

Options/Experimental

#45 User is offline   jan111 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRails & MSTS

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 09 November 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Options/Experimental

Thank you, now it works. Wonderful feature.

#46 User is offline   motor1 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Will there be similar issues for steam locomotives?

#47 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

I haven't enough know-how on steamers to think at a common failure, however if there is a suggestion, and maybe with the help of Peter (steamer-ctn) I could think about implementing something.

To ATW: I'd prefer not to add parameters in files only to support the activity randomizing feature.

#48 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 11 November 2017 - 11:50 PM, said:

To ATW: I'd prefer not to add parameters in files only to support the activity randomizing feature.

That’s fine but I’m not really saying to make it available as a parameter only thing getting rid of activity randomizing. But you can say I’m asking for a parameter to equip stock that is more likely to break down based on a percentage chance an those parameters to be used in explore mode when testing or simulating real conditions. Otherwise we can’t simulate careful operating practices for some units an their competitors like GE vs EMD that new tier 4 EMDs are making a number of random failures.

#49 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

In regards to stuck brakes this had me thinking about defect detectors which could address all sorts of issues such as hot box, dragging equipment, high and wide equipment detection ect. It goes along the lines of whats being worked on now, but could be simply tied to an object of the players choosing, or have to be named detector.s so OR knows to look for it. You could even have OR look for detector followed by a number to give multiple detector types in a single route. Then it would be a matter of the player inputting the parameters of the types of random messages he would like to see and set a probability of each happening. If defect is triggered the player gets a message with the predefined message they have set in the config type file. So, I can have one of my defects read in the text file

"Norfolk Southern milepost <NearestMilePost>, <noDefect> total axles <totalAxels> "

"Norfolk Southern Detector Alarm "Hotbox Alarm, Left Side, Axle Number <RandomAxel>"

For axle count, temperature ect this could be plugged in through keywords in the config file. Its all text based and adds a bit more randomization.

So, some useful tags would be:
<AxelCount> total axles on the train
<NearestMilePost> Displays nearest milepost you are near.
<DefectDetected> This will display a random defect based upon the parameters of possible defects available to this particular detector.
<NoDefect> Displays generic "no defect" message.
<Tempreture> If and when possible display current temperature. Some railroads use this, some dont.
<Track> Displays what track youre on track 1, track 2, track 3, track 4 ect.

Sorry to hijack your thread and go a bit off topic, but it seems related to this sort of random problem and delay you are working on and hopefully show defect detectors dont have to be complicated and hard coded tons of messages and that the user can do most of the work himself as long as he has access to basic information contained in tags. Thanks, sorry again.

#50 User is offline   motor1 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

When I save multiple times, the Activity Randomization doesn't work anymore.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users